U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 10:18 PM

771 posts, read 1,416,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by megonow View Post
I am an older woman (not stereotypical) who is looking for a good place to live for the rest of my life.

I want a liberal, interesting, affordable, culturally rich, and car free town or city or town. Someone recommended Ames or Iowa City.

I welcome opinions

thank you
Iowa City hands down.

Stay OUT of (L)Ames. The med school is in I.C. and the campus is much more compact, walkable, and there's free transit on campus.

The only downside are the brutally cold winters, and if you don't like college football, you're not going to like Iowa City

I have a BA and MA from Iowa and I'm from DSM... if I were to move back home (I'm in California now) and had the choice of places, it would be Iowa City, hands down.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 04:25 PM

1 posts, read 2,894 times
I would choose Iowa City without hesitation. I grew up in the Quad Cities, and would choose that over Ames. Iowa City is the most progressive place in Iowa. Ames is too conservative, and does have its share of students that like to party (why is anyone surprised that college towns have young people that drink?). The Quads are okay, but people in Iowa City are more accepting of outsiders (I can say this because I've lived in QCs and IC). Iowa City boasts world-class health care and a standard of living that is inexpensive when compared to to other parts of the country.

Old 11-13-2010, 12:14 PM

1 posts, read 2,098 times
Default Ames

I would recommend Ames (I went to ISU and live in Ames and have visited Iowa City many times). Ames is a beautiful and very green (use garbage to produce electricity, hybrid bus system, solar powered trash bins, there are bike lanes on many of the roads) city that offers a more "natural" feel with many parks and rec areas. It also has a great bus system (CyRide) that features hybrid buses with stops all over. Also, depending on your style there is campustown, which offers many college-scene bars and inexpensive eating; or downtown (main street) that offers great shopping (there's also a mall on the north side) and restaurants. There are many different ethnic restaurants in Ames from Indian, Chinese, Mexican to Japanese. There is also a great co-op grocery store, Wheatsfield; that offers organic, natural, and/or local produce. There are also venues for great musical acts that come through Ames either to Headliners in campustown or DGs taphouse on main street (a great upstairs bar with a hippie feel to it). The bigger acts play in Hilton or Stephens Auditorium. As far as theater productions (and musical acts) check out Iowa State Center to see a listing of musicals and plays that come through the Iowa State Center. And finally, the people are very friendly.

Eco-conscious, cultural offerings, friendly, and very affordable.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:44 AM

6,360 posts, read 7,248,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaCowgirl View Post
I have degrees from both universities (ISU and U of Ia) and loved both areas. I definitely think you can find liberals in Ames (I am one!!).

The benefits of both are the obvious ones of great arts and entertainment, great food and coffeehouses, ....possibly the geographical terrain of Iowa City is more exciting: near the Mississippi, but Ames has the Skunk River area. If you are affiliated with educational institutions in any way, Ames has a beautiful campus and Iowa City's is poor and lots of party-ers.

What are your interest?

IowaCowgirl
www.countryschoolretreat.110mb.com
you have to forgive me for pulling a major city-data no no: reopening a long dead thread.

but I just had to add something here based on IowaCowgirl's comment:

"Ames has a beautiful campus and Iowa City's is poor and lots of party-ers."

Iowa's campus poor? She has to be kidding. Iowa has one of the most scenic campuses in the nation. How many campuses have a river running through their middle, creating an amphitheater like setting where so much on both rising banks is visible from near and far.

Iowa's campus is unique in its special feel. There is something about being built around the old state capitol with streets already laid out that make it stand out. And then you the contrast with the east campus's city feel and the west's more bucolic setting.

Few universities wrap their campus around their downtown area so effectively as Iowa does.

I think the Iowa campus is a stand out beauty that stacks up well with the best of them. ISU may be beautiful, but Iowa's distinct campus is far more memorable.

Old 02-26-2012, 12:24 PM

652 posts, read 948,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrod View Post
I would choose Iowa City without hesitation. I grew up in the Quad Cities, and would choose that over Ames. Iowa City is the most progressive place in Iowa. Ames is too conservative, and does have its share of students that like to party (why is anyone surprised that college towns have young people that drink?). The Quads are okay, but people in Iowa City are more accepting of outsiders (I can say this because I've lived in QCs and IC). Iowa City boasts world-class health care and a standard of living that is inexpensive when compared to to other parts of the country.
I'm not sure that Iowa City is always more accepting of outsiders...some of the discussions with school redistricting in recent years don't necessarily reflect that.

The quad cities has fine healthcare facilities. As a person who once had there primary care physician affiliated with UIHC...I can say their system is less than perfect.

Home prices are more affordable in the quad cities area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa