Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2008, 02:40 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,059,146 times

Advertisements

hello this question is for anyone who has lived in or traveled to indiana( where i live). How Does Iowa compare to Indiana? Is it better there or worse? i do know that Iowa's public education system is among the best in the country. so i know that is better but is there really anything else that puts Iowa over the top?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 03:37 PM

1,744 posts, read 7,259,421 times
We don't have Gary. Score one for Iowa.

Northern Indiana seems more Rust Belt and Southern Indiana seems more "Near South", but other than that I imagine things are pretty similar.

Old 06-12-2008, 04:44 PM

449 posts, read 1,393,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Rhino View Post
We don't have Gary. Score one for Iowa.

Northern Indiana seems more Rust Belt and Southern Indiana seems more "Near South", but other than that I imagine things are pretty similar.

Well put. I have travelled heavily in both states. Central Indiana is pretty much like Iowa. One big score for Indiana is Indianapolis; bigger town with major sports, events, etc.

Old 06-14-2008, 12:42 AM

43 posts, read 160,518 times
I've met some teachers recently from Iowa that have all said the old reputation of great Iowa schools is fading in many parts and they haven't been 'what they used to be' for some time now . . . I have not heard from any teachers in Indiana, so I can't help ypu there. Of course, 'not what they used to be' is still better than the school system in my current state and many other states.

We are moving to Iowa soon and school info is a big one we are researching so that's how I came across this for whatever it is or is not worth. ;-)

Old 06-15-2008, 09:23 AM

225 posts, read 1,092,466 times
i actually grew up in indiana and am currently living in ames. I would have to say that as far things to do i liked indianapolis better. but thats cause i'm a huge colts and pacers fan. But as far as people being helpful and just plain nice. iowa i think has a small edge over iowa. Most people here have no problem helping out if they can.
I will say the weather is more extreme then it was when i lived in indiana. The winter snow's can be pretty brutal here. But luckily the DOT here knows what there doing and takes care of the snow pretty quickly. All in all iowa isn't a bad place to live especially if your into fishing and hunting. It's just alot harder to find things to do then in indiana

Old 06-16-2008, 01:35 PM

226 posts, read 1,007,936 times
I have been to Indiana once during a trip to (Chicago and Michigan) and I stayed the night in the town of Portage, IN which seemed like a nice place, Lake Michigan is very beautiful... Iowa doesn't have a large lake like that, however, I got more of a religious vibe in Indiana which is something I didn't like but that's just me...

Last edited by SoCiEtY's ReBel; 06-16-2008 at 01:35 PM.. Reason: fixing spelling errors

Old 06-16-2008, 06:11 PM

140 posts, read 562,770 times
A big, obvious difference: Indianapolis and Des Moines are hardly comparable.
Indiana also does have Lake Michigan.
Southern Indiana, as previously mentioned, is considered southern by most.
Northern Indiana is in the loop with Chicago.
Speaking of Northern Indiana, Notre Dame is also a big plus for Indiana.
Indiana's population is near double Iowa's.

Iowa:

I don't know too much about Indiana schools, but I have several friends who were schooled in Iowa and have become very successful; a lot has to do with the individual, but the school systems really outshine the rest of the nation's.

Indiana does not have a region that is like Northeastern Iowa. I have visited northeastern portions of the state quite a few times, I have an aunt that lives in Decorah, and two months ago had a family reunion in Dubuque. The hilly nature of eastern Iowa is one-of-a-kind.

Eastern Iowa has the "Mississippi River" culture, and Southern Indiana has the "Ohio River" culture.

Indiana, as a whole, using common sense, is much more urban than Iowa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa