U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2009, 02:33 PM

1,530 posts, read 1,396,888 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone--We've been to Dubuque a few times and liked everything about it. We plan to relocate here.

I've noticed the real estate taxes seem to be different for the same type of home in different parts of the city. Is each neighborhood taxed differently?

If the Mississippi River was to spill over---What neighborhoods are at risk?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 03:19 PM

100 posts, read 501,458 times
As far as I know, property taxes are calculated according to the individual home's assessed value. The characteristics of a neighborhood can boost or lower a home's value (proximity to schools, shopping, parks, density, etc), so the taxes would also vary, even if the home itself is comparable.

Don't lose too much sleep on the Mississippi River's flood potential. The entire length of Dubuque's waterfront is protected by a 30-foot high flood-protection barrier, and has been since 1972. The highest recorded level of flooding EVER in the city's history was 26.81 ft., and that was in 1965. The highest level since then was 25.40 ft., in 2001. Most of the wall is buried beneath a dirt levy, disguising it from public view. In the unlikely event that water overtops the wall, most of the areas that would be directly affected are non-residential. More info: Advanced Hydrologic Prediction Service: Quad Cities: Mississippi River at Dubuque (Railroad Bridge)

The highest levels of fear about flooding pertain to sporadic flash-floods that occur from time to time, and revolve around the Catfish Creek and Bee Branch Sewer Line, NOT the Mississippi River. Without getting into too much detail... I can tell you that these problems are being addressed as well. (Google "Bee Branch Creek Restoration")

People in Dubuque just don't worry about the Mississippi flooding, and it's NEVER a consideration when buying a home in the city. Good luck to you, and welcome to Dubuque!

Old 01-02-2009, 06:49 PM

3,177 posts, read 2,529,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNort View Post
Hello Everyone--We've been to Dubuque a few times and liked everything about it. We plan to relocate here.

I've noticed the real estate taxes seem to be different for the same type of home in different parts of the city. Is each neighborhood taxed differently?

If the Mississippi River was to spill over---What neighborhoods are at risk?
It is a buyers market for homes in Dubuque. Lot of other places in the country too. Lot of homes for sale here and prices are coming down. Should you decide to relocate to Dubuque, you can be picky and take your time before deciding.

You didn't say if you are retired or not. Job market here like most places is very tight and not many good jobs available. You would want to to check that out if you are in the market.

Jasper

Old 01-03-2009, 02:32 AM

Thank-You so much for all the info---The web site was very helpful. Its a relief to know all neighborhoods are okay. I had some areas ruled out,
worried I would get flooded out.

We've been looking over the housing market there for awhile. I see prices coming down on homes there.(Got to sell here first) With economy slow here and everywhere,things are delayed.

We,re not retired so I have been looking over your job market. Your a larger area with more availability.

Are DSL and cell service availble on the outskirts of town?
What are your recommendations for cable or satellite service?

Old 01-03-2009, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNort View Post
Thank-You so much for all the info---The web site was very helpful. Its a relief to know all neighborhoods are okay. I had some areas ruled out,
worried I would get flooded out.

We've been looking over the housing market there for awhile. I see prices coming down on homes there.(Got to sell here first) With economy slow here and everywhere,things are delayed.

We,re not retired so I have been looking over your job market. Your a larger area with more availability.

Are DSL and cell service availble on the outskirts of town?
What are your recommendations for cable or satellite service?
DSL and cell service are available on outskirts of town. Go with satellite dish as Dubuque cable is terribly overpriced.
Jasper

Old 01-04-2009, 12:08 AM

Thanks for the info.

I had to ask--here theres lots of dead zones (not enough towers)for cells and DSL just became availble to us thru are phone company. I'd hate to go back to dial-up now that I've experienced DSL.

Every area is so different and I'm one to be more organized especially in making a move.

Old 03-05-2009, 12:19 PM

5 posts, read 18,759 times
UpNort,
I have noticed that you are interested in moving to the Dubuque area...that is great and I would certainly agree that this is a wonderful community. Do you have a timeframe in mind on relocating to Dubuque? I would welcome the opportunity of working with you on building a personal banking relationship and assisting with your home buying experience. Can I help?
Deb

Old 03-05-2009, 12:35 PM

Thank-you for the offer.

We're in a hold pattern,waiting for our home and business to sell.
Hopefully banks will loosen up soon and we can get a buyer.
I will keep you in mind when we get to the next phase.

Business is very slow so alot of energy being used to stay afloat myself.

Old 03-07-2009, 07:16 AM

I advise anyone moving anywhere to secure a job first before making a move. Dubuque is feeling the effects of the recession like everywhere. Although IBM will be hiring, John Deere just layed off 220 people so job market is not great here.

Jasper
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa