U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 04:18 PM

7 posts, read 23,149 times

Advertisements

My family will be relocating to the quad cities this summer. My son now attends an Expeditionary Learning school and we love it. I can't seem to find any schools using progressive teaching methods in the area. Does anyone have any information? I'm interested in elementary schools. Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 04:21 PM

559 posts, read 1,640,671 times
what is progressive teaching methods?

Old 04-10-2009, 05:30 PM

393 posts, read 1,102,836 times
Send him to public school; it'll build character.

Pleasant Valley schools > other Bettendorf schools > all others

Also try John Glenn Elementary School, dunno the district

Last edited by Intergalactic; 04-10-2009 at 05:55 PM..

Old 04-11-2009, 08:29 AM

Default Progressive teaching methods

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromdust View Post
what is progressive teaching methods?
I've been trying to come up with a definition that doesn't use all those trendy catch phrases. The best I can do is "hands-on learning" as opposed to "book learning." Thank you!

Old 04-17-2009, 11:35 PM

13 posts, read 40,535 times
I can tell you as a school psychologist, Iowa leads the nation in its model. I'm relocating there from the supposed "trendy" west coast because we're about 10 yrs behind and struggling as a state to even formalize the procedures Iowa has had in place for over a decade.

It may not be Montessori or Waldorf, but in the long run, those don't necessarily measure up with a strong curriculum and interventions based approach. Best of luck!

Old 07-08-2009, 09:44 PM

FYI, I found a great school in Rock Island. It's the Rock Island Math and Science Center. This fall it will be in the building Horace Mann was in and next year will be in a brand new building. They will use hands-on teaching methods and a lot of work in groups and outdoors. A great thing for the children of the Quad Cities! New Rock Island school nearly ready for its students

Old 11-08-2009, 05:48 AM

1 posts, read 4,038 times
Hi Fromtns,

We are moving to the QC in June, 2010. I wonder how your transition went -- what did you think of the options for schools? Any tips to help us get our feet on the ground?

Thanks!

Old 01-06-2010, 03:07 PM

Sorry it took so long to respond, I just read this.
We ended up in Rock Island against what most people suggested. It's the only place in the area that I've found that's doing innovative things with their schools. There is a liberal arts magnet school and a math and science magnet school. Everything else in the area seemed pretty cookie cutter. We really like the vast range of people and things here too. Let me know if you need any more info. I now know how hard it is to relocate!

Old 01-10-2010, 09:21 PM

14 posts, read 53,984 times
We just left the Quad Cities and relocated to Orlando. When we moved to Iowa 3 yrs ago, we had short term housing in Rock Island. I HATED it. The school was awful. The teachers did not have control over the children. The principal tried his hardest, but it was just not a good experience overall. We stayed 6 weeks until we bought a home on the Iowa side.

I HIGHLY recommend Pleasant Valley Schools. They are the best in that area. We were in the Davenport Schools for a while, but PVS you cannot beat! I also highly recommend Our Savior Lutheran Preschool if you need a preschool. My now Kindergartener went there for 2 yrs. They pulled her out of her shell and she is excelling.

Good luck! I miss Iowa so much - even though I was raised in FL. Its been 7 months and my kids still ask to move back there.

Old 06-22-2013, 08:21 PM

2 posts, read 2,573 times
The quad cities is NOT progressive. People around here love their Walmart and their SUVs. It's a very right wing place to be. The schools push football over anything of substance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa