Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 02:24 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,787,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
To the Supreme Court? How? I doubt the NC judiciary would condone anti-rights. As far as the legislature, they are thankfully still Democratically-controlled and with all the new transplants to Asheville (who didn't need any transplants to be liberal, lol), Charlotte, Raleigh, etc, will probably be from now on. North Carolina is a future battleground state for equal rights in marriage in the South, along with Virginia.

As far as Iowa goes, it looks like it is a lot more difficult to amend the constitution in Iowa than California. That's great news for us, even if they were able to target the legislature for passing an equal marriage ban, the earliest it could happen would be 2011 sesion, and hopefully by then the pendulum will have swung a bit further...
I wouldn't hold my breath on Virginia.

Old 04-03-2009, 03:06 PM

10,066 posts, read 14,444,601 times
Congratulations. What a GREAT step in the right direction this ruling is. VERY symbolic in terms of mainstream America. Now, we need a southern state to step up to the plate and lead the way in the south. That'll truly be the day!

Old 04-03-2009, 03:33 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,289,450 times
Yes, congrats to Iowa. It always seems to be the most socially stable, REAL family values states that are the best at living and letting live!

Old 04-03-2009, 06:02 PM

46 posts, read 106,307 times
Congratulations Iowa!

Old 04-03-2009, 06:05 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,704,417 times
Saw this historic moment here in Boston. Congratulations on being the 3rd state to recognize same sex marriage!

Old 04-03-2009, 06:54 PM
cnt

66 posts, read 109,710 times
I'm sorry, Iowa. I know you guys don't overwhelmingly support gay marriage, the state supreme court foisted this one you.

Old 04-03-2009, 07:39 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
As a rather reserved gay male living in a very socially conservative Northeastern state (no, that is not an oxymoron), seeing a relatively rural and moderate state like Iowa taking this bold step forward for civil equality really puts my mind at ease. Now when my partner and I are ready to finally cement our love for one another we can live in a great place like Dubuque or Iowa City and become active members in the community! I've always admired Iowa from afar, and now I have yet another reason to do so.

I wonder if those who oppose this decision will turn away the increased revenues (including sales tax revenues, hotel tax revenues, etc.) that will accompany the inevitable influx of thousands of same-sex couples into the state for their ceremonies? You have a beautiful state (although I wish there were more pictures of Dubuque on here), and now I know you truly have beautiful people as well! I wish people in Pennsylvania could wake up and smell the coffee! The loud-mouthed and liberal NYC transplants overrunning us couldn't come soon enough for my tastes! LOL!

To the most recent replier, like it or not more states are eventually going to follow suit, so if nothing else Iowa is just "ahead of the curve." My guess would be that the fourth state to legalize same-sex marriage will be Rhode Island (it's surrounded by MA and CT already), and the fifth will likely be California after a mountain of legal hurdles. New Jersey, which has now legalized same-sex civil unions, may be sixth, and New York would likely follow suit as seventh. The next Midwestern state to make this step would probably be Minnesota, as the relatively liberal and open-minded Twin Cities area dominates the rest of the state.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:43 PM

267 posts, read 1,231,816 times
I could hardly believe it when I heard the decision, but now that it's sunk in, I'm just so proud to live in a state that recognizes equal rights for all people. And to be the third state to do so is an added bonus! Hopefully other states will follow our example and gay rights will finally be recognized across the country. If Iowa can do it, surely every blue state can...

Old 04-03-2009, 10:53 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,787,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
As a rather reserved gay male living in a very socially conservative Northeastern state (no, that is not an oxymoron), seeing a relatively rural and moderate state like Iowa taking this bold step forward for civil equality really puts my mind at ease. Now when my partner and I are ready to finally cement our love for one another we can live in a great place like Dubuque or Iowa City and become active members in the community! I've always admired Iowa from afar, and now I have yet another reason to do so.

I wonder if those who oppose this decision will turn away the increased revenues (including sales tax revenues, hotel tax revenues, etc.) that will accompany the inevitable influx of thousands of same-sex couples into the state for their ceremonies? You have a beautiful state (although I wish there were more pictures of Dubuque on here), and now I know you truly have beautiful people as well! I wish people in Pennsylvania could wake up and smell the coffee! The loud-mouthed and liberal NYC transplants overrunning us couldn't come soon enough for my tastes! LOL!

To the most recent replier, like it or not more states are eventually going to follow suit, so if nothing else Iowa is just "ahead of the curve." My guess would be that the fourth state to legalize same-sex marriage will be Rhode Island (it's surrounded by MA and CT already), and the fifth will likely be California after a mountain of legal hurdles. New Jersey, which has now legalized same-sex civil unions, may be sixth, and New York would likely follow suit as seventh. The next Midwestern state to make this step would probably be Minnesota, as the relatively liberal and open-minded Twin Cities area dominates the rest of the state.
Iowa has always been ahead of the curve it seems:

One Iowa

Old 04-03-2009, 11:39 PM

858 posts, read 2,236,476 times
Job well done Iowa. It just shows that Iowans have a sense of humanity. What's up with California?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa