Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 02:34 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,695,825 times

Advertisements

Re: murders in Mason City...
I just looked at the City-Data page for Mason City & looked up the number of murders shown each year from 2009 going on back through 1999. There were NONE recorded in Mason City in most of those years or 1 at the most so I have to respond to the info given by the previous poster who said that there "...are many murders..." and brand that as a FALSE statement.
Of course the data for 2010 & 2011 is not yet listed so perhaps things have changed. But, given the type of place Mason City is, I don't see that happening to where it would be "many murders".
People, please do some research before you make such statements as it would help us all out on this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 01:09 PM

6 posts, read 16,258 times
Default Mason City - bad areas

Someone posted that crime seems to be rising in the city, so it is important what area you are planning to move to in Mason City. What areas are the best for low crime? Thanks.

Old 08-22-2013, 03:03 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,348,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Dodd View Post
Someone posted that crime seems to be rising in the city, so it is important what area you are planning to move to in Mason City. What areas are the best for low crime? Thanks.
Mason City is a small city in the Iowa....there simply isn't a "bad side of town". Yes, there are nicer neighborhoods and rundown neighborhoods and odds are that a rundown neighborhood will have slightly more crime over time ,but again, this is Mason City, Iowa. Visit, drive the neighborhoods and find one you like. Don't waste time/energy worrying about "bad areas".

Old 08-22-2013, 03:50 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,263,202 times
There was a murder in Mason City last month, in that case the killer was the son of the victim. Being a family dispute it hardly carries the ring of a general crime wave.

They also made an arrest last month in a 1994 murder due to DNA testing.

My guess is that the recent murder and the arrest in the 1994 murder being in the news at about the same time just made it seem like there has been a murder epidemic to the previous poster.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:32 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,348,672 times
I'm not sure your point of pulling together these headlines? Hopefully it isn't to prove MC is some crime ridden city.

It is a city of 20K. You pulled links going back 20 years ago. There is going to be crime over that many years.

Old 08-22-2013, 10:34 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,495,531 times
I have relatives in Clear Lake nearby, that is a very nice old town with a beautiful lake. Good fishing too.

Old 08-23-2013, 03:47 AM

2,019 posts, read 3,193,033 times
Use to take our kids to Clear Lake for camping. Beautiful area for fishing and water-skiing.

Old 08-26-2013, 02:02 PM

178 posts, read 334,542 times
Why the interest in Mason City? It's OK, But I can think of a thousand places I'd rather retire.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:20 PM

5 posts, read 7,483 times
Ehh, Mason City isn't all that great, coming from someone who has lived about 20 minutes from Mason their entire life and gone there shopping millions of times.

I think crime is rising in Mason City. Someone posted about there being no bad neighborhoods. Mason City, is, of course, nothing like Des Moines or Chicago, but I would not opt to live on the north side of town. That's where the houses are really ramshackle. See, the theory is is that the low-income housing in Mason City attracted a lot of people up to no good from bigger cities like Chicago or Detroit. The housing is cheaper here.

Despite crime going up, Mason City is a pretty safe place, and Iowa is just safe all-around. I'm a 20-year-old petite girl that doesn't know karate or any type of martial arts for self-defense (nor do I carry a gun), and I feel safe shopping at most times of the day alone, even on the north side during the day. Most people are fairly friendly, like many Iowans, and are willing to help someone in need out.

The shopping in Mason City gets you everything you need but isn't great. The malls are both pretty small and don't offer a ton of different choices for stores. I usually go to Rochester, MN or Des Moines for better shopping.

There are quite a few different restaurants in Mason City that are quite good. I think you could find almost every type of common cuisine. There are a lot of homey, locally-run restaurants with good food.

There are two colleges in Mason City, North Iowa Area Community College (NIACC) and Kaplan University. Both are small and usually have a lot of local students and non-traditional students.

Mason City has a couple of parks that are nice, though East Park can get kind of sketchy and is not a place I would walk around alone at night. There's a bowling alley, spas, a YMCA, a few stables for horse lessons, tennis courts, the fairgrounds, and Lime Creek Nature Center, which is a very scenic area.

As a retiree, I would suggest you move to Clear Lake or Ventura, two small towns that are 15-20 minutes from Mason City. Both surround a lake where you can fish, swim, boat, or tan. Clear Lake is a bustling community because of all the tourists and has many cool shops and restaurants. Many people retire to Clear Lake and Ventura, and it would be a lot easier to make contacts in those communities I would think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa