Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 10:14 AM

1,744 posts, read 7,260,609 times

Advertisements

Even though the post is months old, I think it's funny that Listen Up! basically says that white = no culture. What a statement! That's a good example of the caliber of person who commonly complains about Iowa lacking culture. Once again I'm not saying that everyone who feels that way is like that...

Anyways, I think we should just say "yes" and move on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2007, 12:43 PM

1 posts, read 2,828 times
I speculate this individual was not raised in Iowa as most Iowan's can spell. After living in several different states and in Europe, Iowa is, in my opinion, the least racist area in which I have resided. The long term history of the state embraces immigrants and was the first state in the USA to welcome the Vietnamese following the war in SE Asia. Further, a short trip through the city will refute most of these claims and the success of minorities in business is easily evidenced. However, there is a very low tolerance for the 'baggy pants crowd' ... but that is pretty much the case in most areas.

Old 11-27-2007, 02:01 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
I am becoming convinced that whatever racism and close-minds there are in Iowa, it is the same in other states too. The only difference is that Iowa is above the Mason-Dixon line and a southern accent is rare.

Old 12-08-2007, 06:14 AM

39 posts, read 167,237 times
To Listen Up: Obviously your post was meant to get a response and I'll take your bait. I live on the west side of DSM and you've done a good job of stereotyping all sections of the city. The problem with stereotypes is that they are grossly oversimplified and just not true about 95 percent of the time. Yes, the south, north and east sides of the city have their very poor parts but there are also beautiful homes on all sides of town as well as great people.

I have an interracial family and certainly acknowlege that racism exists within DSM but as a family we travel quite a bit and it truly is no better or worse here than it is in larger midwestern cities----Kansas City, Chicago, Omaha, etc. In fact, from what I can tell, our suburban areas are actually more diverse in a black/white sense than many of the nicer Chicago burbs. For the most part we are accepted and as for those who don't accept us, they aren't people I'd choose to have as friends anyway.

I've lived here for about 20 years and yes, it took a while to settle in as Iowans are somewhat reserved but if one gives it a little time and as tek freek says, act as part of the community, you'll have no problem.

Old 12-08-2007, 06:02 PM

166 posts, read 615,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiki7 View Post
To Listen Up: Obviously your post was meant to get a response and I'll take your bait. I live on the west side of DSM and you've done a good job of stereotyping all sections of the city. The problem with stereotypes is that they are grossly oversimplified and just not true about 95 percent of the time. Yes, the south, north and east sides of the city have their very poor parts but there are also beautiful homes on all sides of town as well as great people.

I have an interracial family and certainly acknowlege that racism exists within DSM but as a family we travel quite a bit and it truly is no better or worse here than it is in larger midwestern cities----Kansas City, Chicago, Omaha, etc. In fact, from what I can tell, our suburban areas are actually more diverse in a black/white sense than many of the nicer Chicago burbs. For the most part we are accepted and as for those who don't accept us, they aren't people I'd choose to have as friends anyway.

I've lived here for about 20 years and yes, it took a while to settle in as Iowans are somewhat reserved but if one gives it a little time and as tek freek says, act as part of the community, you'll have no problem.
El Rhino - Chicago60614 - Stevie - Steve_W

Here you have a diverse family living in Des Moines speaking from experience - directly against your "diversity ruins communities" mantra.

Comments, gentlemen?

Old 12-08-2007, 07:15 PM

638 posts, read 974,347 times
I'm not exactly sure how you managed to lump me into that category "Not Iowa" but I'd prefer not to get involved in your little race card games, thank you very much.

Old 12-08-2007, 08:57 PM

166 posts, read 615,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie View Post
I'm not exactly sure how you managed to lump me into that category "Not Iowa" but I'd prefer not to get involved in your little race card games, thank you very much.
Stevie, review any one of your posts in "Is Iowa still promoting the State to Minorities" thread...

Since we can't take this post and quote it over there, I'm happy to point out the obvious where I find it.

Is it more embarrassing for you to be a racist when you don't have your like-minded buddies to immediately back you up?

Old 12-08-2007, 10:03 PM

638 posts, read 974,347 times
Like I said, I don't want to be apart of your little game. But if I have to then I'll defend myself I guess. I don't need my "buddies" for that. I just reviewed my grand total of 3 posts in the thread you mentioned. I did not see what was so racist about them. But I guess if you really want to prove me wrong then take this to that thread and point out what was so racist about them instead of just saying that you're "pointing out the obvious". That comment is not going to win you any credibility points with me.

Old 12-10-2007, 07:30 AM

884 posts, read 1,034,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Iowa View Post
El Rhino - Chicago60614 - Stevie - Steve_W

Here you have a diverse family living in Des Moines speaking from experience - directly against your "diversity ruins communities" mantra.

Comments, gentlemen?

I think the main point I was getting at is the obvious crime ridden neighborhoods of the minority races. (Which is fact by the way so u can call me racist.) Also, the inability of minorities to take accountability for their actions rather than blaming me, a white man, for his or her actions.

Is their something wrong with what I said other than it is not politically correct and it differs from your opinion?

Old 12-10-2007, 07:31 AM

884 posts, read 1,034,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiki7 View Post

Who the hell was talking about the homes? They may have been beautiful 50 years ago but have been neglected since.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa