U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2008, 05:32 AM

7 posts, read 42,184 times

Advertisements

My family is looking to relocate to the Cedar Falls Area this summer. Cedar falls seems a bit big for us. We are used a smaller community where you know everyone. My husband would be working for Deere and does not want much of a communte (20 minutes or less). Are there any small towns outside of Cedar Falls that anyone can recommend? Would Hudson be OK? How are the schools?

Last edited by lynn4959; 04-29-2008 at 05:35 AM.. Reason: messed up
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 07:04 AM

2,073 posts, read 5,067,371 times
I'm from the area and still visit frequently. Hudson is certainly a nice community - and is a very small town that is growing. It's the closest to Cedar Falls you are going to get and still be in a small town. One negative about Hudson is it is one of the most expensive towns in the area besides Cedar Falls as it is becoming more of a popular place to live for people who don't want to be in Waterloo.

There are plenty of other great small towns though including D.i.k.e (will censor if no periods sry) - West about 15 minutes off of US 20. Also check out Waverly which is 15/20 minutes north on 218 - it's a town of about 10,000 so I'm not sure if that's small enough for you. If not, Janesville is between Cedar Falls and Waverly and may fit your needs.

Other towns I would strongly recommend you check out but may be 25-30 minutes are Denver - North of Waterloo in Bremer Co ... or Parkersburg - W. of Cedar Falls on state route 57. Hope this helps.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:40 AM

Thanks so much! I checked out the other towns that you listed. I kind of like Hudson since it's closer. Does anyone know anything about the schools?

Old 04-30-2008, 03:46 PM

2,073 posts, read 5,067,371 times
From what I've heard and know - the schools are very good and very small. I think most of the people know each other there pretty well so that fits what you are looking for. The only negative thing I've heard about Hudson is they are known for being sort of "snooty" but I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Hudson is a nice, clean town - has nice neighborhoods and a cute downtown district.

Old 05-01-2008, 11:00 AM

Thanks Again! I live in a town now that could be considered snooty by some people so I understand that. We will have to go visit to get a good feel!

Old 05-01-2008, 10:58 PM

13 posts, read 66,200 times
Default hudson

I worked in Hudson years ago in my college years at the Kum & Go and loved the people and the town, it has grown now, but I have always said that if I moved back to the Waterloo area, I would live in Hudson.

Old 02-01-2009, 02:45 PM

44 posts, read 174,086 times
I realize this is an old thread...

Hudson- about 10mins from Cedar Falls, a bit snooty, nice new housing development area, good school

D.ike- Nice, easy commute, probably 15 mins, depends which Deere plant. New golf course and new housing community

Traer- 30 minutes, very small town, 1,200 people. Worth a look. Good school

Reinbeck is also ok, probably about 25 mins.

Old 02-01-2009, 10:01 PM

337 posts, read 1,422,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenionthemove View Post
I realize this is an old thread...

Hudson- about 10mins from Cedar Falls, a bit snooty, nice new housing development area, good school

D.ike- Nice, easy commute, probably 15 mins, depends which Deere plant. New golf course and new housing community

Traer- 30 minutes, very small town, 1,200 people. Worth a look. Good school

Reinbeck is also ok, probably about 25 mins.
I will add that Traer is a very cute, clean, traditional small Iowa town. Definitely worth a look!!

Old 03-02-2010, 03:03 PM

1 posts, read 7,631 times
Hudson is a very nice town
also
Denver is about 15-20 mins from cedar falls and is a very nice community. New school just built (2nd-5th grade) also brand new sports complex one of the best in the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or