U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 06:53 AM

2,796 posts, read 5,659,287 times

Advertisements

Dubuque. It has a small town feel, but is big enough to have everything you need. Plus it is the fastest growing city in Iowa. Probably the most scenic area in Iowa too. Also has great schools. Low crime. Housing is very affordable there too.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2009, 01:13 PM

337 posts, read 1,421,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
Dubuque. It has a small town feel, but is big enough to have everything you need. Plus it is the fastest growing city in Iowa. Probably the most scenic area in Iowa too. Also has great schools. Low crime. Housing is very affordable there too.
It's not the fastest growing city in Iowa.

Old 02-07-2009, 08:59 PM

2 posts, read 10,795 times
Default THE best place.

I would definitely recommend Ames. It's a college town so it is constantly changing and growing, and there are tons of opportunities for work, school, etc. It is a safe town with almost too many cops. I lived there for 5 years and miss it terribly. I live in WI now, but will likely move back someday. I hope.

Old 02-07-2009, 09:03 PM

2 posts, read 10,795 times
Yes- Dubuque is a very beautiful city, and they have been doing a phenomonal job reviving the city.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:05 PM

15 posts, read 31,827 times
I live in Davenport, Soon to move to PNW. I grew up and went to school in Dubuque. I love Dubuque, its a really nice place to raise a family. Plus IBM bringing all the jobs in now and I do agree that its growing pretty fast, but its not the fastest growing in Iowa. In honosty if I didnt decided to move to PNW for schooling, I'd move back to Dubuque. Plus I dont like the QCA.

Old 02-11-2009, 06:35 PM

114 posts, read 454,763 times
I'm partial to Iowa City. or North Liberty ( a 'suburb or any other 'suburb' of tIowa there is really is very much crime and mostly it's student on student not student on citizen EVERYTHING is here froim Wallmart to high end clothing

Old 02-11-2009, 08:42 PM

27 posts, read 90,956 times
My aunt has been there a few times and had surgery in their hospital.. having a good hospital is important to me since i have 3 kids. do you know of any rentals that allow a small dog? i am having trouble finding apartments in that area in general...thanks Amanda

Old 02-11-2009, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yungclas View Post
Yes- Dubuque is a very beautiful city, and they have been doing a phenomonal job reviving the city.
jobs are important... i will def look into the area. I think as soon as it gets nice out we will have to road trippin... explore towns and see whats available

Old 02-11-2009, 10:11 PM

204 posts, read 945,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iowamama26 View Post
I am aiming in the 15-25 thousand population range. Not to big, not to small. Has most major department stores....Thanks and any and all opinions are appriciated!!!!
You'll have a difficult time finding a town in the 15k-25k range with most major department stores. It sounds like you're looking for a small town that is also a regional retail magnet. My two best suggestions would be:

1) Spencer
2) Carroll

Both towns are actually under 15k, but have most nearly every retail amenity you will find in a town of 25k. That is due to their remote rural setting, where they face no stiff retail competition from nearby metropolitan areas. As a result, they are the de facto retail hub for their respective regions. Also, both cities will give more of that small-town feel than places like Dubuque or Ames, which are actually metropolitan areas and contain more than double the population ceiling you specified.

Old 02-12-2009, 06:53 AM

thank you. there are a few towns that seem great! i think i am going to have to road trip to see what different towns meet our needs... keep the suggestions coming. thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or