Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 10:42 AM

102 posts, read 173,373 times

Advertisements

As a recent retiree, I am considering relocation to Iowa, having heard and read for years about the state's superior quality of life. Though a number of other locales are on my list (Madison, WI, Milwaukee, Twin Cities, Columbus, Stevens Point, Rochester MN, Ann Arbor, to name a few in the midwest alone), both Iowa City and Des Moines are high on my list of choices. I would appreciate information regarding the most desirable (clean, safe, quiet), yet affordable neighborhoods for apartment rentals within the city limits or very close-in suburbs, far enough away from student-dominated areas. Criteria are proximity to shopping and other frequently-necessary services, near reliable public transit. Prefer older, well-maintained buildings (no high-rises). Price range: approx. $600-900/mo. for a studio or one-bedroom apt., though am somewhat flexible. I am very progressive, follow a green, vegan and animal-friendly lifestyle. Please advise if locating such a place is feasible these days. Any additional information about living in Iowa City and/or Des Moines is also welcome.

Ron in Oakland, CA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 11:34 AM

173 posts, read 345,642 times
Well, Iowa City is much more easier when it comes to transportation because of the University, although Des Moines has pretty good transportation too. Both have good downtown's but when it comes to shopping,Des Moines has the edge due to its size. Iowa City is easier to walk around because it's smaller, everything is around the university, unlike downtown Des Moines. There are lots of shops and restaurants downtown Iowa City, and you can also catch a bus to Coral Ridge Mall the second largest mall in Iowa, in the adjacent town of Coralville. I think Iowa City is better, but I also like Des Moines. Keep doing more research, both cities are great. You should visit them soon.

Old 01-13-2012, 12:29 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,273,013 times
Unless you need the amenities of a larger city, I think Fairfield is the town in Iowa that best fits your desired lifestyle. Being the home to Maharishi University of Management , there is a heavy emphasis on sustainable living and ecology as well as alternative medicine and dining choices. There is more cultural diversity than one would expect in small-town Iowa, and a very active performing arts center. Rents are typically a little lower than what you are looking for, and there are a lot of older, well-kept buildings around town. And around here a "high-rise" is anything over 3 stories tall. Anyway, if you think you could deal with a smaller community, I'd suggest checking it out.

Of the two cities you mentioned, I think Iowa City would be a better fit for the lifestyle you describe.

Old 01-14-2012, 06:53 AM

120 posts, read 305,956 times
Iowa City is a great small city,but it is more spread out, with fewer amenities per neighborhood than Des Moines. My suggestion would be either the Ingersoll or Beaverdale areas of Des Moines. Both offer shopping and buslines. There are 3 parks within walking distance of where I live in Beaverdale. You might also consider the Roosevelt area. I can't speak to how animal-friendly landlords are.... I have heard it can be challenging to find a landlord that accepts pets, but that probably depends on how many and what type of pets you have.

Old 01-14-2012, 01:32 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,350,894 times
Based on your description, I'd suggest Ingersoll, North of Grand Ave, or Sherman Hill neighborhoods in Des Moines.

Historic Sherman Hill, Des Moines, IA, A Distinct Downtown Neighborhood

Old 01-17-2012, 08:50 PM

1,922 posts, read 1,745,961 times
If you think hot and humid summers and cold miserable winters is quality living, you will enjoy Iowa.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:23 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,350,894 times
^ Here comes Debbie Downer!

Old 01-18-2012, 09:15 AM

586 posts, read 2,185,624 times
Iowa weather is not for p*ssies.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:53 AM

509 posts, read 1,167,981 times
Yeah, no pissies here.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:56 AM

509 posts, read 1,167,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_IA View Post
If you think hot and humid summers and cold miserable winters is quality living, you will enjoy Iowa.
According to the 110 Rules of Civility & Decent Behavior in Company and Conversation, made popular by our beloved George Washington, Rule 62 reads thusly:

"Speak not of doleful Things in a Time of Mirth or at the Table; Speak not of Melancholy Things as Death and Wounds, and if others Mention them Change if you can the Discourse tell not your Dreams, but to your
intimate Friend."

TAKE NOTE ,YE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa