U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 01:02 PM

1 posts, read 4,737 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I was looking at homes in Atlantic IA, and I noticed the city had no martial arts schools. Do people in Iowa generally have any interest in Martial arts? If so, I would really like to open up the first school if I move out to Atlantic.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2007, 11:15 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,375,665 times
Iowa City Karate is probably the best in the state.

Old 02-22-2007, 11:11 PM

1 posts, read 4,712 times
Default Please do!

Hi i'm a senior at atlantic high school, I used to take tai kwon do classes but i lost time for them. My final school year is coming to an end, and i'm finding more and more free time. I'm beginning training for a martial arts related discipline known as Parkour, which is very interesting. I think it would be great if you opened up a Martial arts school here... if u do u i'll b there

Old 11-07-2008, 06:47 PM

1 posts, read 4,163 times
i think its a great idea to open a martial arts school. i also think we need a little variety. get tired of just seeing karate, judo, and tae kwon do. im interested in hung gar but i dont think there is a single place in iowa that you can learn it.

Old 11-09-2008, 05:53 AM

520 posts, read 2,353,926 times
a lot of people in iowa that wrestled in college and/or high school get into mma fighting. some train in davenport in a place that is run by Matt Hughes.

Old 11-12-2008, 06:26 AM

509 posts, read 1,050,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetar10 View Post
a lot of people in iowa that wrestled in college and/or high school get into mma fighting. some train in davenport in a place that is run by Matt Hughes.
The MMA gym in Bettendorf is run by Pat Miletich. Matt Hughes used to train there, but now co-owns a separate gym in Illinois somewhere.

Old 11-12-2008, 09:22 AM

520 posts, read 2,353,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugepossum View Post
The MMA gym in Bettendorf is run by Pat Miletich. Matt Hughes used to train there, but now co-owns a separate gym in Illinois somewhere.
oh, thanks for clarifying. I had some misinformation.

Old 09-23-2009, 09:43 PM

1 posts, read 3,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingofstone View Post
Hi,

I was looking at homes in Atlantic IA, and I noticed the city had no martial arts schools. Do people in Iowa generally have any interest in Martial arts? If so, I would really like to open up the first school if I move out to Atlantic.
PLEASE OPEN A GYM N ATLANTIC. I live 10 minutes from there, and my parents wont let me go to any gyms because the closest ones are in council bluffs and omaha, which is 45 min to an hour away

Old 09-25-2009, 07:34 AM

4,778 posts, read 6,505,628 times
The Quad Cities has a few choices. John Morrow has had a school for a long time. From what I understand he's pretty well known.
Same with Chung Kim and of course Pat Miletich in Bettendorf has produced a few MMA champs.

I'm not sure where Atlantic is, which means it's probably far enough away that you wouldn't have to worry about the QCA being too close and pulling your students. Good Luck!

Old 09-29-2009, 08:15 AM

267 posts, read 1,136,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
I'm not sure where Atlantic is, which means it's probably far enough away that you wouldn't have to worry about the QCA being too close and pulling your students. Good Luck!
Atlantic is between DM and Omaha. I'd actually think that would be a good location since it's roughly equidistant from both, so you'll have a large area of people for which you would be the closest option for martial arts classes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or