Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 06:24 PM

23 posts, read 71,386 times

Advertisements

Gee, I hope this doesn't get posted in a political thread. When I did a search for Clinton, I jsut saw comments on the campaign. Anyone live in Clinton? I am thinking about applying for a job there at Mercy Hospital. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 07:26 AM

586 posts, read 2,184,512 times
You would really consider leaving Dubuque for Clinton? That would be a big mistake IMO. Sorry to anyone that hails from there (it's doubtful you live there any longer anyway), but Clinton is one of the dumpiest little cities in Iowa. All the stand-alone Iowa cities in that 25,000-30,000 people range are a tough sell if you ask me, and have some of the biggest problems in the state. Too large for that small town appeal, but large enough to have big(ger) city problems without the resources to pay for improving the problems.

The only plus is that you would be closer to the Quad Cities area.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:24 AM

100 posts, read 534,213 times
Agreed. Moving to Clinton is a mistake.

The town stinks- literally. I was there last year on some business and could not get over the wretched sewer smell that is everywhere. Yuck!

Dubuque has FAR more to offer than Clinton does. If you're not satisfied in DBQ..., I'm not sure what you think you'll find in Clinton. The town is several steps DOWN from the Dubuque area. Good luck!

Old 05-04-2008, 05:30 AM

189 posts, read 417,928 times
We've lived in Clinton for a few years. WHy are you considering moving? What are you looking for in a town? There are things about Clinton that are undesireable, certainly. The small from the rendering plant or whatever it is when the wind is from the wrong direction is one. We like it here, we've made a lot of friends, and enjoy living in a town of this size. I don't know much about Dubuque, although we really enjoyed the Mississipi museum there.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:32 AM

12 posts, read 47,160 times
OK DBQer, so please list "the biggest problems in the state" that Clinton has--I assume you are very familar with the area to make such a blanket statement. I have been to DBQ and it is not the greatest either (IMHO).
The whole town doesn't smell; I should know, I grew up there. The area by some of the plants has an odor, but go 1 block away and it is gone.
Clinton/Camanche are nice small towns. The people, for the most part, are nice and welcoming. Anywhere, big or small, is going to have some negative aspects.
Most of my family is still in Clinton, it will always be home to me.

Old 05-07-2008, 11:24 AM

100 posts, read 534,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marymoon View Post
OK DBQer, so please list "the biggest problems in the state" that Clinton has--
Please show me where I said that...??

Quote:
Originally Posted by marymoon View Post
The whole town doesn't smell; I should know, I grew up there. The area by some of the plants has an odor, but go 1 block away and it is gone.
Ok. Point taken. I was simply speaking from MY experience there, where there was, indeed, a stink in the air.

Old 05-07-2008, 03:16 PM

415 posts, read 1,738,596 times
It has its days where practically the whole town smells, and others where very little of it does.

For example, I went to a Lumber Kings game a couple weeks ago and never smelled "the Clinton smell" once.

Old 05-08-2008, 11:39 PM

137 posts, read 611,726 times
I lived in Clinton in the early 90s for two years. Homes are cheap.

Best parts of Clinton are the north end (Lyons) and west. I'd try to stay out of the south end of town. Things are older and that "Clinton smell." The smell is a mix of the rendering plant and the ahem, corn processing plant. The corn processing plant is the largest offender-- smells like stale beer.

Is Rustrelli's (please excuse my spelling-- I don't remember well) still around? Popular Italian restaurant in Lyons.

Clinton has all the shopping you would expect for a small city except a midlevel to high-end department store.

Would I move back to Clinton? Probably not. My allergy symptoms improved after I moved. I would, however, agree with the above posters-- the people are friendly. I have a few friends I'm still in contact with.

After Clinton, I moved to Burlington for another two year assignment. Burlington seemed to be a little better in terms of condition of housing stock, salaries (at that time in the mid to late 90s) and clean air.

Good luck,
disneyrecords

Last edited by disneyrecords; 05-08-2008 at 11:48 PM..

Old 05-11-2008, 02:00 AM

12 posts, read 37,778 times
I lived in Clinton for about 18 months. I thought it was a nice clean town with nice parks. The riverfront area is pretty and Eagle Point Park is beautiful (better than the park of the same name in Dubuque). Yes there are negatives as any town this size and bigger will have, but you can choose to be a part of that or not. The northwest end of town has very nice neighborhoods.

BTW I worked at Mercy Hospital when I was there (it was Samaritan then). It I found it to be a very progressive hospital that tried to stay ahead of the curve despite it's small size.

Old 09-15-2009, 03:15 AM

2 posts, read 7,392 times
Clinton use to be great but the taxes are just outregeous. (my opinion) I met my wife here and did the civil war events at Eagle Point Park when they had them. The further north you live (Lyons area) the better. I am hoping to be out of here in a couple of years if all goes well. Ohh.. and the streets are terrible. But Bulgers Hollow is nice as well as Eagle Point and the river view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa