Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 08:57 PM

410 posts, read 1,521,683 times

Advertisements

I have travelled all through the United States by Greyhound and fell in love with Iowa and want to move my son there but I don't know enough about the state to pick a town. I hope I don't offend anyone with the following lists but I have the top reasons I want out of Utah (my current home) and what I am looking for in my new town.

Out of Utah:
1. Too many "Must speak Spanish to apply" companies
2. My son's school only has 120 English speaking kids in the whole school and is a dual-immersion school (half the classes are in Spanish and half are in English)
3. Too much religious involvement (they tore down the downtown malls and will be spending the next 4 years rebuilding it)
4. Home prices are too high ($180,000+ for the gang side of town)
5. Everything is too high priced and very low wages
and the list goes on and on including crime, drugs, etc

New Town:
1. Must have city parks that people can actually use
2. Good schools (my son is only 5 but is doing 3rd grade work in some subjects)
3. Jobs available (I have a degree in economics and 12 years retail experience but don't care what I do)
4. Prefer small population (around 50,000 or less)
5. Housing prices must be reasonable
6. My son wants a soccer team that he could play on and music classes in the school (they removed them in his school)
7. My son wants a planetarium or somewhere he can put his telescope

I am really looking to take a step back and show him what he is missing right now. I have about $5,000 to move on but could get a bit more if needed. I know I can't buy a house with that but if it is at least in my range in a few years I would love it. I have looked into Spencer (all I heard about it was references to Spirit Lake), Ames and Iowa City. Nothing has really jumped out yet.

Any advice or places to look more into? I really don't want to go to Des Moines if I don't have to. Too much like where I am at right now from what I have heard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 09:27 PM

4,861 posts, read 6,927,783 times
My advice is simple. Iowa is loaded with safe, quiet, progressive little towns that are too numerous to mention. Use the City-Data individual evaluation information to find a town that at least matches your ideals. Be ESPECIALLY carefull of packing house or manufacturing towns where english is the second language. Good examples of such would be Ottumwa, Storm Lake, Perry, West Liberty, Postville,and Marshalltown. These towns will only be getting worse. This is reality and not some feel good, diversity is wonderful cause I'm a liberal living in the suburbs and it makes me feel good to push for it, type of thing.

Yea, it sounds rascist, but according to your post, you've already seen enough.

Some towns have a different ethnic or religious majority that you may or may not want to be a part of. I would also check this out. Once again, reality.

There are a lot of small towns that also have a small college within adding a new dimension (ie, Orange City, Dubuque, Mt. Vernon) that you might like.

Iowa is one of the best places anywhere to bring up a family. With a little homework, I guarentee you'll be happy with the move.

Last edited by jmgg; 05-11-2009 at 09:38 PM..

Old 05-11-2009, 09:42 PM

267 posts, read 1,231,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by operaphantom2003 View Post
I am really looking to take a step back and show him what he is missing right now. I have about $5,000 to move on but could get a bit more if needed. I know I can't buy a house with that but if it is at least in my range in a few years I would love it. I have looked into Spencer (all I heard about it was references to Spirit Lake), Ames and Iowa City. Nothing has really jumped out yet.

Any advice or places to look more into? I really don't want to go to Des Moines if I don't have to. Too much like where I am at right now from what I have heard.
I actually don't think Des Moines would be much like your description of Utah at all. But it would be much larger than 50,000 and so it might not fit you very well. There aren't too many places in Iowa like what you have described, at least as far as expenses, religion, and gang activity goes.

When I saw small to mid-sized town with good schools, I thought of Ames and Iowa City first, especially Ames because it's smaller and I think it's a little cheaper too. But if neither of those are what you are looking for, I'd recommend looking into Dubuque. If you want to go even smaller, I like jmgg's suggestions of small towns with colleges, like Mt. Vernon or Grinnell.

Old 05-14-2009, 10:23 AM

2,652 posts, read 8,582,247 times
I think you made a great choice in Iowa. Utah is very beautiful, but from what I've heard it can seem rather oppresive religiously.

From what I've read from your post, the Des Moines area might actually be perfect for you. It is nothing like what you've described Utah as being, especially the suburbs. Let me go down the list:

1. In the DSM metro, there are spanish speakers, but you rarely have issues with language barriers, especially in the burbs.
2. The schools are good. I don't think any schools have the dual immersion stuff you spoke of.
3. Religion is not oppresive in Iowa. If you move to say, Pleasant Hill (where my parents live), your neighbors won't shun you if you don't go to church. The church doesn't have a huge impact on local politics, like in Utah.
4. $180K will get you a newer house in one of the nicest areas. You can buy a house in a safe, middle class area for $120-$130K. Maybe even cheaper. The suburbs are all very nice, affordable, and in good school districts.
5. Things are probably cheaper in Iowa. Not sure about jobs. My buddy makes $60K, and what I'm going to school for starts off at a pretty decent wage in Iowa.

Even in the worst areas of Des Moines, crime isn't that bad. Especially serious crime. The east side of Des Moines is where I spent most of my years. The east side is an ordinary blue collar, working class area. Some better than others. Many people misunderstand the east side. Probably people that never spent a lot of time there.

In suburbs like Altoona, Pleasant Hill, Urbandale, you can live in your own little enclave and never have to leave the safety of the burbs. In P. Hill, kids are playing all over, there is no crime, traffic, drugs, etc. It's a quick jolt into the city, if you need a night out.

You honestly should look at the Des Moines area a little closer. The negative info you've heard is not justified. Shoot I'm moving back this winter, can't wait.

Old 05-14-2009, 10:43 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,123,478 times
How about Dubuque? It's a smaller city (65,000 or so) and is very beautiful. It is a city with almost everything you need, but has a small town feel. A lot less congestion and headache than Des Moines. Housing is also cheaper.

Old 05-19-2009, 04:28 PM

5 posts, read 16,777 times
Des Moines or North Liberty/Iowa City! The most to do and diversity!!!! Dubuque stinks...sorry!

Old 05-19-2009, 09:47 PM

4,149 posts, read 3,905,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwipp View Post
Des Moines or North Liberty/Iowa City! The most to do and diversity!!!! Dubuque stinks...sorry!
I live in Dubuque and agree with Des Moines or Iowa City as destinations. You would be disappointed in Dubuque after a while.

Jasper

Old 05-20-2009, 01:01 AM

2,652 posts, read 8,582,247 times
It's funny, you always see these posts appear, leave for a couple months than reappear, with no sign of the OP...

Old 06-23-2009, 04:00 PM

85 posts, read 317,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by operaphantom2003 View Post
I have travelled all through the United States by Greyhound and fell in love with Iowa and want to move my son there but I don't know enough about the state to pick a town. I hope I don't offend anyone with the following lists but I have the top reasons I want out of Utah (my current home) and what I am looking for in my new town.

Out of Utah:
1. Too many "Must speak Spanish to apply" companies
2. My son's school only has 120 English speaking kids in the whole school and is a dual-immersion school (half the classes are in Spanish and half are in English)
3. Too much religious involvement (they tore down the downtown malls and will be spending the next 4 years rebuilding it)
4. Home prices are too high ($180,000+ for the gang side of town)
5. Everything is too high priced and very low wages
and the list goes on and on including crime, drugs, etc

New Town:
1. Must have city parks that people can actually use
2. Good schools (my son is only 5 but is doing 3rd grade work in some subjects)
3. Jobs available (I have a degree in economics and 12 years retail experience but don't care what I do)
4. Prefer small population (around 50,000 or less)
5. Housing prices must be reasonable
6. My son wants a soccer team that he could play on and music classes in the school (they removed them in his school)
7. My son wants a planetarium or somewhere he can put his telescope

Alot of people here work in a city, and live in a smaller town. Des Moines, Cedar Rapids, Iowa City, and the Quad Cities all have a great deal of jobs, I see tons of openings for your field in my area all the time(IC and Cedar Rapids area). Housing prices are fairly reasonable here, you will see 180000 dollar houses of course, but you will also see the vast majority of homes are well under that and quite nice, especially if you live somewhere smaller. Also, quite a few people here may be willing to "sell on contract, which may fit your budget a little better. It's entirely possible to spend 70k, maybe even less and get a comfy house. Iowa City and Cedar Rapids also made lists for some of the best schools in the country. I do think Iowa City has a planetarium, though I am not sure about the others. Soccer is the only thing I don't know for sure about. I might recommend otherwise the smaller towns in the area around Iowa City such as Riverside or Hills, but I don't know about the soccer issue and whether you would be able to commute for work.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:35 PM

20 posts, read 94,201 times
Iowa City Kickers for the youngsters (up through 8th grade I think). High schools have soccer teams after that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa