Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2007, 02:30 PM

3 posts, read 9,969 times

Advertisements

My lovely wife and I have recently moved to Iowa City from California, and I was wondering what fruits and vegetables we are likely to find that are fresh & grown locally? I see a lot of sweet corn, of course, but can anyone tell me what else grows well around here? I picked up a cantaloupe at one of the chain grocery stores and was disappointed by the comparison to what we were getting out in CA.

On a related note, does anyone have a line on a good Farmer's Market or a better source for fruits & veggies? (New Pioneer Co-op, maybe?)

Thanks for any suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2007, 06:19 PM

48 posts, read 232,308 times
Default Iowa foodie info

Hi, 3Jake. I stayed in Iowa City for a few weeks and found that the New Pioneer was really nice. Both stores are good. Also, check out localharvest.org for lots of info!

Old 07-21-2007, 07:13 PM

100 posts, read 534,316 times
Tomatoes, cucumbers, corn, apples, grapes, squash, pumpkins can all grow well in Iowa. I even have had some locally-grown strawberries and peaches. The soil is very good here. Dubuque & C.R. have farmer's markets in their downtowns, not sure about I.C., though. I would bet that they do have something.

Old 07-21-2007, 09:10 PM

681 posts, read 3,035,613 times
Boy, you must be new to Iowa City if you're asking a silly question like that!

Iowa City has a very good farmers' market. It's held Wednesday evening and Saturday morning all summer long and into the fall. I've missed the last few weeks, but the last time I was there they had a wide variety of fruits and veggies, not to mention the local meat, baked goods and crafts. The city sometimes has a local musician play outdoors as well.

New Pi is, from what I hear, a fantastic local grocery co-op with all kinds of organic and local things. The prices are a bit higher than the chain stores they say, but the quality of the food is 10x better. (I myself am but a poor college student...so I'm slumming it at Fareway. )

In the fall the local orchards should start coming on...

And for the record, you aren't a true Iowan until you've bought-n a dozen ears of "peaches and cream" and a Muscatine Melon from the back of a pickup truck.

Edible Iowa River Valley
New Pioneer Co-op
City of Iowa City, Iowa - Official Website (broken link) (Farmer's Market info)

Old 07-22-2007, 01:27 AM

2,652 posts, read 8,581,045 times
Not sure if they have Grimes corn in IC, but if they do get it. It's great. Most of the produce there probably comes from out of state, so it may not be the greatest.

I'm sure you have noticed that the beef in IA is different than in CA. I like IA's beef better.

And FYI, stop comparing things to what you had in CA. That is one of the major beef's people have with Californians. We realize California is paradise (I know, I live here), but you are in Iowa now. Don't take that the wrong way, but I read all the time on these posts about how Californians are not looked at in the greatest way. This is one reason.

Old 07-26-2007, 11:06 PM

3 posts, read 9,969 times
Well, right on, thanks for the advice and the well-meaning FYI too. I'll keep my eyes open for the Farmer's Markets and try New Pi.

Incidentally, as someone recently transplanted, I'm sure there IS some temptation is to scoff at the locals and lament all the good stuff you used to get back home. I know I did it when I moved from Iowa City to San Diego 16 years ago and couldn't find good pork & corn. But my intent was not to talk up how awesome CA is compared to IA. I know how Californians are looked at. (I know how Iowans are looked at too.) I'm just looking for a good melon.

Old 02-08-2009, 03:35 PM

1 posts, read 3,056 times
Welcome to Iowa! I don't think your question is silly at all! Iowa definately isn't paradise. We do have alot of friendly people here though. Too bad the responses you received come across as kind of arrogant. Our family hopes you and your wife enjoy your stay here! It's kind of cold though. I'd rather be in California this time of year!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa