Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2008, 11:19 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,407,849 times

Advertisements

How is Iowa doing in the bad economy? Anything to note?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 12:38 AM

337 posts, read 1,528,216 times
to be honest, all i've noticed is construction *slowed* around here. maybe i'm missing something

Old 10-17-2008, 06:54 AM

518 posts, read 2,531,166 times
I would not think Iowa would be doing too bad because Iowa never saw the big boom in housing prices like much of the country, so they are not seeing the bust either. I live in PA, and it's similar here. Personally, I have not been affected at all and neither have many people from around here since we never saw a big boom in the past few years. No boom, no bust

Old 10-17-2008, 08:55 AM

534 posts, read 1,594,429 times
Actually, since the big flood in June, housing seems to be pretty good. I've seen several homes in my area in Cedar Rapids go up for sale and within 2 weeks they are sold. A lot of people lost their home and need to start over and I guess there are people relocating that need homes too. Houses in our area(out of the flood zone)are flying off the market. We've acually debated about selling our home knowing it wouldn't be on the market long and going into an apartment since we won't be living here much longer.

Old 10-17-2008, 10:52 AM

2,652 posts, read 8,579,421 times
Everybody I know back home (Des Moines) is doing fine. From what I hear they aren't any worse than they ever were. I did go onto a couple of the real estate websites for the area and noticed homes in the suburbs are MUCH cheaper than a few years ago. I saw decent houses in Urbandale, Altoona, etc for less than $150K.

Old 10-17-2008, 05:25 PM

10 posts, read 40,313 times
Iowa is going to be OK by worldwide standards. Remember the astronomical crop prices this past summer? It's like the state struck oil.

Old 10-17-2008, 06:15 PM

72 posts, read 255,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamplayer View Post
Iowa is going to be OK by worldwide standards. Remember the astronomical crop prices this past summer? It's like the state struck oil.
Watch out, though. Ethanol subsidies are in jeopardy of being cancelled. The high prices of corn can't be sustained with other plantings. I would imagine this would change the economical landscape, although perhaps not very dramatically for Iowa.

Old 10-18-2008, 07:17 AM

459 posts, read 2,227,418 times
Hopefully this statement won't cause this whole thread to become to politically charged...

But McCain has explicitly said he would end ethanol subsidies. That move would really hurt Iowa's economy...

Old 10-18-2008, 10:05 AM

72 posts, read 255,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe1 View Post
Hopefully this statement won't cause this whole thread to become to politically charged...

But McCain has explicitly said he would end ethanol subsidies. That move would really hurt Iowa's economy...
And I'm certainly not trying to insert politics in any of this. As a catering company owner, my food costs on items dealing directly with corn (corn, chicken and beef because of feed, etc..) have grown at an astronomical rate. While I would ideally like to live in Iowa, business wise I don't want to be paying prices as high as they are due to subsidies that, personally, I don't see a return on the investment made. Just my 2 cents (but with the dollar the way it has been, maybe it's only 1 cent?!?!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa