U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 09:05 PM

74 posts, read 226,397 times

Advertisements

I live in a 1960s era development up on a hill here in Cedar Rapids. Just down the street from me though in a lower lying area that is about 2 miles away from the river (but still within the 500 year flood plain) is an older part of town. Pretty much all of the older and lower incomes areas of the city are in the strip along the river. About 4000 homes were flooded and about 75% of those flooded homes will have to be demolished.

The stench down in this area is horrible like a wet dog who was playing around in the outhouse pit.

Everyone who flooded is taking all their ruined stuff out onto the curb. The county is going to quickly start a new landfill just for the all of the trash and demolished buildings. They say that the amount of stuff that will be thrown out will equal about 40 years worth of garbage pick-up.

http://img116.imageshack.us/img116/502/flood2008014lq2.jpg (broken link)

http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/2720/flood2008022ht9.jpg (broken link)

http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/2452/flood2008018yd0.jpg (broken link)

There were garages and sheds that floated into other neighborhoods.

Here is a rail bridge that collapsed

At the bottom of my street there is a Baptist church that is a Red Cross disaster relief center. There is also a disaster group from a church in Texas.

http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/2083/flood2008046eo9.jpg (broken link)

These pictures were just what I took from around my house on the way to get groceries. Maybe I'll post more later as I drive around more.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2008, 09:27 PM

9 posts, read 40,932 times
Default Iowa place to see

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Pictures\Picture\Picture 012.jpg

Country School Retreat - Home

Old 06-22-2008, 10:04 PM

74 posts, read 226,397 times
Try uploading it to imageshack or photobucket first and then copy a link to it.

Old 06-23-2008, 02:45 AM

114 posts, read 454,770 times
Roy G. Biv
I can understand the stench part. I live in Iowa City and any time you get near and of the flooded areas, WOW!! I and thinking of all you up there is CR and we in Iowa City (at least those that weren't affected by the flooding), our hearts are with you all

Old 06-24-2008, 08:22 AM

1 posts, read 4,881 times
Roy G. Biv, I'm from Jesup but I'm at school at UNI in Cedar Falls... What area of CR are you from? I have a whole slug of friends from Marion, Central City, and Benton Community School district. They would have graduated around '06.

Old 06-24-2008, 11:38 AM

534 posts, read 1,473,007 times
The stench is horrible. We were coming back from shopping and hit Edgewood and Ellis and it was vomit inducing. It's really hard to see all the disturction. One wonders how it will ever come to life again. I feel horrible for those people that got flooded. I heard the homes along Ellis will have to be demolished. The smell is bad near Quaker too.

We were only 6 blocks in one direction from flooded streets, but our neighborhood is on higher ground. Had the waters reached our home, the city would have been at even worse distruction, if one could even imagine that.

Old 06-24-2008, 12:05 PM

310 posts, read 1,193,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UW Badgers View Post
The stench is horrible. We were coming back from shopping and hit Edgewood and Ellis and it was vomit inducing. It's really hard to see all the disturction. One wonders how it will ever come to life again. I feel horrible for those people that got flooded. I heard the homes along Ellis will have to be demolished. The smell is bad near Quaker too.

We were only 6 blocks in one direction from flooded streets, but our neighborhood is on higher ground. Had the waters reached our home, the city would have been at even worse distruction, if one could even imagine that.

when ISN'T the smell bad near Quarker Oats?

Old 06-24-2008, 12:47 PM

534 posts, read 1,473,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPerkins33 View Post
when ISN'T the smell bad near Quarker Oats?
Yeah, no kidding. The actual Quaker smell is better then the garbage smell, if you can believe that..LOL!

Old 06-24-2008, 01:07 PM

310 posts, read 1,193,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UW Badgers View Post
Yeah, no kidding. The actual Quaker smell is better then the garbage smell, if you can believe that..LOL!

I'll buy it, the smell here in IC can be pretty bad at times too(from the flood and when the wind carries that Quaker smell down here). And I just realized I typed Quarker for Quaker.

Old 06-24-2008, 03:24 PM

20,005 posts, read 71,372,173 times
How sad. Hope you all recover soon though!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa