U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2009, 11:03 PM

37 posts, read 145,450 times

Advertisements

Just starting researching Iowa towns, and need some input on two things that will be important to me -- availability of apartments (including lofts) in areas with good public transportation within the city limits.

Those of you who live in the larger Iowa towns, lease tell me about the public transportation in your towns. Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 02:01 PM

267 posts, read 1,137,041 times
I live near Iowa City, and it has probably my favorite downtown in Iowa. I'd definitely recommend living here. We have three bus systems in our metro area: Iowa City, Cambus, and Coralville. You can probably get just about anywhere you want to go (especially living downtown, I believe every bus route begins at Old Capitol Mall) on one of these systems, and living downtown, you'd likely work near enough that you could walk or bike. There are a few bike trails in the area that are constantly being expanded as well. Iowa City has one of the better public transportation systems in the state, along with Des Moines and maybe Davenport. Iowan public transport in general is not terribly convenient, and having a car makes it much easier to get around, but you can get to where you need to go.

As far as apartments go, Iowa City has tons of them because of the University. However, it can be a competitive market, and there will probably be students nearby if that bothers you. Finding an apartment in any larger Iowa city shouldn't be all that difficult, check Craigslist and the local papers' websites.

Here are IC area bus routes and schedules:
Iowa City: Transit - Bus Schedules
Cambus: CAMBUS INFORMATION
Coralville: City of Coralville, Iowa (http://www.coralville.org/mod.php?mod=department&did=29 - broken link)

Old 02-13-2009, 01:36 PM

2 posts, read 5,213 times
I live in Sioux City and as far as public transport goes- we have the bus system. It runs from about 6am-6pm Monday thru Saturday. It goes just about everywhere in the city. As far as apartments go- one of the main landlords out here just foreclosed on a lot of his rental units which cut us down quite a few. He was the main supplier of cheap housing, however it was all pretty rundown. You can check the Sioux City Journal for housing and the Sioux City Transit for the bussing info. The transit site will show you routes and times. They even have a GPS tracking site so you can tell where the bus is on its route.

Old 02-13-2009, 05:48 PM

2,796 posts, read 5,659,563 times
Live in Iowa City. You can live without a car quite easily. Maybe easier than if you have to worry about a car. I lived without a car there for 3 years.

Old 02-14-2009, 03:38 AM

Thanks everyone. Does anyone have an opinion on Dubuque?

Maybe I should add that public transportation isn't optional for me; it's a mandatory.

iowegian, thanks for the links! I assume the students are thickest right around the university, yes? They probably wouldn't bother me, but I'd prefer an area where I'm more likely to meet folks my own (middle) age.

Old 02-14-2009, 06:04 AM

267 posts, read 1,137,041 times
Well, here's Dubuque KeyLine transit's website: Dubuque, IA - Official Website - Transit

It looks like if you live in the right places, it could work for you. I've only been to Dubuque a couple times so I can't tell you much about it but I think it would be a nice place to live, it is very scenic up in northeastern Iowa and I know Dubuque has been faring pretty well in the economic crisis. They're opening an IBM office there this year. There are Dubuquers on this board so hopefully they'll be of more help.

As far as students in IC goes, they are pretty much around the University. I'd say the square area between Prentiss/Bowery, Dodge, and Market is where the majority of students live. Outside of that box, you would be fine. (Anyone, feel free to correct me on this, but this is where I've noticed the strongest student presence.)

Old 02-14-2009, 02:51 PM

14 posts, read 55,966 times
Default Des Moines

I live to the west of Downtown Des Moines. The area along Ingersoll has a lot of apartments and it is very convenient to take the bus into Downtown. I have also walked to Downtown (took about a half hour with a child). Most of the apartments in the Ingersoll area are older brick buildings, not a lot of lofts. The lofts in Des Moines tend to be more Downtown. That being said there are two developments closer to Downtown by Ingersoll : the Gateway Lofts and Ingersoll Square.
Best part about living on this bus line is there is service on Sunday.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:07 PM

41 posts, read 154,926 times
Downtown Des Moines also has a free circulator bus system. With Dahl's down on Ingersoll, you'll be fine living in the areas Downtown or nearby (like Ingersoll, Sherman Hill or Drake).

Old 02-26-2009, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmguy30 View Post
Downtown Des Moines also has a free circulator bus system. With Dahl's down on Ingersoll, you'll be fine living in the areas Downtown or nearby (like Ingersoll, Sherman Hill or Drake).
Oh, excellent!

I'd been not looking at Des Moines because it seemed a bit bigger than I'd like. My attention keeps getting drawn to it, however...I think I need to seriously consider it.

Old 03-03-2009, 11:54 AM

100 posts, read 501,684 times
Dubuque's public transportation system, in my experience, is antiquated and inefficient. It has 4 lines... Red, Green, Gray, & Orange, 3 of which essentially cycle east and west between West Side shopping areas & the downtown transfer station on half-hour/hour-long intervals. The buses are fairly new, clean, and safe, but the system is underused because of the layout of the routes and the timing of the stops. Fortunately, the city is in the process of overhauling the system in the near future.

Although more loft apartments are planned for the downtown, the current supply of them is small, and most apartments are in the traditional style. Most complexes are well maintained, and rents are pretty affordable. There's a good listing of available apartments on www.accessdubuque.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or