Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2010, 05:46 PM

34 posts, read 101,350 times

Advertisements

Hi all: I'm thinking of relocating to Iowa from upstate NY for a job. I've searched through all the threads and can't seem to find much on the area I'm looking at other than people seem to dislike Sioux City I've looked at the photo thread and personally I think Iowa is very pretty.

I've read all the negatives but I make my own happiness so I'm interested in what people can tell me about the Le Mars area. I'm assuming it's rural which is ok with me. I can get along with anyone and don't need a lot of things to do - we spend our weekends now driving around sightseeing (nature). I'm also big into horses.

Can anyone tell me anything about this area? Cost of living? Would I be able to find a house to rent with 3 little dogs? I currently pay $1225 for a 2 bedroom, 2 bath duplex with a 2 car garage. I'm hoping this area would be considerably cheaper.

State taxes? They can't be worse then NY!

Thanks! Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2010, 03:23 PM

Nobody? The job opoortunity is looking better and better all the time so I may be visiting soon and I guess I'll see for myself.

Old 12-08-2010, 01:17 PM

33 posts, read 100,053 times
Default Lemars

Lemars has the dairy plant and they used to have a college. The city took over the campus and uses it for various purposes. It is a nice town and you are close to Sioux City and Orange City. Orange City has some Dutch styled shops, buildings, and attractions. To the west of Lemars are the Loess Hills if you like nature outings. There are some parks in the Loess Hills for you to explore nature on foot in addition to the scenic drives. Stone State Park has equestrian trails.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:09 AM

Thanks so much! It looks like I'd be happy there. We'll see

Old 12-10-2010, 12:12 PM

33 posts, read 100,053 times
Default Lemars

You're welcome! Also, Lemars may not have a lot of homes for rent because it is a small town, but if you do find one then it looks like you will have enough money to afford it. Look in the small towns just outside of Lemars and even for a rural home to rent too. It sounds like it might fit you since you are looking for somewhat of a rural setting.

Iowa is not a state income tax free state like Washington or South Dakota, but other than that I don't know exactly where Iowa stands. There are different things to consider like the different types of taxes from income to sales to property.

Old 12-16-2010, 03:43 PM

5,238 posts, read 7,951,293 times
Check out the local papers in the area, that may give you some idea of the area. I did notice a 3 bedroom farm house for rent. You might inquire about rent and pets, just so you have some idea. As Sious City is the closest larger city, here is a link to their paper and to their tourist center. The Loess Hills are about 20 miles east of Lemars. Take a look at the links below. Best of luck to you.

Le Mars Daily Sentinel: Classifieds
Sioux City Journal
Visit Sioux City | Sioux City Tourism
The Loess Hills: A Geologic View
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa