U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 01:45 PM

226 posts, read 936,110 times

Advertisements

Its astonishing how many people can be just plain rude in here... I think you will be fine in any city... It is not the entire states that are overun with churchgoing folk who try to force their religious agenda on the whole community... It's just the small towns in the rural parts of the states...

I'm sure you'd be fine in Oklahoma City or Tulsa... And in Iowa stick to Des Moines or the college towns... they tend to be more diverse as people come from all over to attend school... And they bring their own cultures and believes...

Anytime you are in a small town out in the middle of nowhere with a 97% caucasion population, you will run into the religious fanatics (you know who I'm referring to)

Hope i didn't offend anyone... I respect that each and every person should be able to live his/her life how he/she wishes to, I tried to stay as neutral as possible...

So basically you want Metropolitan not Rural and you will be fine!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2008, 10:23 PM

24 posts, read 80,725 times
First of all, I don't hate OK...I was relaying my husband's fears about how he felt that IA was just like OK...He was raised there, apparently had a bad experience and doesn't want to live somewhere similar...I don't think IA is like Ok. OK is more southern. Norman is a cool town, but I have witnessed a consistent "mindset" among OKers that I just would rather skip my children. Honestly, I don't know if it is OKers or just the "bible belt" ideals. Church has really given so many people license to be arrogant....I was raised in it. I became it. Now I despise it. Maybe it is just here in Tucson? Doubt it. Maybe it is the "baby boomer" syndrome? My grandparents (WWII generation) are very religious, and they don't act so arrogant...Maybe it is just my parents!! And the Televangalists.

Oh, brother...so off the subject.

Old 06-22-2008, 10:55 PM

"Why do I want to live in Iowa"?

I was raised in Southern Oregon. My family relocated back to "home" for financial reasons. I have lived here for 16 years now, and it took me 11 yrs. to begin to appreciate the unique beauty of the Sonoran Desert. I still do not feel at home here. I long for those rainy days with chili on the stove, cornbread in the oven, the essence of orange peel and cinnamon on the stove...coming in from the bus after school to such a warm and loving environment. Or playing outside in the leaf piles with the smell of a distant chimney, and cold on your nose.

To attempt giving my five children a more enriched life. Where do I begin?
-Four seasons!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! major for me. I have been depressed with out them. Fall is my favorite. My kids have no concept of it or winter. Every year I try to be "festive" so we go to get pumpkins ,and it is so hot, that corn acutally pops while still out in the field. I tell my kids that it is not really supposed to be that way. Actually, many times, the pumkins will start to rot with in 3 days. Not very fun.

So many traditions of my youth are seasonally based, and I desparately want my crown jewels to experience the riches of the outdoors. Here in Tucson, it is not common to have grass, we have rock yards...it is very difficult to send your kids out to rocks to wrestle...

I want:

Trees,
parks,
blackberries,
lilacs,
Hydrangeas,
falling leaves,
snow,
rain,
to be around culture of people that place their kids as top priority,
a place where my kids can ride their bikes safely,
a place where those around you are easy going,
a place where the houses look like a home,
a place that celebrates the fourth of July, for real,
where schools are thriving,
a place that I feel safe in,
a neighborhood that doesn't have the "eye in the sky" flying over all the time,
----(police chopper, I even live on the "good" side of town)
a yard that grows beautiful flowers and plants,
a frontyard and a backyard,
grass,
fishing,
water,
basically I want to feel like I am giving the best for me, my husband, and my babies.

Boy do I sound dramatic...

Old 06-22-2008, 10:57 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,327,507 times
I would not think that Iowa is like Oklahoma for several reasons. Politically, Iowa is more moderate than Oklahoma and it is often a swing state in presidential elections and has a mix of Demcrats and Republicans. Oklahoma, to me, is more conservative politically.

Both Iowa and Oklahoma have nice people. I have relatives and know of other people in Oklahoma and they were nice people and I generally did not have a problem in Oklahoma. Iowans are good people and they are by and large good-natured people.

From a landscape standpoint, Oklahoma has a number of areas that red soil (mainly in the central and western areas) and Iowa has rich black soil. Oklahoma is thicker in forestry in the eastern part of the state when compared to Iowa.

Having been to both states and Iowa many times with family just across the border from S. Dakota, I would consider Oklahoma being a poorer state than Iowa in general. To me, I noticed a greater disparity between the haves and have nots in Oklahoma than in Iowa along with more poverty in Oklahoma (more economically depressed areas). Iowa seems more progressive and there is a broader middle class there.

The two states have their differences, but I would much rather live in either Iowa or Oklahoma before moving to Arizona, California, Florida and the places on the coasts.

Old 06-22-2008, 11:32 PM

Another reason for me to move to Iowa...

Women here are just stressed out for whatever reason...I want my kids and myself to be around women who are happy and enjoy being mom. From the gym, to the preschool and elemtary teachers, to the chlidrens' pastors at church and chior leaders, to average shoppers at the grocery stores, Target, Costco, the malls, the movie theatres, drivers and my "mom" friends. They are all stressed out and it projects out to me and my babies.

Old 06-23-2008, 12:00 AM

60 posts, read 223,986 times
As far as the religion thing goes, I just got back from visiting Mississippi and Arkansas where I actually heard church music being played in the McDonalds (not kidding) and there were Jesus billboards every 2 miles on the highways. I don't know about OK, but where I was just at, Christianity is oozing out of every crevice.

I have lived in Cedar Rapids, Cedar Falls, and in a very small isolated town Western Iowa. In all three places there is no overwhelming religious pressure like I have seen down South. In all three places that I have lived in Iowa there were a lot of Christians, sometimes outspoken, but like politics, Iowa is very evenly balanced with its religion.

For example, where I live Church folk come by and leave stuff in my mailbox about once a month. But I don't know anything about any of my neighbors religious views and I couldn't even guess--its not a common topic or conversational reference for most people in my neck of the woods.

Good luck!

Old 06-23-2008, 09:54 AM

2 posts, read 4,387 times
JGOODY123 You are not dramatic, your exactly right. I haved framed your statement because it says it all. We had a couple choose Des Moines Iowa over NYC because of exactly your reasons and they are soooo Happy

Old 06-23-2008, 11:57 AM

572 posts, read 2,292,301 times
I say you move to my Home (http://www.newtohavasu.net/ - broken link) town
Nowhere is going to be perfect its all what you make of it.
There are some that hate it where I live and others just love it.
I do like Iowa and I also like Oklahoma

Old 06-23-2008, 12:58 PM

1 posts, read 2,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoody123 View Post
I want to move to Cedar Rapids for all the reasons a family would...My husband is from Oklahoma, and says that Iowa is "just like OK"...

Is this correct? I guess to be like OK would be racist, hickish, people like you one minute and when you do something outside of their boundaries, they turn on you like the "church"

I really want to believe that Iowan's are generally a more advanced state then those bordering it...

I have never been to Iowa.

Please fill me in!

I don't want to move my 5 kids to a closed minded, judgemental society which causes them to ultimately become haters themselves!

How influential is the "church" there? What are the major denominations?

I appreciate the church, I was raised in it, we go to church....But, church poeple have burned us...and I am tired of it.
I am from Iowa. I hate the Northern part of the state, very unprogressive, mostly farms and no cities to speak of so it is really boring! However, the Eastern and Southern part of Iowa are wonderful. I was raised in the Cedar Rapids area, not only is there many things to do in and around that city, but the educational system is excellent. I believe CR was rated as one of the top 10 small cities to live in throughout the U.S. a few years back. Des Moines is listed in the top 10 this year. I lived in Denver for 18 years and loved it there, but had to move back here to take care of elderly parents in need. I still have many lifetime friends in the CR area and they are wonderful, non judgmental, educated and racism is the farthest thing from any of their minds. I student taught in Marion, IA, a suburb of CR, and the school system was incredible compared to those of other states I have lived in. I spent two years in OK when I was first married as my husband had just graduated from Dental School in MN and was paying back two years in the Army in the Dental and Medical core. I can tell you, the majority of Iowan's are not judgmental and racist. When I lived in OK those two years, I, too, found some of the people to be very racist and judgmental and I couldn't wait to get back to a more civilized area. However, I think you can find all kinds of people in any area of the country. I just wanted a better educational system for my children, and Iowa and the midwest as a whole is rated as one of the best in the U.S.:

Old 06-23-2008, 01:02 PM

10,238 posts, read 19,398,419 times
Iowa was settled by many people with roots in New England and upstate New York, often by way of Illinois. This gives Iowa a different culture and outlook than a state primarily settled by people from the southern states as Oklahoma was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or