Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 03:26 PM

4 posts, read 19,059 times

Advertisements

Oh TrevorJ, I would like some of those local Sioux City drugs your sniffing.....on a scale of 1-10, SUX rates in at a whopping 3.
Safe ?: 5 murders this year alone (its February)
High property taxes, horrible roads, low wage jobs, teenage pregnancy, gangs, serious drug problems....
Great housing prices - poor values - no resale increase
SUX has its time in the mid to late 90's, grew well in the early 2000's, but has been dying off ever since.
Colleges are over the top expensive while the education is marginal at best. No real world recognition of those colleges with any good favor.
The kids can play in the yard and feel safe most of the time, but that is changing fast and in just a few years its going to begin to resemble the likes of inner city chicago with poor quality of living, the majority of population just earning enough to make it and drinking away their troubles.....if you can leave now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 03:30 PM

2,072 posts, read 5,414,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaveitall View Post
Oh TrevorJ, I would like some of those local Sioux City drugs your sniffing.....on a scale of 1-10, SUX rates in at a whopping 3.
Safe ?: 5 murders this year alone (its February)
High property taxes, horrible roads, low wage jobs, teenage pregnancy, gangs, serious drug problems....
Great housing prices - poor values - no resale increase
SUX has its time in the mid to late 90's, grew well in the early 2000's, but has been dying off ever since.
Colleges are over the top expensive while the education is marginal at best. No real world recognition of those colleges with any good favor.
The kids can play in the yard and feel safe most of the time, but that is changing fast and in just a few years its going to begin to resemble the likes of inner city chicago with poor quality of living, the majority of population just earning enough to make it and drinking away their troubles.....if you can leave now
Where do you live now that you think 5 murders in an entire year is a city on it's way to the ghettos of Chicago?!!? Why didn't you put any statistical facts in your post? ... you just said things like "teenage pregnancy," like that only happens in Sioux City.

Old 02-28-2008, 03:33 PM

2,072 posts, read 5,414,612 times
Oh and look at #278 on this table, it's Sioux City metro - showing slow growth, however not decline, and not dying off.

Table of United States Metropolitan Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-28-2008, 03:34 PM

Clint_Noname:<quote>Sioux City is not crime-ridden by any standard. The violent crime rate is only slightly above the U.S. average. And you say that Omaha, NE is a better place to live...in actuality, it had a higher violent crime rate than Sioux City in 2006.

Sioux City isn't really a great place to raise a family, though...the schools are poor and the city has a dirty feel to it.<!quote>
(I guess if your OK with raising your kids in poor schools with a dirty feel, you'll get along just fine, my kids deserve a better opportunity)
Dude, this is 2008...the crime rate in SUX is always reported at the end of winter when the numbers are down and the data is skewed just like the data from Mercy as the Heart Center of the world.....they used constructed numbers....I know, I was very close to the people that published the reports.

Old 02-28-2008, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metro223 View Post
Where do you live now that you think 5 murders in an entire year is a city on it's way to the ghettos of Chicago?!!? Why didn't you put any statistical facts in your post? ... you just said things like "teenage pregnancy," like that only happens in Sioux City.
one of the highest teenage PG rates per capita in the nation.....20/20 about 2 years ago. Thats 5 murders this year.....2008...total of 52 days. While this number is small compared to other big populous areas, SUX is holding it own right now.....

Old 02-28-2008, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metro223 View Post
Oh and look at #278 on this table, it's Sioux City metro - showing slow growth, however not decline, and not dying off.

[URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_of_United_States_Metropolitan_Statistical_Ar eas"]Table of United States Metropolitan Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/URL]
growth is census backed with Hispanic population growth, while not a bad thing does unfortunately mean that your pulling in more lower paid blue collar work and the people leaving are the educated professional groups that have been laid off from the DYING white collar work force. So I agree, the down is not dying, but its sure got a bad limp and may never recover.

Old 02-28-2008, 05:56 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,921,728 times
I understand that the city was hit very hard in the 1970s and 1980s with the decline of manufacturing. I think the city is doing better and looks better now than it did in the early 1990s and is more progressive. In the past 30 years, the city has lost ground to Sioux Falls. Sioux City is around 80,000-85,000 people in it is limits and the area is growing more in its nearby cities, while Sioux Falls is 150,000-155,000 within its limits with nearby cities growing at robust rates. I think that Sioux City would progress more if it teamed up with Sioux Falls on regional issues and regional economic development.

Old 02-29-2008, 03:04 PM

64 posts, read 376,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro223
Actually, he said that so far in the calendar year 2008, there have been 5 murders. If I were living in Sioux City right now, and especially if I were raising a family there, I would be more than a little worried about my safety right now. If it continues going along at this rate (it's been 60 days so far), there will be a total of 30 murders in Sioux City in 2008. That might not seem like a lot to those of you that have lived in New York City or L.A. or some other larger city, but 30 murders is extreme for a city with a population of about 85,000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaveitall
I guess if your OK with raising your kids in poor schools with a dirty feel, you'll get along just fine, my kids deserve a better opportunity.
I'm not OK with a poor school system; that's why I said that "it's not a great place to raise a family". If I were raising a family, I would want my kids to be able to go to the state university. The problem is, if you go to a bad public school, you're not prepared for the ACT and SAT tests, and if you score too low on those tests, many universities and colleges will not accept you. That's why if I was raising a family in the state of Iowa, I would live in a city like Cedar Rapids or Iowa City.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaveitall
Dude, this is 2008...the crime rate in SUX is always reported at the end of winter when the numbers are down and the data is skewed just like the data from Mercy as the Heart Center of the world.....they used constructed numbers....I know, I was very close to the people that published the reports.
I used the statistics for 2006 because it's the most recent data available. They don't come out with 2007 statistics until this summer.

If you have proof that the crime statistics for Sioux City are being falsified, let's hear it.

Old 04-02-2008, 01:03 PM

5 posts, read 22,095 times
i am other person looking to relocate due to job transfer to the south sioux city area.
Please pass on advice for best living area

Old 04-24-2008, 10:31 PM

1 posts, read 4,674 times
Move to Le Mars ! Haha i LOVE it here. And its the ICE CREAM CAPITAL OF THE WORLD. How much better could it get?

We have Wells (Blue Bunny) Dairy.. And Deans now.. And Harkers, Schusters (trucking), and alot of other businesses!
Its a really nice town, too. Right around 10,000. Two schools (Puplic and Private). Its an all around great town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa