U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2006, 01:45 PM

7 posts, read 25,381 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me about Ames Iowa? I believe Money magazine rated it as a nice place to live. Can anyone provide some info?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2007, 09:14 PM

9,550 posts, read 20,025,196 times
Ames is a nice community. It's home to Iowa State University, so it's got some cultural advantages over similar-sized towns. I live just a few miles south in the bedroom community of Huxley; we attend church in Ames and do most of our shopping, dining, etc there. It's very clean and quiet; seems like it would be a great place to raise a family.

I'd be happy to answer anymore specific questions if you have them.

Old 01-02-2007, 09:28 AM

4,818 posts, read 10,532,358 times
I went to Iowa State in the mid to late 80s and loved Ames. Campus is very pretty and the town is small, but not too small, and provides enough things with the big university there that other cities its size (40-50,000) does not. Plus easy drive to Des Moines if needed. I would recommend it as a place to live. ISU is a pretty conservative campus compared to the more liberal Univ of Iowa. Ames is in a flatter part of the central Iowa.

Dan

Old 01-02-2007, 09:06 PM

1 posts, read 8,622 times
Default Ames Iowa

We recently moved from Ames due to an employer relocation but we loved living in Ames. We would love to move back. The people are very friendly and the schools are very good. There are some great non-chain resturants, popular bands play at ISU, and Des Moines is just a short drive away if you need big mall shopping. We've lived in several states and Iowa has been a favorite. Best of luck!

Old 01-04-2007, 06:29 PM

1 posts, read 8,621 times
We are looking at relocating to Ames from California. My husband is an ISU Vet Med alum and would love to return to CYCLONE country. We are wondering about the elementary schools? Is there anyway (or anyone) that we can find out the truth or behind the scenes information that will help us decide which public schools are the best? Any direction would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Marka; 01-05-2007 at 03:28 AM.. Reason: repaired code

Old 02-04-2007, 10:46 PM

13 posts, read 69,277 times
My husband and I are moving back to that area from AZ in a few months. We have been in AZ for a year and have a chance to relocate there. We have talked to several people about the schools due to the fact we will have one in school in a few years. We are looking at the Ballard school district due to the smaller size. It is the towns of Huxley, Slater and Cambridge. Ames and Ankeny would be larger but we have also heard from parents and outsiders that they are good as well. Good luck with your move too. I will be happy to get back to Cyclone country as well.

Old 02-05-2007, 07:25 AM

673 posts, read 3,961,149 times
I have to admit out of the two large college cities in Iowa that Iowa City is by far the best, Ames on the other hand is a college-town but its fairly run down and doesnt capitalize on having a big college. Such a waste of potential, especially consider that a metro of 500,000 people is just one county to the south.

I found Ames to have a college town feel but it seemed like the neighborhoods were not well kept and just seems boring for being such a large college town. I think everything going on in Ames is confined to the college campus and the rest of the town is far removed.

Ames also seemed very spread out, I think the planners there need to be more imaginative thats for sure!!

I would prefer Des Moines (half hour south) to Ames its more architecturally appealing and more amenities.

As far as college towns, Iowa City is by far the best and is very well planned. Ames should try to emulate Iowa City more!

Old 02-05-2007, 01:21 PM

20 posts, read 127,962 times
Ames is my hometown. It really is a wonderful place & you would love it. It is very pricey for Iowa. Lots of smaller areas around there are worth looking into. Personally, I'd look at Cambridge or Huxley, which are between Ames & Des Moines and easy commute to either place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa