Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 12:15 AM

246 posts, read 1,244,980 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know why South Sioux City, NE can't be found under any searches (home, apartments, etc). We know there is an actual city in NE called South Sioux City which borders Iowa but can't ssem to find any information on it. Also, is Sioux City, IA a nice place....what are the areas with high crime and which are the areas with a nicer, suburb feel with low-crime and good schools. Thank you for any information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2006, 05:53 PM

5 posts, read 33,324 times
Talking Sioux City

Hey Vegas girl, yes there is a Sioux City, NE and there is a North Sioux City, SD and a Sioux City , IA. How funny huh? They are only a couple miles apart too, Ne is right over the bridge from IA. I used to live in Sioux City and I really liked it but then again I really like IA. I am thinking about moving back there (live in MN now) and I want to move to a town called Ute where the population is only 350 people but I just love it there.

Old 07-10-2006, 11:43 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,624,447 times
Quote:
Does anyone know why South Sioux City, NE can't be found under any searches (home, apartments, etc). We know there is an actual city in NE called South Sioux City which borders Iowa but can't ssem to find any information on it. Also, is Sioux City, IA a nice place....what are the areas with high crime and which are the areas with a nicer, suburb feel with low-crime and good schools. Thank you for any information
I used to live near there in a small town called Remsen (about 40 miles North) and still travel back every year to see people. Sioux City is HELL! There's nothing good about it. It's a very dirty, crime-ridden, and just plain horrible place to live. If you want to locate to the Midwest, go look at Omaha, NE or Sioux Falls, SD.

The real estate in SC is cheap....for a reason! Trust me in saying that you will not like it.

Old 07-13-2006, 08:10 PM

135 posts, read 546,159 times
Smile Sioux city houses and neighborhoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Grl

Sioux city has some very nice areas, and some that are rather run down. The better neighborhoods are generally to be found in the North Side, from Hamilton up to Jackson Street and from about 20th Street to 36th-40th and then somewhat east of there (Indian Hills). Also Morningside is a pleasant area, with the area near the Morningside College haveing the feel of a separate city.

I grew up in SC in the 1950's, and get back there frequently. I must say the downtown is in VERY sad shape, a mere shadow of what it was 40 or so years ago.

Perhaps the best thing about SC from a housing perspective is the price. Hard as it is to believe in this age of hyper-inflated values, $100,000-$150,000 can get you a very nice house in a nicer neighborhbood.

I can't say much about So.Soo (as it is usually called), it is growing and gradually running into Dakota City, the next town down the road. You might also want to look at North Sioux, SD and the Dakota Dunes area (more expensive, but bigger newer houses, etc).

Old 07-14-2006, 10:15 PM

Dakota Dunes, SD is a nice area, many doctors flee there because of the cheap malpractice insurance. The city is trying (albeit poorly) to revitalize downtown. The Orpheum is nice, they did a great job of fixing that up. In terms of anything to do......well there isn't much unless you like to go to bars every night. Check out Historic 4th Street, that's the "hub" (haha) of activity.

Old 07-28-2006, 07:18 PM

37 posts, read 273,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ
Sioux City is HELL! There's nothing good about it. It's a very dirty, crime-ridden, and just plain horrible place to live. If you want to locate to the Midwest, go look at Omaha, NE or Sioux Falls, SD.

The real estate in SC is cheap....for a reason! Trust me in saying that you will not like it.
As a current resident, I'd obviously have to disagree...to a point. (Although I've lived here since 1999, I'm not a SC native - and I can still see it from an outsiders perspective.) Yes, Sioux City isn't exactly Oz. But it's not as horrible as you describe - there really are a lot of good things to the city. Oh, sure - if you drive past the Morrell plant on a hot day you'll know why it's nicknamed "Sewer City", but when the community comes together for events such as ArtSplash, Rivercade, or Saturday in the Park, you'll see a city that you'd be proud to call home. And I have to agree with a previous poster - downtown Sioux City is practically dead. Efforts have been put in place to revitalize the area, but the progress has been slow.

South Sioux City is one of the fastest growing communities around here. The city is working hard to revitalize the community. There's a real sense of community pride in SSC, especially when it comes to the kids.

North Sioux City, SD and Dakota Dunes are popular as nearby escapes from the pain of state income tax. There's a lot of houses for sale in Dakota Dunes after the collapse of nearby Gateway, and the recent layoffs at MCI/Verizon and Tyson Foods. If you drive through the Dunes it seems that every third house is for sale, and I work with a guy whose house there has been on the market for almost a year.

Old 08-03-2006, 06:51 PM

3 posts, read 27,594 times
Default Not so bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Grl
Try www.siouxcityjournal.com to get housing information and news about what Sioux City is really like. Its updated every day.

For housing information, you can try siouxlandhomes.com, unitedrealestatesolutions.com or call the chamber of commerce (www.siouxlandchamber.com) (broken link). If you want to rent, check the classifieds on siouxcityjournal.com. All the nice apartment complexes (complex = 50 units) advertise in the classifieds with their phone numbers. If you call, you will be surprised how nice Iowans really are.

Any house or apartment that costs less than $600 a month is not in a good area. Barrington Park, Glen Oaks, Candlewick (Indian Hills), Prestwick (Morningside), Wellington, Sterling Green (Dakota Dunes) are all pretty good. The only decent housing less than $600/mth is in the vicinity of Morningside College...but you will be among college kids...and those rents are rising anyway because dorms are not keeping pace with enrollment.

Alternatively, you can look at the small towns in a 20 minute radius ...North Sioux, Dakota City, Hinton, Le Mars, Ponka where housing is cheaper (but not nicer), but you will more than make up for it in gas for your car. (You need a car around here!) Beware of renting old houses (esp multilevel), they may be charming but they are inefficient to heat and in winter and you will spend alot on energy bills.

You can get demographic data about Sioux City at en.wikipedia.org.
Search there for 'Siouxland'....it gives a great explanation about the difference/relationship among Sioux City, South Sioux City and North Sioux City. Also look at www.DakotaDunes.com to learn more about that deveolpment (really nice but $200..$300 a month more per month to rent or buy comparable houses/apartment).

As for that guy's negative comments... he is exagerating. I would not say Sioux City has any of those problems.

I came to America 10 years ago as a (legal) immigrant. I have lived in Atlanta, Wash. DC, Orange Co. Calif, and spent a significant amount of time in Des Moines, Omaha and Minneapolis. Every American city has bad neighborhoods and a certain amount of crime. Sioux City is alot safer, friendlier and cleaner than most American cities. There are bad spots of course but to say its dirty and crime ridden is just ridiculous.

People who come here from out of town always say that people are extremely friendly and helpful. They say that the 'downtown' is not much of a downtown, and they marvel at how affordable housing is. ALL THESE THINGS ARE CHARACTERISTIC OF IOWA. There is so much available land, nobody needs to crowd their business or home into 'downtown'.

The previous witer said he is from Remsen, Iowa. Remsen is a tiny town with a population of 1,000 rural people who lock their doors at night and can't drive though their town at more than 25mph. He might think that Sioux City has a crime problem in comparison. But compared to other American cities...it is calm, safe and afforable.

Good luck!

Old 08-15-2006, 03:09 PM

Quote:
The previous witer said he is from Remsen, Iowa. Remsen is a tiny town with a population of 1,000 rural people who lock their doors at night and can't drive though their town at more than 25mph. He might think that Sioux City has a crime problem in comparison. But compared to other American cities...it is calm, safe and afforable.
I am from the Remsen area, I grew up on an 800 acre farm a few miles from town (about 2000 people).

I'd look at alternatives to SC such as Sioux Falls or Omaha. Both of these places are 10 times better than SC and still have the relatively cheap real estate.

Old 08-23-2006, 07:43 AM

21 posts, read 178,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
I am from the Remsen area, I grew up on an 800 acre farm a few miles from town (about 2000 people).

I'd look at alternatives to SC such as Sioux Falls or Omaha. Both of these places are 10 times better than SC and still have the relatively cheap real estate.

SC isn't as bad as it used to be... We used to call it Sewer City for the same reasons as your previous post. Fortunately the bi-pass has brought alot of business into town, increased revenue, and so on.

personally, if I had to relocate to the Sioux City area (I'm about 60 miles NE of it now) I'd move closer, but not IN town... but that's just me~ you couldn't pay me enough to live IN town.

Old 08-23-2006, 02:32 PM

Quote:
I'd move closer, but not IN town... but that's just me~ you couldn't pay me enough to live IN town.
I agree there. There are some very seedy neighborhoods within the city but the outskirts are better.

I remember calling it Sewer City too, it was a COMPLETE dump when I grew up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa