Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 01:07 PM

7 posts, read 23,304 times

Advertisements

I have a while to go before I retire, but don't want to wait until the last minute!

I have lived most of my life in AZ and am from a town of less than 1000 people. I currently live where there are 9 people, 3 dogs and 2 cats.

I went to college in Flagstaff and have spent winters in Colorado and Wyoming, so I am not un-used to colder weather.

I would like a smaller town where I can get to a city if I need to (airport, shopping, etc). I also want someplace with the farmer's market/fourth of July parade/Christmas parade kind of life style. It may sound hokey, but that's okay with me.

I am looking for suggestions as to places to move - Panora and Spencer have both been suggested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 01:24 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,579,421 times
Clear Lake, Spirit Lake, Lake Okaboji. Those are all nice places. Other than lake living why Iowa?

Old 10-24-2008, 02:03 PM

I have serious concerns about upcoming water availability issues in the Southwest. Hurricanes and snow up to my sinuses are not my idea of an ideal climate, so the Gulf Coast and upper tier of states are not real high on my list. I just figured Iowa was far enough north (or south, depending) to avoid the worst of both.

Old 10-24-2008, 02:17 PM

586 posts, read 2,184,512 times
Go further south to get out of the snow belt. We average about 30"-40" per year depending on what part of the state you're in. I enjoy the 4 seasons and wouldn't want to live in a place with a monotonous climate pattern, but the Upper Midwest has horrible weather in comparison to other regions of the country. Iowa experiences winter temperatures (with temps routinely in the 30's or lower) for about 5 months of the year.

With crazy weather like we have in the midwest, it makes you appreciate those warm, sunny, not so windy and not so humid days of the year all the more. Too bad you can count those days on two hands.

Old 10-24-2008, 05:28 PM

2,061 posts, read 4,133,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvlenon View Post
I have a while to go before I retire, but don't want to wait until the last minute!

I have lived most of my life in AZ and am from a town of less than 1000 people. I currently live where there are 9 people, 3 dogs and 2 cats.

I went to college in Flagstaff and have spent winters in Colorado and Wyoming, so I am not un-used to colder weather.

I would like a smaller town where I can get to a city if I need to (airport, shopping, etc). I also want someplace with the farmer's market/fourth of July parade/Christmas parade kind of life style. It may sound hokey, but that's okay with me.

I am looking for suggestions as to places to move - Panora and Spencer have both been suggested.
Move to Klemme, iowa~ they will welcome you!

would sent a personnal note if you had it available on your site!

PS, I'm going the other way~ moving from Ia to Az.

Old 10-24-2008, 05:58 PM

337 posts, read 1,528,216 times
Boone is a great little Central Iowa town. It has some pretty landscape around - it's not too far from Ames and Des Moines.

Old 10-25-2008, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckdoc View Post
Move to Klemme, iowa~ they will welcome you!

would sent a personnal note if you had it available on your site!

PS, I'm going the other way~ moving from Ia to Az.
I'm actually using my work computer, and we're not supposed to post our emails.

What part of AZ are you headed to?

Old 10-25-2008, 02:59 PM

I'm not THAT concerned about some snow. I spent 8 years in Flagstaff (Average 100" of snow a year), so I know about driving in it (or not, which was usually my preference). I also spent one winter in Gunnison, CO and waded through knee-deep snow to get to work. What I had in mind was snow up to the eaves in July.

Old 10-25-2008, 06:31 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
Quote: "What I had in mind was snow up to the eaves in July."

Take a look at Oskaloosa. Its an awfully nice little town. I am not a natvie, but I did spend some time there and I liked what I saw.

If you want to consider a little further east, Havana, IL has everything you mentioned, It wouldn't be a parade without our high school band, and shiny new tractors since we have two dealers in town. You're 50 miles from upscale dining and three airports..

Old 10-25-2008, 08:04 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,579,421 times
I'd go on over to Iowa to check it out. There is always the Des Moines metro area. There are a few nice small towns within a half hour drive to the metro area.

P.S. Winter's in Iowa are MUCH harsher than Colorado and Wyoming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa