U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2008, 08:51 AM

24 posts, read 81,030 times

Advertisements

The good people of Iowa don't seem to be bothered by the threat of tornadoes. Here in Tucson, we don't get any extreme weather other than the heat and monsoons.

Are they a considerable threat? Do you feel safe? Why don't more folks have storm shelters? Do they just rely on their basements?

We are going to travel to Iowa from Tucson a in couple of weeks....it kinda makes me a little nervous about the possibility of getting trapped on the freeway with no real protection if a tornado did occur...maybe I am just uninformed.

Please give me your thoughts and advice! Thank you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 02:57 PM

310 posts, read 1,192,950 times
tornadoes don't bother me one bit, hell I don't even pay attention to the sirens or warnings anymore even after Iowa City got hit 2 years ago. If I were you I'd be more concerned about getting in a car accident than being hit by a twister.

Old 06-23-2008, 05:18 PM

Thanks, you are probably right!

Old 06-23-2008, 11:31 PM

7 posts, read 30,449 times
Yea, I wouldn't worry. Twisters are a freak of nature for sure, and scary.... but the odds of you actually getting hit by one is slim to the extreme.

You can also generally survive one if you have any half assed shelter to jump into, even a deep ditch by the road, inside a concrete restroom at a rest stop, etc. The ones you have to worry about are the F4-F5, which are so rare, prolly never see one in your life (in person). They will kill you even in a shelter (normal basement), unless its specifically a storm shelter.

Think of it this way... I have lived in Iowa all my life (38 yrs), and the closest a tornado has come to my residence is about 5-6 miles. Imagine your odds just visiting.

Now... if you do get hit by one, don't haunt me or anything.

Old 06-23-2008, 11:36 PM

114 posts, read 454,750 times
It gets to a point in Iowa that Tornadoes are such a part of the state that we know when it is going to get bad and know when not to mess around. Like in Cali. They may be used to Earthquakes, but I'm scared of them. Same as in any state what you live with all the time it becomes the norm. I mean we are taught tornado safety from infancy. It is drilled into our heads all through school and every time there is a bad storm or tornado, the TV and radio stations review what to do.

Don't worry you be fine. Just listen to the radio if the weather gets nasty and do what they tell you. Or IF, and a big if you find yourself near a twister go to the nearest farm house or business. 99.9% of the time they will let you take cover with them Hey we're Iowans we're friendly

Old 06-24-2008, 12:48 PM

28,703 posts, read 42,069,673 times
On the off chance you are on a highway and a tornado shows up do not stay in your vehicle and do not under any circumstances hide under one of the interstate bridges. They act as a venturi and actually cause wind speeds to increase. Best bet is out of the car in a low spot like a ditch. Lay face down and cover the back of your head with your hands.

Now that I've scared you a bit I'll tell you that I've lived here 60 years and sat through 2 tornadoes. I seem to to be in one piece.

Old 06-24-2008, 11:39 PM

Ooooooookaaaaaayyyyy.....Thank you for all the advice! Sounds like everyone knows what they are talking about.

Old 06-26-2008, 12:10 AM

43 posts, read 148,656 times
Tek_Freek

I like your tag line "Take away flood plains and Ma Nature makes her own"

JGoody - We don't fear tornados any more than the monsoons and haboobs we've gotten stuck in in Arizona. No worries. Our 2nd cousin who had lived in Altoona for over 78 years says she has never seen a tornado in Iowa LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa