Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2020, 03:31 PM

8 posts, read 13,768 times

Advertisements

I've seen articles about pesticide/herbicide drift in IA. Now, I understand why pesticides and herbicides are used--I'm not here to debate if they're good or bad. My question is this: Are there any specific regions in IA where drift is a lot more common, and other areas where it's a lot less common? My uneducated guess is that since agriculture is widespread, the issue of potential drift could come up in most parts of the state, but it would be interesting to learn more about it from people who live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2020, 08:56 AM

4,865 posts, read 6,929,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest&Back View Post
I've seen articles about pesticide/herbicide drift in IA. Now, I understand why pesticides and herbicides are used--I'm not here to debate if they're good or bad. My question is this: Are there any specific regions in IA where drift is a lot more common, and other areas where it's a lot less common? My uneducated guess is that since agriculture is widespread, the issue of potential drift could come up in most parts of the state, but it would be interesting to learn more about it from people who live there.
Your question is more based on field size in proximity to a neighbor's field. Family farms are smaller in much of Iowa than in many parts of our country possibly giving you more fence line neighbors. In fact, you'll find larger fields in NW and North Central Iowa than the rest of the state simply due to land not being as rolling and tree lined. This might drop the fence line neighbors to one, and you could get lucky that this person makes a strong effort to minimize/stop drift.

Any time that you have neighboring farms closer together, you'll have more issues with complaints about chemical drift. If you're buying farm land with the hope of organic farming, you could have problems depending on whether or not your neighbors make an effort to prevent this. Some do, some don't. Just like buying a house in town when you're not from there, it's hard to pick your neighbors, and it only takes one to make life miserable.

Old 09-13-2020, 02:54 PM

Thanks, jmgg. Your points about field size and number of farms are good ones that I hadn't thought of!

Old 09-14-2020, 04:15 PM

77 posts, read 135,501 times
I would make sure that the land to the west of where I wanted to prevent drift were not farm fields as our wind mostly comes from that direction.

As a former beekeeper, I asked many a farmer if they could refrain from spraying when there was any breeze at all that might push it towards one of my nearby bee yards. I don't think I ever had a farmer tell me no.

Old 09-15-2020, 02:50 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,607,055 times
The northeast corner of Iowa has a large number of organic farms, and there is plenty of support for these farms and farmers in that region. Depending on what crops you want to raise, that would be a good location for you. I'd also suggest contacting the Practical Farmers of Iowa regarding this issue; they're a wonderful organization and chock full of good contacts, information, and ideas. They're based in Ames but have a strong presence throughout the state, including Western Iowa, and even have a growing presence in surrounding states. https://practicalfarmers.org/

Old 09-16-2020, 09:56 PM

Thanks for the info, lthenderson and 601. I'm not planning to actually farm; just hoping to grow some organic food for myself. And, in general, my personal preference is to avoid living in an area with lots of chemical spraying nearby, if I can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
View detailed profiles of: