U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 01:02 PM

24 posts, read 80,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowaborn View Post
JGOODY123 You are not dramatic, your exactly right. I haved framed your statement because it says it all. We had a couple choose Des Moines Iowa over NYC because of exactly your reasons and they are soooo Happy
What do you mean by "framed" it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 06:16 PM

60 posts, read 224,068 times
Hmm I've never heard anyone say that Southern Iowa is wonderful and progressive. lol

Old 06-23-2008, 09:37 PM

681 posts, read 2,825,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy G. Biv View Post
Hmm I've never heard anyone say that Southern Iowa is wonderful and progressive. lol
Depends on how southern we're talking.

Old 06-23-2008, 09:56 PM

2,560 posts, read 5,329,064 times
We moved to Oklahoma 36 years ago and have never encountered the kind of people your husband refers to. Guess he was just in the wrong half of the state. The west half is the liberal half and the east half in the conservative half. He should have been raised in Tulsa! It is a shame some church members have to ruin a good thing for those who attend church to pray and praise the Lord. I don't think I'd like a church like that either. I'm another "baby boomer" too. Good luck with what ever you decide.

Old 06-24-2008, 11:42 PM

24 posts, read 80,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiegirlfriend View Post
We moved to Oklahoma 36 years ago and have never encountered the kind of people your husband refers to. Guess he was just in the wrong half of the state. The west half is the liberal half and the east half in the conservative half. He should have been raised in Tulsa! It is a shame some church members have to ruin a good thing for those who attend church to pray and praise the Lord. I don't think I'd like a church like that either. I'm another "baby boomer" too. Good luck with what ever you decide.
Thank you! Please do not be affended by my off the cuff "boomerism" generalizations...I appreciate your feedback!

Old 06-27-2008, 03:55 PM

288 posts, read 850,113 times
I was born and reared in Oklahoma....lived here till I moved to Korea, and when I came back, it was to Oklahoma. I love Oklahoma, despite it not being a good fit for me (not veg-friendly, too conservative, too religious). I am actually moving to Iowa next month, and I'm looking forward to it. I know that there are good points and bad points, but I've found that to be true no matter where I lived. (moved a lot within Korea and was in Texas for a while as well) Oklahoma will likely always have my heart, but it's not where I want to live for the rest of my life. I want to be around people more similar to me. For now, that is Iowa City as that is where my boyfriend lives. Within 2-3 years, we'll probably move somewhere that fits us even better...like Portland or Eugene if I can break my boyfriend of his horror of small towns. (He thinks Iowa City is TINY and I think it's big...he's from NYC and I grew up north of Ponca City...not even in a town.)

In defense of Oklahoma, one reason I came back was because I knew I'd feel at home here at least because of the friendliness of people. Yes, there are some religious fanatics who are intolerant, but they are easily spotted and avoided for the most part. At least groups of them don't chase me down the street yelling, "Jesus-uh love you come to my church-ee or die in hell" (yep, really happened to me, but not in Oklahoma)

Will miss the trees in Tulsa, however mutiliated they may appear these days (danged ice storms), but at least Iowa has those same forever horizons, melted crayon sunsets, and fresh clean air that Oklahoma has.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or