U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 09:02 AM

24 posts, read 81,036 times

Advertisements

I want to move to Cedar Rapids for all the reasons a family would...My husband is from Oklahoma, and says that Iowa is "just like OK"...

Is this correct? I guess to be like OK would be racist, hickish, people like you one minute and when you do something outside of their boundaries, they turn on you like the "church"

I really want to believe that Iowan's are generally a more advanced state then those bordering it...

I have never been to Iowa.

Please fill me in!

I don't want to move my 5 kids to a closed minded, judgemental society which causes them to ultimately become haters themselves!

How influential is the "church" there? What are the major denominations?

I appreciate the church, I was raised in it, we go to church....But, church poeple have burned us...and I am tired of it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 09:20 AM

100 posts, read 501,666 times
Wow. What sweeping generalizations!!

Iowa is Iowa, not Oklahoma, or any other state, for that matter. The people, the culture, the history, are all its own, and you won't truly have a sense of what its like to be here until you ARE here.

The state is by no means a "closed minded, judgemental society" any more than anyplace else in the country. By and large, Iowans are warm, friendly and accepting of genuine, hardworking, law-abiding neighbors, whether they are new or old.

About 25% of Iowans are Catholic (largely in the east), and most of the rest are Protestants, with the majority of those being members of mainline denominations (Lutheran, Methodist, Presbyterian, etc...). Religious life is important to the people here, and churches are actively involved in their communities and vice versa.

On a side note, and in defense of Oklahoma, I'd like to say that you seem to have a lot of very judgmental feelings YOURSELF toward the very state you are calling close-minded and judgmental. How ironic!!

Old 06-20-2008, 09:24 AM

586 posts, read 2,009,288 times
To not beat around the bush, Iowa is not a strong hold for Southern Baptists. Lutheran, Methodist and Catholic are the primary churches here. It does sound like sweeping generalizations of people in Oklahoma, but I don't think you'll find Iowa to be as much of a bible belt type environment like you see in Oklahoma and Southern Missouri.

Old 06-20-2008, 09:29 AM

2,796 posts, read 5,659,098 times
I think you'll find much more open minded people here in Iowa, at least in the cities, than just about anyplace in Oklahoma. You can find some close minded people out in the central/western parts but nothing like what you're describing.

Cedar Rapids is an open minded town with a lot of families. And if it's not diverse enough here you can try Iowa City - the Berkley, CA of Iowa but still very family friendly.

There are a lot of different churches and cultures here in CR - Catholics, Protestants, Muslims, Non-Dem, agnostics. Nobody seems to care at all what religion you are here. It's just not a topic of discussion. If you are tired of the southern judgemental ego-centric rednecks I would try Iowa. The only bad part is the winters and the floods we get every 500 years!

Old 06-20-2008, 12:11 PM

"On a side note, and in defense of Oklahoma, I'd like to say that you seem to have a lot of very judgmental feelings YOURSELF toward the very state you are calling close-minded and judgmental. How ironic!![/quote]"

Not my feelings...These were generalizations portrayed by my husband who grew up in Norman, OK.

He wants to steer clear of such mentallities. I truly don't mean to sound so harsh. We live in Tucson now...people here are high strung and quick to be overly assertive, fearing that they are always getting the short end of the stick...road rage is big here. So now it is time to decompress.

Old 06-20-2008, 01:04 PM

1,744 posts, read 6,782,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoody123 View Post
I really want to believe that Iowan's are generally a more advanced state then those bordering it...
You realize Iowa doesn't border Oklahoma, right? I wouldn't want anyone to get lost out looking for Iowa now.

Old 06-21-2008, 01:58 AM

Yes, El Rhino...prosecutor, defender, judge, jury, executioner, funny guy...Oklahoma mindset...

Old 06-21-2008, 01:07 PM

5,377 posts, read 11,176,995 times
You say it like it's a bad thing. Too bad you have limited experience regarding OK, because if you knew what you were talking about and were "open minded and accepting" then you would have come to different conclusions than you did and had different expereinces instead of making sweeping generalizations. Funny, you sound much like the people about which you complain. Maybe New York would suit you better.

Old 06-21-2008, 02:28 PM

28,703 posts, read 42,072,058 times
I don't think you'll like it here.

Hated OK

Hated AZ

What makes you think you will like IA?

Old 06-21-2008, 05:30 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,013,710 times
Just checking out some forums...but...Iowa is not Oklahoma... It's a great state...Im sure OK is great too! Iowa has nice people... They have the hard work ethic and Midwestern kindness... I'll admit that I've never been to Oklahoma... I don't think the "church" is overly influential to society in the upper Midwest/Great Plains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or