U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2009, 08:04 AM

1 posts, read 3,506 times

Advertisements

I would really appreciate if I could get some answers from this forum.
I am considering a prospective employment in clinton ,Ia, and I have school going kids.

From what I see the schools are not great in Clinton,for this reason,I am also considering living in quad cities and driving to clinton every day,now is this practically possible in terms of weather, traffic, and road conditions,and how long would be the commute.

Among quad cities my choices are either Bettendorf or Davenport, How would u compare quality of life in terms of good schools/education and entertainment for kids,house rentals(3BR),people in general with clinton.

Is there any pollution due to the industries ,and any harm/ healthhazard for kids long term.how do you compare clinton, davenport and bettendorf on this.
What is the peculiar smell issue mentioned.
I would appreciate if some one can answer my questions.thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 10:55 AM

21 posts, read 64,573 times
I'm in IL about a half hour east of Clinton. I can sometimes smell it over hear on a windy day. I would look at Bettendorf and commute. Bettendorf has by far the best schools. Housing costs quite a bit more in Bettenorf too though. It looks like it's about 35 miles to Clinton from Bettendorf. I guess the commute depends on how great the job is, if it's worth it to you to make the move. There are some nice neighborhoods in Clinton, we looked at moving there at one time, but couldn't get past the smell. There are also a lot of dumpy, run down areas. We do go to Clinton for Lumberkings Minor League baseball games though and enjoy that. Morrison, on the Illinois side, but not far from Clinton, has excellent schools, and it would be a much shorter commute. However, Morrison is a pretty small town and there isn't a lot going on there as far as things to do. You pretty much have to go to the Quad Cities to find much in that respect.

As for what the smell is it's ADM - corn processing plant and also I think there is a rendering plant in town too. It's mostly the south west side that stinks, but really you can smell it all over. If you must live there, go as far north as possible.

Last edited by decidingwheretolive; 03-27-2009 at 11:03 AM..

Old 03-28-2009, 06:36 AM

17 posts, read 72,138 times
Deciding is right. Clinton Corn (as I believe it is known) is in the south and really foul. You have other options though. I would look rural in all directions. You may find very good schools, though smaller communities. The west side of Clinton seems better to me. My wife is from De Witt, about 20 minutes West on highway 20. It is a very nice, safe, little town, albeit a bit boring. I believe schools are quite good (my wife's stepmother is a high school teacher there). You can pretty much ride your bike from one end of town to another in about 3 to 4 miles on interior streets with little traffic. They do have several parks and a decent swimming pool. You'll do most of your major shopping in Quad or Clinton. I agree that as to the QC suburbs, Bettendorf has always been my favorite as well. Good luck.

Old 03-28-2009, 06:38 AM

17 posts, read 72,138 times
By the way, in choosing a home be very mindful of streams and rivers. There are some (the "Wapsi" is one I believe) that tend to flood nearly every year. Certainly an aggravation you don't need, particularly as homeowner's insurance doesn't cover flood. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa