Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 07:16 PM

355 posts, read 447,206 times

Advertisements

I'm opposed to homosexual marriages. More so I'm dead-set against judges that legislate from the bench!

Is this really acceptable, Iowans? Come on, you know the only way this will ever hold up is if this is put on a ballot and the majority vote yes. That will never happen. Even liberal California voted in favor of banning homosexual marriages last election. Arizona was the only state where voters ever rejected a same-sex marriage ban and that was only because of a technicality in the wording.

Every other state that was able to get the same-sex marriage ban on the ballot passed it by a large majority, and for very good reason. Marriage is only good if it's a union between a man and a woman and that's how it's been for centuries. Put this same-sex marriage thing to a vote in Iowa and it'll be wiped out faster than Obama will in 2012! The good Iowans with traditional family values won't allow this abomination to stay legal for very long.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:48 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,130,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yikesamillion View Post
I'm opposed to homosexual marriages. More so I'm dead-set against judges that legislate from the bench!

Is this really acceptable, Iowans? Come on, you know the only way this will ever hold up is if this is put on a ballot and the majority vote yes. That will never happen. Even liberal California voted in favor of banning homosexual marriages last election. Arizona was the only state where voters ever rejected a same-sex marriage ban and that was only because of a technicality in the wording.

Every other state that was able to get the same-sex marriage ban on the ballot passed it by a large majority, and for very good reason. Marriage is only good if it's a union between a man and a woman and that's how it's been for centuries. Put this same-sex marriage thing to a vote in Iowa and it'll be wiped out faster than Obama will in 2012! The good Iowans with traditional family values won't allow this abomination to stay legal for very long.
Good post, a marriage is between a man and a woman, no matter what some liberal judge may think. Most Iowans believe in God and many are very religious people. Many still hold the words in the bible at face value. Too many religious people pick and choose what they want to believe out of the good book. If you believe, then you know there is a going to be a judgement day, even for supreme court justices. I do not think gay marriage would pass here if put up for a vote. I wish more religious people would speak out against it the way they did when they shot down the death penalty.

For me, its the word "marriage" that bothers me, civil union has the same legal meaning, keep it at that. Im against anyone that commits a crime against gays just because they are gay, let me be clear about that. I probably would not mind swapping out a scum-bag neighbor for a quiet gay couple, as I do not have any children.

I do not think gay people should have or adopt children, as it goes against thier life choice rejection of the opposite sex (and reproduction). A kid is not going to have a happy childhood when the other kids at school find out your parents are gay. I do not think being openly gay is proper if you are to be a role model for children, such as a teacher, coach, boy scout leader, baby sitter, ect.

I do not want to see Iowa become another San Francisco, this is not California. If were going to go in that direction, the state liberals should of worked on the marijuana laws first before they fooled around with god. Hope we don't have more floods, drought, locusts, famine or disease coming down on our state for what they did. I don't think California has been having the best of luck for a long time now.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:04 PM

586 posts, read 2,185,417 times
God must've punished Iowa a little early last summer in preparation for this decision months later.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:35 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,822,981 times
I live in the state that pioneered gay marriage; Massachusetts. It seems nationally we are viewed as the bleeding liberal, but lets not forget where Mitt Romney came from. Also in 2004 when gay marriage became legal here opponents petitioned for a ballot to put the issue to a vote. They got the 100,000 signatures required but fortunately the current governor and the legislature were able to put a roadblock on it. If gay marriage were to be put on a voters ballot in ANY state, surely it would not pass as clearly stated in California with proposition 8. That being said if civil rights issues regarding race were voted on in the 60's and 70's they would have had an unfortunate outcome then as well. Some people may not like the decisions of supreme court justices deciding on these issues, but that seems to be what it takes. In Vermont the state house and senate passed gay marriage last week yet the Republican governor promises to veto it, the law being passed lies in the hands of one man in Vermont.

Honestly I never thought much about Iowa. I veiwed it as just another heartland state. I've been to Missouri before so I know the character of the people in the heartland is quite nice. No pretentiosness, just friendly and seemingly honest hardworking folk. Iowa first got my attention when Obama won the caucuses in early 2008 which no doubt set the tone for his succesful presidential campaign. I thought, wow they are more progressive than I thought. Gay marriage in Massachusetts and Connecticut seemed almost predictable in those seemingly deep Blue states. I'm pleasantly surprised with the Iowa supreme court decision and I think it sends a message to the rest of the country that many other states can do just the same.

Clearly there are opponents to gay marriage just as they strongly voiced their opinions here in Massachusetts back in 2004. Well the sky hasn't fallen here in Mass, nor has it had any impact on heterosexual marriage by any stretch of the imagination and we are all doing just fine here with legal gay marriage. If you don't believe in gay marriage then don't get one, but don' impose on my civil rights. I'm very proud of Iowa and I view the state and it's people very positively given some of the supportive posts made on this blog. Way to go Iowa!

Old 04-06-2009, 09:47 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,689,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
Good post, a marriage is between a man and a woman, no matter what some liberal judge may think. Most Iowans believe in God and many are very religious people. Many still hold the words in the bible at face value. Too many religious people pick and choose what they want to believe out of the good book. If you believe, then you know there is a going to be a judgement day, even for supreme court justices. I do not think gay marriage would pass here if put up for a vote. I wish more religious people would speak out against it the way they did when they shot down the death penalty.

For me, its the word "marriage" that bothers me, civil union has the same legal meaning, keep it at that. Im against anyone that commits a crime against gays just because they are gay, let me be clear about that. I probably would not mind swapping out a scum-bag neighbor for a quiet gay couple, as I do not have any children.

I do not think gay people should have or adopt children, as it goes against thier life choice rejection of the opposite sex (and reproduction). A kid is not going to have a happy childhood when the other kids at school find out your parents are gay. I do not think being openly gay is proper if you are to be a role model for children, such as a teacher, coach, boy scout leader, baby sitter, ect.

I do not want to see Iowa become another San Francisco, this is not California. If were going to go in that direction, the state liberals should of worked on the marijuana laws first before they fooled around with god. Hope we don't have more floods, drought, locusts, famine or disease coming down on our state for what they did. I don't think California has been having the best of luck for a long time now.
You better also keep your kids away from people who have autism, because you wouldn't want them to become autistic after all. And you realize being gay isn't exactly a choice for people right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
Many still hold the words in the bible at face value. Too many religious people pick and choose what they want to believe out of the good book. If you believe, then you know there is a going to be a judgement day, even for supreme court justices.
I do to, except I believe the 2nd half and the Bible called the New Testament more than the Old. Do you know what this magical New Testament says?

Old 04-06-2009, 09:51 PM

DmRyan, Yes, and notice he hit the east part of the state pretty hard last summer, leaving the conservative western part with little damage.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:06 PM

Ha, that's hilarious mofford. Can't wait to see what the all powerful, all forgiving lord does to San Francisco, Boston, Paris and all other bastions of heathens across this giant world. What crime against Christianity did those suffering in North Dakota face, or was that just a typical flood caused by other forces of nature?

Damn hypocrites.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:19 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,689,318 times
No response, Mofford? If you know so much of the will of God please do tell me your "godly" response to my post. We are not meant to know God, he is meant to know us and love us for who we are.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:27 PM

It's sad that the positive aspects of Christianity (or any organized religion), the fulfillment that it can have in helping to make people stronger, better humans, the good that it does in helping those less fortunate can get twisted in so many ways.

It gets tainted by those that think that illegal immigrants, muslims, liberals and even homosexuals won't be 'saved' just because...

What happened to spreading the message of acceptance and good will to all of mankind? Why the need for so many divisive exclusions?

Old 04-06-2009, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
You better also keep your kids away from people who have autism, because you wouldn't want them to become autistic after all. And you realize being gay isn't exactly a choice for people right?

I do to, except I believe the 2nd half and the Bible called the New Testament more than the Old. Do you know what this magical New Testament says?
Kids imitate from what they see and who they interact with. However, a kid that is not autistic cannot become autistic but could imitate autistic behavior for short periods I suppose. I think the comparison your making strikes out.

The new testament builds upon the old testament, it does not throw everything in the old out of the window. Some things were reformed in the new testiment but sodomy was not one of those things, let alone the idea of gays getting married.

This thread says "Iowans thoughts on gay marriage" Hope were not getting every lefty in the USA in this one, plenty of them here in Iowa to argue their points. Go back over to the congratulations thread and pee all over yourselves there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa