U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-12-2008, 08:04 AM
 
61 posts, read 165,408 times
Reputation: 34
I've lived in Omaha my whole life and have only ever crossed into Iowa for the Mid-America Center, Adventureland, and I once went a casino buffet. How do you keep yourselves entertained besides the Hawkeyes? Honestly I don't know and I'm interested. Or at least I might be interested.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-12-2008, 09:17 AM
 
2,652 posts, read 8,009,123 times
Reputation: 1904
Des Moines has almost, if not all, the amenities Omaha has. Pretty much the same stuff, different town.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2008, 09:20 AM
 
Location: Chariton, Iowa
681 posts, read 2,838,272 times
Reputation: 451
How do you keep yourself entertained besides the Huskers, troll?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2008, 12:29 PM
 
Location: Central Iowa - Ankeny
337 posts, read 1,423,341 times
Reputation: 127
I don't know about other families ... I'd imagine they're about the same as mine. We churn a lot of butter ... make a bit of spare change making horse shoes or new wagon wheels. Sometimes we go to town every couple months with our nickels we saved up and pa lets us get a strawberry soda.

It's a mighty fine place to live, don't imagine there's anywhere else quite like this Jeffy!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2008, 06:17 PM
 
Location: Omaha
2,716 posts, read 6,387,317 times
Reputation: 1227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Traveler View Post
I don't know about other families ... I'd imagine they're about the same as mine. We churn a lot of butter ... make a bit of spare change making horse shoes or new wagon wheels. Sometimes we go to town every couple months with our nickels we saved up and pa lets us get a strawberry soda.

It's a mighty fine place to live, don't imagine there's anywhere else quite like this Jeffy!
Tell Laura Ingles I said hey!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2008, 06:18 PM
 
Location: Omaha
2,716 posts, read 6,387,317 times
Reputation: 1227
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpHawkeye View Post
How do you keep yourself entertained besides the Huskers, troll?
The Huskers arent very entertaining these days. Unless you enjoy watching a team give up 28pts in the first 4 minutes of a game(Oklahoma Game)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2008, 12:56 AM
 
61 posts, read 165,408 times
Reputation: 34
How come you all assume I think you churn butter for fun and for a living? I do wonder if theres anything you would reccomend, and seriously, the Hawkeyes are the only thing I can associate with Iowans enjoying themselves, I don't even know of a restaurant to go to. Personally I could care less about the Huskers, and there must be people who feel the same about Hawkeyes. Ok now can I get a good answer.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2008, 12:18 PM
 
Location: Shelton, CT
17 posts, read 60,106 times
Reputation: 40
Well I'm on the "East Coast" of Iowa myself but Iowa's all pretty much the same. As far as I can tell we do the same things every other American does to entertain themselves.It's not a foreign country its a mid-western state. We do the same things as everyone else, especially those living in more or less rural parts of the country. We watch TV, go to local sporting events, maybe go for a drive now that gas prices are lower, hit up a state park, some people enjoy hunting. In the bigger cities (Des Moines, Cedar Rapids, Davenport, Iowa City, Waterloo, Dubuque, etc.) there are many things to do that people might consider "cultural." For instance plays, festivals in the summer, concerts year round.

There actually is more to Iowa than corn and the Hawkeyes.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2008, 12:44 PM
 
11,288 posts, read 23,463,895 times
Reputation: 11200
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.JEFFY View Post
How come you all assume I think you churn butter for fun and for a living? I do wonder if theres anything you would reccomend, and seriously, the Hawkeyes are the only thing I can associate with Iowans enjoying themselves, I don't even know of a restaurant to go to. Personally I could care less about the Huskers, and there must be people who feel the same about Hawkeyes. Ok now can I get a good answer.
I would pose this question to Nebraska more than Iowa.

Omaha and Des Moines are for all intents and purposes fairly similar places. Nebraska has Lincoln with 250,000 people and the University, but I don't really know of anything outside there.

Every time I've driven through it's been miles of endless nothing.

Des Moines is in the center of the state, and then you at least have rolling hills, lots of green in the summer, and Cedar Rapids, Waterloo, Iowa City, Dubuque, etc.

I'd imagine Iowans do pretty much the same for fun as Nebraskans, or Kansans, or Ohioans, or Georgians.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2008, 12:49 PM
 
Location: Omaha
2,716 posts, read 6,387,317 times
Reputation: 1227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post

Every time I've driven through it's been miles of endless nothing.

Des Moines is in the center of the state, and then you at least have rolling hills, lots of green in the summer, and Cedar Rapids, Waterloo, Iowa City, Dubuque, etc.
Most of Iowa is not rolling green hills. Most of it is very similar to eastern Nebraska.

Many people also like the landscape of the Sandhills. It's just about preference.

Yes, anything you can do in Nebraska you can do in Iowa and vise versa.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top