Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 02:50 PM

862 posts, read 1,642,583 times

Advertisements

My dad worked at the Ottumwa plant but I can't answer any questions about the white collar side of the business. Sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 03:56 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,121,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zach123 View Post
Thank you zz4guy! I am vying for a professional (white collar) position in Moline. I just wanted to learn a bit what it is like working for John Deere and also if working, where is the best area to live. By the way, friend, can you shade some light on what you mean when you said 'once you leave permanent employment you cannot be hired back to work direct. Also their health insurance is slightly lacking compared to other companies'?

Thanks again
I worked there as a contractor for a while and the word from my peers was that if you are hired directly and voluntarily quit, you cannot be hired on again direct. I worked with some retirees and other people that came back and had to work thru Volt because of this policy. IMO it is a dumb policy. It was what chased me away as a young engineer - I wanted to get some more experience before I commited to them.

I never had their health insurance since I was a contractor. But as I was leaving in late 04 they were making some pretty drastic changes and people were complaining. Knowing the benefits at Deere though things probably went from outstanding to excellent. I wouldn't worry about that if you were vying for a job there.

By the way, a good way to get your foot in the door is to work a contract position for them. They hired through Volt at Dubuque. You can work thru Volt for up to 3 years. I knew a guy who was there 5, but they booted him on year 5. And the contract positions are just like the direct. They give you responsibilities and you are expected to meet goals. It is not a boring sit-in-the-cube and push paper position. They are basically trying you out before they hire you direct.

Most people work 7-4 or so. Some come in earlier because the production lines start at 6 and are gone by 2:30.

Any other questions, let me know!

Old 09-03-2008, 02:54 PM

2 posts, read 4,441 times
Default Moving to Waterloo..

My husband might get an offer from John Deere and we might have to move to Waterloo, IA. We are currently at Salt lake City, Utah. How good is the quality of living in Waterloo? Once we move to Waterloo, I would be at home working remotely while my husband would be at work..I am just so worried that I would get so bored ..I have not spoken to anyone but the impression I got about that city is that it has low population, downtown is not so big, few restraurants, lot of agricultural lands!! Can someone clarify please?

Old 09-03-2008, 03:07 PM

586 posts, read 2,184,512 times
It's not Salt Lake City and far from being a major city with all the amenities, but what do you expect from a place that has a million people less than the SLC area? Trust your gut instinct on this. It wouldn't hurt to visit the college city next to Waterloo, Cedar Falls and see if this would be a better fit for you.

Old 09-03-2008, 03:46 PM

2 posts, read 4,441 times
Yes..I am not expecting anything big..Since I have not visited that place in person, I am just curious to know more about Waterloo..Thankfully I will be working from home..So rest of the time, I am banking on talking a walk in the trails (I hear there are many trails) or if I can drive for an hour or so, there are many cities..I am sure I will miss Salt Lake City badly..But anymore details will surely help me! I have never lived in such a small place ever in my life and hence I am a bit tensed

Old 10-29-2009, 03:46 AM

543 posts, read 1,146,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
I worked there as a contractor for a while and the word from my peers was that if you are hired directly and voluntarily quit, you cannot be hired on again direct. I worked with some retirees and other people that came back and had to work thru Volt because of this policy. IMO it is a dumb policy. It was what chased me away as a young engineer - I wanted to get some more experience before I commited to them.

I never had their health insurance since I was a contractor. But as I was leaving in late 04 they were making some pretty drastic changes and people were complaining. Knowing the benefits at Deere though things probably went from outstanding to excellent. I wouldn't worry about that if you were vying for a job there.

By the way, a good way to get your foot in the door is to work a contract position for them. They hired through Volt at Dubuque. You can work thru Volt for up to 3 years. I knew a guy who was there 5, but they booted him on year 5. And the contract positions are just like the direct. They give you responsibilities and you are expected to meet goals. It is not a boring sit-in-the-cube and push paper position. They are basically trying you out before they hire you direct.

Most people work 7-4 or so. Some come in earlier because the production lines start at 6 and are gone by 2:30.

Any other questions, let me know!
My husband (and a few other guys) were hired by Volt and have been working at John Deere now for almost 15 months. A few days after he was hired by Volt, several guys were hired directly by John Deere. The problem? As a Volt employee, he and the others are making close to $4.00 per hour less than the Direct hires. He has no benefits, no paid vacation, yet he is doing the same work as the others who were hired at the same time. Today, he was told that all the other direct hires were receiving a bonus of several thousand dollars. Of course, he is receiving nothing. I figure he's lost about $11,000 this year because of the pay differential.

Any suggestions? He's frustrated and although we're grateful he HAS a job, this major discrepency in pay and treatment has worn him down.

John Deere has such a great reputation as being a great company to work for... but in this case, the lack of equity, although most likely legal, doesn't seem ethical and in keeping with their way of doing business.

Old 10-29-2009, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydoc View Post
My husband (and a few other guys) were hired by Volt and have been working at John Deere now for almost 15 months. A few days after he was hired by Volt, several guys were hired directly by John Deere. The problem? As a Volt employee, he and the others are making close to $4.00 per hour less than the Direct hires. He has no benefits, no paid vacation, yet he is doing the same work as the others who were hired at the same time. Today, he was told that all the other direct hires were receiving a bonus of several thousand dollars. Of course, he is receiving nothing. I figure he's lost about $11,000 this year because of the pay differential.

Any suggestions? He's frustrated and although we're grateful he HAS a job, this major discrepency in pay and treatment has worn him down.

John Deere has such a great reputation as being a great company to work for... but in this case, the lack of equity, although most likely legal, doesn't seem ethical and in keeping with their way of doing business.
When is his contract up? He needs to negotiate a new wage when it runs out every year. All he needs to do is put a value on the benefits he's missing and put that out there as an offer. If the company wants him, they'll pay it.

I asked the management when I was there about how long they keep on contractors. He said generally after 3 years the employee will be either let go or will have found a permanent spot withing the company.

If I was your husband I'd make my top priority applying for and/or creating a permanent postion to move into; not necessarily raising the contract rate.

Old 10-29-2009, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
When is his contract up? He needs to negotiate a new wage when it runs out every year. All he needs to do is put a value on the benefits he's missing and put that out there as an offer. If the company wants him, they'll pay it.

I asked the management when I was there about how long they keep on contractors. He said generally after 3 years the employee will be either let go or will have found a permanent spot withing the company.

If I was your husband I'd make my top priority applying for and/or creating a permanent postion to move into; not necessarily raising the contract rate.
Thanks for your reply... but are you meaning he needs to negotiate with VOLT or John Deere? He wants a permanent position with JD... and has never been the type to just ask for things. - especially when he is concerned about keeping the job.

On the other hand, I'm not exactly the shy retiring type and I'm not really great at company protocol... you know, the line of command. I know this is HIS job, but it does affect us financially, very much.

I've been rather well behaved about not saying anything.. at my husband's request; especially about the clear faupaw (sp?) John Deere has made in hiring two groups of people at the same time and financially penalizing one over the other when each one followed the existing JD requirements for how to be hired.

Sorry if I sound disgruntled..

Old 10-29-2009, 03:16 PM

He needs to contact his rep at Volt and have a number in mind BEFORE he does that. If it is logical and reasonable I see no reason the Volt rep wouldn't offer it to Deere. The volt rep will negotiate directly with the hiring manager at Deere (probably his direct supervisor now).

I worked through Volt at the Dubuque plant for 14 months (one term). I decided to pursue full time employment for a 10% raise at another company in Cedar Rapids. I was a little put off with the low contract pay they offered. Usually contractors are offered more because they have less benefits.

Your husband needs to scan the internal job boards everyday and apply apply apply! He should be spending time on resumes and networking with the folks hiring in the groups he's interested in. The internal web site lists the hiring manager so he should be introducing himself to them and letting them know he's interested and has the experience.

Eventually he should be able to land a job there. Good luck!

Old 10-29-2009, 05:49 PM

Thanks so very much. I appreciate your help. After the news yesterday of the several thousand dollar bonus, they had another meeting today and talked about a 3% pay raise plus more benefits. Gosh... I sincerely hope they will actually hire him or at least raise his pay substantially.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa