Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 06:56 PM

124 posts, read 501,753 times

Advertisements

Why are CRPD officers entering homes during inspections? Yesterday Chief Graham made it perfectly clear that no officers would be entering homes during inspections. You can watch the vid here: KCRG-TV9 - Local News - Video - UPDATE: Police Chief Graham Briefing On Damage Response Teams

Approx. 1/3rd of the way into the vid he says "Firefighters are entering homes through unlocked doors and windows, where possible. Law enforcement officers are not entering homes."

Today Gazette reporter Jeff Raasch posted a video on YouTube clearly showing a CRPD officer entering a home during a search. Video here:
YouTube - Strike teams make entry into flood ravaged Cedar Rapids
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2008, 07:07 PM

586 posts, read 2,184,512 times
Why are they entering homes? To find your weed stash.

I'm sure they're just trying to help out when manpower is spread thin for such a disaster. We owe them real gratitude, working on their off time and all to help the public out.

Old 06-15-2008, 07:14 PM

Well, perhaps you've already forgotten about cops illegally confiscating guns immediately after hurrican Katrina. Maybe you've already forgotten about Greenburg, KS after a tornado hit and destroyed the town. Greensburg was completely sealed off by law enforcement (Sheriffs Officers, Kansas Highway Patrol Officers, ATF, FEMA, National Guard, Police Officers from surrounding areas and some volunteers from Ft. Riley) yet many firearms are missing from the town. One gun owner had a gun case returned to him with the wrong gun in it. If law enforcement officials didn't do it then who did? Remember, the area was sealed off by them and nobody else had access.

Read about it here: Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!
Normally I can't stand that website but I've read about this in more than one place.

Old 06-15-2008, 07:47 PM

310 posts, read 1,282,026 times
the conspiracy theorist in me thinks they are up to no good. It rarely comes out (if at all) but something fishy is abound.

Old 06-15-2008, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPerkins33 View Post
the conspiracy theorist in me thinks they are up to no good. It rarely comes out (if at all) but something fishy is abound.
I'm not a conspiracy theorist by far, but this disturbs me for some reason. The chief said clear as day that no CRPD officers would be entering homes. Today the video proof exists that shows at least one CRPD officer entering a home. I've left a message for the reporter asking if he has any more footage showing CRPD entering homes.

The reason this disturbs me is becasue I'm a firearms enthusiast and it was just last year that residents of Greensburg, KS had a lot of firearms turn up missing after the area was supposedly sealed off by law enforcement officials. And it wasn't that long ago that cops were illegally confiscating firearms in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina.

Old 06-16-2008, 08:33 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,121,360 times
Guns, weed, cash, jewelry... whatever they can sneek out or legally remove.

Why can't people get back to their homes does not make sense. The power is off, the gas is off and if you get hurt it's obviously at your own risk on your own property.

Seems fishy to me too. Maybe a violent mob will assemble downtown.

Old 06-16-2008, 02:00 PM

42 posts, read 176,731 times
Is this some Midwest thing to leave guns behind if you have to evacuate?

The reason I ask is that I grew up in AZ and lived in FL, and I can't fathom leaving the house with a firearm inside if I had to get the hell out of harm's way for some reason. Maybe some of the ammo, but certainly not the weapon. We'd wonder if someone would get into the house and maybe steal it....or lie in wait, which is even worse.

(Please don't be mad at me. I'm just wondering if this is some cultural thing here in the Midwest, because the OP mentioned KS too. I know that AZ/FL/TX have a different perspective on guns and property rights than a lot of the rest of the country.)

Old 06-16-2008, 04:50 PM

7,065 posts, read 3,105,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
Guns, weed, cash, jewelry... whatever they can sneek out or legally remove.

Why can't people get back to their homes does not make sense. The power is off, the gas is off and if you get hurt it's obviously at your own risk on your own property.

Seems fishy to me too. Maybe a violent mob will assemble downtown.
Some of these homes still have the electricity on and the gas is still on in some of them too. Someone just died from electrocution as they were allowed in their home. Another man was allowed to re-enter his home and his floor gave way and he landed in his basement. These types of accidents are just more of a pile up that this city does not need.

What is so wrong with with making sure things are a bit safe?

Common sense!

Old 06-16-2008, 11:17 PM

310 posts, read 1,282,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missncr View Post
Some of these homes still have the electricity on and the gas is still on in some of them too. Someone just died from electrocution as they were allowed in their home. Another man was allowed to re-enter his home and his floor gave way and he landed in his basement. These types of accidents are just more of a pile up that this city does not need.

What is so wrong with with making sure things are a bit safe?

Common sense!
thats what the firemen are for....

Old 06-17-2008, 08:59 AM

681 posts, read 3,035,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPerkins33 View Post
thats what the firemen are for....
That's fine, if you want to wait months for the firemen to get to every house--because they're spread thin as it is. If you want to get the most people back in their houses and on the road to recovery the fastest, you let in everybody that knows what to look for to make sure the houses won't fall in on folks--firemen AND police, even national guard, Red Cross and other relief.

From the sound of things, I don't think they're doing detailed crime-scene style investigations anyway--just enough to know you won't fall through to the basement or blow up in a gas leak or something. Get in, pass or fail the house, get out and go on to the next house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa