Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 06:15 AM

1,744 posts, read 7,258,771 times

Advertisements

... So how's everyone holding up?

Traffic has been terrible in Des Moines. I was late to work last night due to traffic being backed up. Everyone has to drive 5 mph over the bridges to gawk at everything too, which doesn't help. I know being late for work is small change compared to what some people have gone through so far.

The Des Moines River looks like the Mississippi or something right now and it looks like the water is practically touching the bottom of every bridge. Maybe this weekend I'll get out and take some pictures of the flooding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2008, 08:38 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times
I've been watching the footage from Cedar Falls and Cedar Rapids on the national news, and I'm just heartbroken to see so many families being forced to be rescued from their homes by boat. It's simply awful. Seeing Downtown Cedar Rapids submerged is eerily reminiscent of the Great 1972 Flood here in my area where most of the city of Wilkes-Barre, PA was under water. My thoughts and prayers go out to you in the Hawkeye State from Little Sioux to Cedar Falls to Cedar Rapids to Parkersburg to what will most likely be Iowa City and everywhere in between.

Old 06-13-2008, 10:29 AM

114 posts, read 486,208 times
I live in Iowa city and it isn't doing much better. there are so many mandatory evacuations and road closures that it takes 30 minutes longer to get anywhere. Half of all the activities are not happening because of the flood. They have evacuated a neighboring neighbor by me and I fear that I might be next. WHY CAN'T IOWA GET A BREAK THIS YEAR!!!!!!!

Old 06-13-2008, 11:15 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,679,616 times
Posted this elsewhere before I spotted this thread. Decided to place it here because it's a subject that should be written about.

First, We are in West Des Moines and are high enough to be safe.

I have to give high praise to the officials in the Des Moines area. They have kept on top of the problem, organized volunteers (of which there has been an amazing number), kept everyone informed on a regular basis (they're on TV now telling us about a volunteer evacuation for this afternoon in those areas designated as the 500 year flood plain - it's a pretty big area), and are letting everyone know that the expected crest in the DSM River has moved forward and now stands at 8:00 pm tonight, and that the crest will reach or barely exceed the top of the levees in downtown DSM.

I, for one, am proud of those in charge of the work being done.

Old 06-13-2008, 01:23 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,045,748 times
Im in Oregon, but I wanted to come here and just let you know, that you are all so very much in my prayers. I read the stories and see the pictures on the news, but I just cant fathom what people there are going through. I am so very very heartsick for all the countless folks who are losing homes/belongings/etc. and the fear/grief they must be going through. Cant do much on my end, but know youre all in my thoughts and prayers. I hope relief comes soon.
And yes, thank GOD for all those incredible souls who are out there risking so much of themselves to help each other. Sometimes its terrible things like this that really bring out the bravery and generosity of many people. GOD bless you all!
Tiffany in Oregon

Old 06-13-2008, 01:43 PM

1 posts, read 4,187 times
I too am in Oregon but, have a dear friend who lives in Cresco. I admire Jeff's positive attitude. When I called to ask him how he was doing he told me the farm was flooded, but least his fence held. I do not think I would be so upbeat.

My prayers are with you.
Sarah

Old 06-13-2008, 05:09 PM

196 posts, read 776,476 times
As of 6pm in DM the crest has passed, according to officials. I think they learned their lesson from '93 and everything they put in place has worked, for the most part.

Old 06-13-2008, 06:05 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,122,931 times
Speaking for us here in Arizona; my condolences to what you folks in Iowa, etc. are dealing with.

Old 06-13-2008, 09:08 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,408,299 times
My prayers goes out to you guys across the border from me...

Old 06-13-2008, 09:45 PM

38 posts, read 164,400 times
I hear my home town of Davenport has been hit too, but apparently not as bad CR, Waterloo, CF, and that area......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa