U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 09:50 AM

154 posts, read 856,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I recommend going to iowajobs.org, if you haven't already. And also reading the "The Hawkeye" online. In smaller towns like these, sometimes it's better to go in person and just give your resume to people. In the accounting field I see plenty of jobs. And there are jobs out there, people just need to look. I am originally from Southeast Iowa, and recently moved to Burlington myself. And it's not as some people would have you think. I haven't married my cousin(it just didn't work out ), I'm not an idiot, and yes, I have all my teeth.
I think you guys will do great, and I wish you the best of luck!
Thanks for the info. I will check out that website and yes I look at the Hawkeye online. I am assuming it will be easier to find a job once I'm physically there. Sending my resume out while I'm still in CA, won't probably do me a lot of good since they will most likely want to meet me in person. I am not scared to take my resume and knock on doors. I have gotten most of my past jobs by being persistent and submitting resume's to places that weren't even advertising any open positions. I am hoping to find a full-time job in Accounting, at a company who offers medical insurance. But considering the current economic situation, I am more worried about finding a job than I normally would be. I know Burlingotn isn't as dead as some people on these threads claim it is. I was just there recently and I didn't see any vacant neighborhoods or tumbleweeds blowing down the street. I think we'll be fine. ; )
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 02:36 PM

5 posts, read 14,670 times
It's not that bad. There's a thriving indy music scene, a growing art scene, street festivals, neighborhood festivals, farmers markets, funky coffee shops and good ethnic restaurants... just not as many as you'd get in bigger towns. But the plus side is you get to know your neighbors, people recognize your face. The area isn't anywhere near as economically depressed as other parts of the country. It IS more ethnically diverse then other towns ... in Iowa.
We're glad you're coming. Don't give up.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:07 AM

2 posts, read 11,543 times
I live in Burlington and have dealt with the job situation for a while. Now if you are willing to work go to Temp Associates and they will find you work. It may not be great but they can find you something to get you by and you can always keep looking. I have used them twice now to find a job, five years ago and just a week ago, they always call with a job in just a day or two. I 'm not saying it will be your ideal job but I'm sure if you now the area you will have some ideas as to what types of businesses they will be. As far as insurance the have something called Hawk Eye insurance they advertise on t.v. all the time for children. I would look into that.

Old 04-07-2010, 11:57 AM

11 posts, read 29,146 times
Smile Any Luck?

I was just looking over this thread, It looks like its been a while since anyone posted.....anyways I joined the job hunt in early '09 in Burlington. What I found is an abundance of jobs if you have a Bachelors degree. Statistically >20% of Burlington's residents have a degree; So my point isnt to put anyone down, but if you have a degree you will have a major advantage. Sure they weren't 100k a year offers, but in reality 35k to 50k will definitely cut it when you look at the cost of living here. I Currently make about 45-50K in Ft. Madison (15 minute trafficless drive), and support my girlfriend who is attending the local community college.
Main Point...If you are resourceful and aren't afraid to ask around, I dont think you'll have too many problems. Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa