Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 02:45 PM

69 posts, read 236,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveTodayLez08 View Post
The majority of gays and lesbians could care less about whether or not the church will recognize their unions. It's all about the rights they will receive under the law.
Even churches these days do not marry all heterosexuals who come to them seeking marriage. I see no reason why that shouldn't apply to gays and lesbians as well.
The last place I'd want to get married is in a church.
There are plenty of denominations that will marry same-sex couples...or plenty of individual places of worship.

In any case...all my Iowan caterers: START YOUR ENGINES!! YOU HAVE PLENTY OF WEDDING CAKES TO DELIVER!!
If all they cared about was the rights they receive under the law, then why is there a fuss in California? In California, there is legally almost no difference between a civil union and marriage. The only real differences are that you must be 18 and live together.

Somehow, I think that two gays who would marry would live together anyway. So essentially, all they lost was the right to be recognized as a legal couple in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, New York and New Mexico. Gay marriage performed in another state is illegal in the other 45 states, and that's also why I don't think the original post that gays from Chicago, KC and Minneapolis will be flocking to Iowa is accurate, not yet, anyway. Unless they're going to move to Iowa, what would be the point? Minnesota, Missouri and Illinois don't have to recognize gay marriages performed in Iowa, and they won't.

I'm not buying this "gays only want equality" notion anymore. If that was the case, we'd just legalize civil unions in America and make almost everyone happy.

As for Iowa, I have a feeling that the big question now is whether Iowa's legislature puts an amendment on the ballot. If it does, I would be surprised if Iowa's citizens do not elect to ban same-sex marriage. This was not their choice, it was forced upon them by the state Supreme Court. I could be wrong, but I think if given the choice, Iowans would rather their state not recognize same-sex marriage.

Old 04-05-2009, 03:10 PM

1,744 posts, read 7,258,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iowegian View Post
In any case, hopefully more same-sex couples will relocate to Iowa! We would love to have you

Yeah, if this is a ploy to attract "gay immigration", I'm all for it. Politicians in Iowa (namely Vilsack) used to talk about how we needed refugees from the third world in order to stimulate our economy, enrich us culturally and "help us meet the needs of the 21st century". Well, who would really be able to set up shop here, create interesting businesses, stimulate the economy, likely be good neighbors and support/enrich the arts and culture in Iowa? The gays.

I can understand people not being too thrilled with the prospect of gay marriage in Iowa, but on issues of morality that do not directly affect me(abortion, death penalty, gay marriage, etc) the government is not my moral compass. Just because something is legal doesn't mean I have to do it and just because something is illegal doesn't mean that I have to think it's wrong. If I don't like gay marriage, I just won't get one myself....and believe me, I won't.

I do approve of homosexual marriage though. I've met several gay couples who had been together for years in solid, loving relationships and have had their status relagated to about the same as a 20 year old kid shacking up with his girlfriend...but a guy can go marry some slag he met at the bar last week and somehow that doesn't belittle the instution of marriage?

Old 04-05-2009, 04:07 PM

459 posts, read 2,227,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightHawk112005 View Post
Gay marriage performed in another state is illegal in the other 45 states, and that's also why I don't think the original post that gays from Chicago, KC and Minneapolis will be flocking to Iowa is accurate, not yet, anyway. Unless they're going to move to Iowa, what would be the point? Minnesota, Missouri and Illinois don't have to recognize gay marriages performed in Iowa, and they won't.
Are you certain of that? There is a 'full faith and credit" clause in our constitution which requires all states to honor any other states public acts and judgements. I realize there is 'DOMA" legislation (which clearly violates the constitution - but that is whole other debate), which allows some states to get around "full faith and credit" when it comes to same sex marriage. I do not know the DOMA wordings of Iowa's neighboring states well enough to know if they do indeed have DOMA language specifically denying the recognition of a same sex marriage from another state.

Old 04-05-2009, 07:26 PM

69 posts, read 236,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe1 View Post
Are you certain of that? There is a 'full faith and credit" clause in our constitution which requires all states to honor any other states public acts and judgements. I realize there is 'DOMA" legislation (which clearly violates the constitution - but that is whole other debate), which allows some states to get around "full faith and credit" when it comes to same sex marriage. I do not know the DOMA wordings of Iowa's neighboring states well enough to know if they do indeed have DOMA language specifically denying the recognition of a same sex marriage from another state.
I'm pretty certain. Only New York, Rhode Island, Massachusetts and New Mexico recognize a same-sex marriage performed in another state as valid. Even Connecticut, which allows same-sex marriage in its own borders, will not honor same-sex marriage performed in another state.

I know for a fact that Minnesota and Illinois both have laws that ban same-sex marriage in their state and render another state's legal same-sex marriage invalid. Missouri, South Dakota, Nebraska and Wisconsin, the four other states that border Iowa, all have those laws written into their constitutions.

A same-sex couple from Kansas City can go to Iowa and get married, but their marriage is invalid once they cross back into Missouri. So unless they want to move to Iowa, this doesn't do a thing for a gay couple from a bordering state. Sorry, but they're not going to come marry in Iowa and get a license that is no good in 90% of America, especially when their home state is part of that 90%. They might get same-sex couples from New Mexico, but that's it, unless these couples are misinformed and believe their marriage will stand in a state that bans it and doesn't have to recognize it.

Old 04-05-2009, 07:36 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,927,809 times
Thanks Iowa, I needed an excuse to open my birthday Moet! Congrats, keep up the good fight!

Old 04-05-2009, 07:42 PM

225 posts, read 1,092,306 times
Default easy answer to this

Quote:
If all they cared about was the rights they receive under the law, then why is there a fuss in California? In California, there is legally almost no difference between a civil union and marriage. The only real differences are that you must be 18 and live together.

Somehow, I think that two gays who would marry would live together anyway. So essentially, all they lost was the right to be recognized as a legal couple in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, New York and New Mexico. Gay marriage performed in another state is illegal in the other 45 states, and that's also why I don't think the original post that gays from Chicago, KC and Minneapolis will be flocking to Iowa is accurate, not yet, anyway. Unless they're going to move to Iowa, what would be the point? Minnesota, Missouri and Illinois don't have to recognize gay marriages performed in Iowa, and they won't.

I'm not buying this "gays only want equality" notion anymore. If that was the case, we'd just legalize civil unions in America and make almost everyone happy.

As for Iowa, I have a feeling that the big question now is whether Iowa's legislature puts an amendment on the ballot. If it does, I would be surprised if Iowa's citizens do not elect to ban same-sex marriage. This was not their choice, it was forced upon them by the state Supreme Court. I could be wrong, but I think if given the choice, Iowans would rather their state not recognize same-sex marriage.
The answer to your argument is very easy and has been proven so in the past time and time again. Separate is not equal. Sure civil unions may provide some of the same benefits as marriage. But the problem is some of the same benefits. If a man and woman can get married y can't a man and another man or a woman and a woman? It's not up to us to decide if it's right or wrong. All men are created equal.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:04 PM

7,534 posts, read 17,221,758 times
Quote:
Well, obviously, because we have tried separate but equal in this country and it HAS NEVER worked. It's an epic fail move. In many cases insurance companies are skirting this issue by saying they offer their services to married couples but NOT those in civil unions. This has happened in New Jersey and was part of the testimony presented to the legislature.

Quote:
Somehow, I think that two gays who would marry would live together anyway.
Of course we do, just like straight people would, too, if they couldn't get married.

Quote:
Trust me, if you asked GLB people if we would be happy with everyone having civil unions, essentially leaving "marriage" to religious institutions, the majority of us would be THRILLED. We don't want marriage in a religious sense (at least, most of us), we want the same thing that is offered to everyone else, whatever that may be. Unfortunately, it's marriage, so that's what we want.

But that hasn't happened, and in case you haven't noticed, GLBTQ are very much in the minority in this country (enough so to have some of our rights voted on and stripped away in many states constitutions), so we can't force a vote on the issue. Um, yes, we "only want equality" - what the hell else would we want? Trust me, I'm not out to subvert you, or your institutions. I could honestly care less.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:51 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,377,437 times
I'm living in Australia with my American partner and we think Iowa is bloody brilliant!
Good on ya!

Old 04-05-2009, 08:55 PM

225 posts, read 1,092,306 times
Jaymax
Thats awesome i wanna move to australia

Old 04-05-2009, 09:33 PM

688 posts, read 1,246,807 times
I AM SO PROUD TO SAY I AM FROM IOWA! Alto I am now living in the very backwards state of New York. Go figure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa