U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 05:29 PM

3,020 posts, read 3,336,783 times

Advertisements

Border security should not be a conservative or liberal issue, it should be a national issue. Just about every country in the world worth getting into controls thier borders and immigration policy. Invaders sneak into our country to send money home and ignor our lanquage and culture. They embrace the gang culture and threaten the future of America. They are not the same as the legal immigrants of the 19th century, whom embraced the american way and became americans.

Another 700 billion in stimulus going thru and not a damn nickel for border security, what a shame, because that is what will save us billions in future headaches.

Sorry to the OP for getting off topic, think I'll go out and bury head in the snow like DMRyan, but I will be doing it to cool off.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2009, 10:42 PM

31,281 posts, read 69,801,937 times
Can we please get back on topic?

I'd pick Dubuque. I don't know why, but I've totally fallen in love with this city from afar. It has a great riverfront location, IBM is helping the city to buck the recession, shopping/dining/entertainment options are plentiful, the Dubuquers on this forum seem friendly, and you're not terribly far from Chicago for a weekend getaway (nearby Galena, IL is golden too!) If I were to move to Iowa someday, Dubuque would be high on my list, along with Cedar Falls, Ames, Iowa City, and Des Moines. Best of luck!

Old 02-15-2009, 08:03 AM

27 posts, read 90,941 times
Thank you S.B. I am going to go there next weekend to check it out provided the weather coporates.. Then I will go to other cities/towns over the wkends. Check out the for rent and jobs and the feel of the town.... Alot of posters are sayin the same couple of towns so those are the ones we will visit first. Thank you for your advise.

Old 02-21-2009, 06:37 PM

3 posts, read 7,869 times
I recently took a day trip to Dubuque from the Quad Cities and loved it. I didn't get a lot of time there but it was absolutely beautiful and it actually seemed to be a pretty "hopping" place. There were quite a few places to eat and shop. I'm looking forward to another trip back.

Good luck in your decisions to come!

Old 03-31-2009, 07:15 AM

7 posts, read 22,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMRyan View Post
I suppose the two and a half centuries of immigration in this country (both legal and illegal) have ruined everything this country stands for right? This immigration argument isn't new. I bet the the natives were saying the same thing about all those damn Italians flocking to the US in the late 1800's, or maybe discriminating against the Chinese immigration of the west coast several decades earlier.

That's not saying that I support illegal immigration but your reactionary fringe beliefs do more to continue to ostracize and divide this country than solve a legit national problem. The US will always be a melting pot culture, and people are just going to have to accept that on increasing levels in the future. Blending this many cultures together doesn't always happen easily and without problems, but that again is nothing new for America.

You can keep living your life in fear of everything that isn't the status quo, but know that as long as people can make a living through the American Dream, you won't stop people from getting here--even after you build all the tall fences you want and have all the angry, biggoted rhetoric spewed by hypocritical politicians.
Stop pontificating. Recognize that we have a major problem with lack of enforcement of immigration laws. Get off your liberal soap-box. Such ridiculous commentary is in part why political correctness has nearly ruined this country. You, perhaps will be one of those who enjoys the great sucking sound of the country going down the drain as you watch the illegal's you seem so enchanted with carry away every thing you've worked for all of your life and your police force trying to apprehend them with one arm tied behind their backs. Indeed, you should be first in line, maybe then you'll get a clue. You need to get a grip, dude, then get real.

Last edited by ColonelD; 03-31-2009 at 07:30 AM..

Old 03-31-2009, 07:33 AM

586 posts, read 2,008,052 times
Keep living in fear about everything in life you bigot.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:42 AM

They won't stop sneaking in here until it's no better here than where they came from. Better to stop it now, we will have to do something about it sooner or later. Already becoming a big mess, every neighborhood will eventually be adversely affected by it. Not everyone is going to be able to hop in their lexus and put 300K down on a new house in smiley town. How about a nice gated community for your future ? (puke puke)....The rich don't care because they can escape the crime and benifit from the cheap labor, the leaders of the democratic party don't care because it produces more voters for them. And the media doesn't care because their jobs are secure and the illegal immigrants produce news stories (ratings) that make them money.

Something has to be done !!

Last edited by mofford; 03-31-2009 at 11:16 AM..

Old 03-31-2009, 03:41 PM

681 posts, read 2,834,026 times

This thread has gone so far off the rails...

Old 03-31-2009, 06:21 PM

Best place to raise a family in Iowa........and illegal immigration has nothing to do with that, yeah right. I wonder which towns in the future will be the best to raise a family ? The ones loaded up with mexicans or the other towns (if there are any). I wonder if the gringo population from Perry, Marshalltown, Sioux City and Counsil Bluffs agree with you SharpHawkeye. Is E 16th and Grand in Des Moines a good place to raise a family ? The hospital in Perry doesn't deliver babies anymore, I wonder why ? People in Sioux City are upset about people breaking into their houses and stealing their stuff, who could be doing such a thing ?? It must be the underpants gnomes doing it in the middle of the night.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:58 PM

413 posts, read 1,585,620 times
Yikes. Go go gadget racism...

Times like this I wish there was a "[-] Rate this post negatively" option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or