Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2008, 11:39 PM

2 posts, read 6,916 times

Advertisements

My family and I are moving to sioux city sometime in 2009 for a job at the sioux gateway airport. My wife is wondering if there is ever any tornados in the area or flooding, bad storms etc. She is terrified. Any information will be greatly appreciated.Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 12:10 AM

337 posts, read 1,528,791 times
Nothing to be TERRIFIED about. However, all three are a harsh reality of life in Iowa. Northwest Iowa gets quite a few tornadoes in the spring/early summer, flooding isn't very predictable but odds are you won't have to deal with it too much. This year was VERY unusual. Bad storms don't only include tornadoes but also include blizzards, ice, and A LOT of snow.

There are beautiful springs, warm summers, colorful autumns, and white christmas' which make it all worth it. I'm sure you guys will get here and find it is nowhere near as bad as you picture it!!

Enjoy your jobs at SUX!!! (had to!)

Old 11-25-2008, 02:42 AM

2 posts, read 6,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Traveler View Post
Nothing to be TERRIFIED about. However, all three are a harsh reality of life in Iowa. Northwest Iowa gets quite a few tornadoes in the spring/early summer, flooding isn't very predictable but odds are you won't have to deal with it too much. This year was VERY unusual. Bad storms don't only include tornadoes but also include blizzards, ice, and A LOT of snow.

There are beautiful springs, warm summers, colorful autumns, and white christmas' which make it all worth it. I'm sure you guys will get here and find it is nowhere near as bad as you picture it!!

Enjoy your jobs at SUX!!! (had to!)
Thank You. I hope my job doesn't SUX AT SUX!

Old 02-11-2009, 01:01 PM

135 posts, read 548,280 times
I've heard SC is protected from Tornadoes by its three rivers: Missouri, Floyd and Big Sioux. That way the only way a tornado can come in is from the North, which is not the way they ususally travel

Old 02-11-2009, 02:28 PM

337 posts, read 1,528,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearringtonflash View Post
I've heard SC is protected from Tornadoes by its three rivers: Missouri, Floyd and Big Sioux. That way the only way a tornado can come in is from the North, which is not the way they ususally travel
Areas with rivers always say that ... then a tornado hits. Another good one is the old "Indian Prayer" myth where people think their town is protected by old indian spirits.

Old 02-11-2009, 03:04 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,130,500 times
Sergeant Floyd is protecting Sioux City from his perch up on the bluff, he channels his anti tornado spirit ray thru the monument. The people of Sioux City helped round up his parts after his coffin washed out the side of the bluff. So he returns the favor.

Last edited by mofford; 02-11-2009 at 03:17 PM..

Old 02-12-2009, 12:14 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,130,500 times
Seriously, about the weather in Sioux City.....If you drew a line on a map from Des Moines to Sioux City and over to Rapid City SD, you would find that these places all have about the same average temperature. However, you get greater extremes in the high and low temps as you go west along that line. It gets more windy as you go west, SC has a little more wind than DSM, but gets the first frost a week or two earlier in October than DSM. SW Iowa gets help from the warming winds from Kansas/Neb area southwest to keep it a few degrees warmer.

Don't worry about the tornados, Sergeant Floyd has your back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa