U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 05:23 PM

18 posts, read 42,714 times

Advertisements

Forgive me if this question has been asked before, but I made it to the sixth page of threads and am tired of searching! Curious to hear what the people of Iowa think about Davenport; husband will be relocating with the Govt to that area. I've used these forums for two other moves and it is better than a realtor! Thanks for any information you can share (high schools, soccer activity for kids if any, main employers, how has the economy affected the area, home sales) Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 10:19 PM

337 posts, read 1,421,490 times
As I've said before. The Quad Cities aren't impressive and it's not out to prove anything but I don't think it would be bad place to live, I have most of my family in the area and always enjoyed visiting. Overall I would avoid living in Davenport, but rather live in Bettendorf. Bettendorf is crime-free and clean - has good public schools if you won't enroll your kids in private.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:59 PM

204 posts, read 944,672 times
Merryk9...

I moved back to the Quad Cities in 2006 from central Iowa, and haven't regretted it for a second. Despite what some may say on this forum, there is plenty to do in the area and the local economy has not been hit excessively hard by the latest economic downturn. The area already had it's massive recession in the 1980s and has stabilized quite well during the last fifteen years.

The two main employers in the Quad City area are the Rock Island Arsenal (which has been growing in recent years)and John Deere (International headquarters, plus several large factories). Manufacturing still represents a significant portion of the local economy, however the QC is home office to several noteworthy insurance companies (Modern Woodmen, Bituminous, Royal Neighbors, Sentry, and Illinois Casualty) plus other varied industries such as avionics (Carleton Life Support Systems), robotics (Genesis Systems), and IT services (eServ) all have a considerable presence in the QC-area workforce. There is the common misconception that tractors are the only thing made here. In reality, items ranging from art sculptures (Isabel Bloom) to the fuselage of the Airbus A380 (Alcoa) is produced in the Quad Cities.

The best school systems in the area can be found in Bettendorf and Pleasant Valley. Those districts also, as you might guess, are located in the most affluent areas of the region.

As for amenities/cultural/recreational offerings, I could write several paragraphs...but I'll just point you to this YouTube video link instead. It gives a nice overview of what you can find here:

YouTube - Visit Quad Cities

Old 01-15-2009, 09:42 PM

586 posts, read 2,008,393 times
I'm curious about the local dichotomy between the Iowa Quad Cities and the Illinois Quad Cities. Is there a local perception about a bad side versus good side? Is one side more tailored to a different lifestyle than the other (ie. young population versus more established, rich vs. less priveliged, urban vs. surburban, higher crime vs. lower crime) or is it farily balanced across the board.

I find the very makeup of having 4 primary cities interdispersed with a bi-state division a pretty interesting study and fairly unique with metro areas across the country.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMRyan View Post
I'm curious about the local dichotomy between the Iowa Quad Cities and the Illinois Quad Cities. Is there a local perception about a bad side versus good side? Is one side more tailored to a different lifestyle than the other

I find the very makeup of having 4 primary cities interdispersed with a bi-state division a pretty interesting study and fairly unique with metro areas across the country.
Each side thinks the other is the "bad side". There is a territorial nature to the metropolitan area, yet everyone in the region considers themselves Quad Citians at heart. I work with people from Clinton, Muscatine, and Galesburg who consider themselves "Quad Citians" because they are fairly close to the region. The label of Quad Cities really extends beyond the four principal towns involved.

Each city has very unique characteristics that appeal to a certain demographic. Bettendorf is very affluent and upscale. If you like living in suburbia, Bettendorf is the best place for that experience. Rock Island is more urban. It's Hilltop neighborhood (bordered by 12th to 18th Avenues between 30th and 38th streets) is a real walkable locale, with nearly every type of shop and service within easy walking distance. There are also numerous transit lines that run late into evening and on Sundays too, so you don't need a car to live there. Moline and Davenport are the prototypical middle-class, blue-collar towns.

Having four anchors split over a bi-state metropolitan region has created some daunting identity challenges. Collectively, the area has a nice array of amenities. However, because those amenities are divided between the four cities instead of concentrated in just one, it (unfairly, I believe) dilutes the perception of their availability. The Quad City area could benefit from a little more synergy between its core constituents. I think this fact is being realized and more is being done collaboratively between the cities, instead of competitively as it was in the past.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfrerkes View Post
Bettendorf is very affluent and upscale.
I would say this is a stretch, it's more of a middle-class community with upper-middle class neighborhoods popping up. About just right. Very affluent and upscale is not Bettendorf, at all. Is not anywhere in Iowa.

Old 01-16-2009, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Traveler View Post
I would say this is a stretch, it's more of a middle-class community with upper-middle class neighborhoods popping up. About just right. Very affluent and upscale is not Bettendorf, at all. Is not anywhere in Iowa.
I have a feeling anything I attempt to say positive or favorable towards the Quad Cities will quickly be "revised down" due to your obvious disdain for the area. Of course Bettendorf isn't the most affluent or wealthy city in the US, but as far as Iowa cities go, it is safely in the upper echelon.

Old 01-16-2009, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfrerkes View Post
I have a feeling anything I attempt to say positive or favorable towards the Quad Cities will quickly be "revised down" due to your obvious disdain for the area. Of course Bettendorf isn't the most affluent or wealthy city in the US, but as far as Iowa cities go, it is safely in the upper echelon.
read the first reply to this post, i said i don't think it would be a bad place to live. i'm just realistic.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:53 PM

18 posts, read 42,714 times
Thanks for all input! I think I have more research cut out for me I have about 4 months to look into it all.....thanks for the youtube link....didn't think to check there.

Old 01-17-2009, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merryk9 View Post
Thanks for all input! I think I have more research cut out for me I have about 4 months to look into it all.....thanks for the youtube link....didn't think to check there.
Is your husband by chance a member of the First Army? I know that division of the military is being moved to the Quad Cities under the latest round of BRAC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or