Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 03:52 AM

6 posts, read 34,238 times

Advertisements

I've been browsing around on this site and reading about what people think of Dubuque. If any of you think that crime is a real problem you can just listen to the police scanner for a few hours at night. You can see while crime is no where near as bad as some areas, there is some, but most of the disturbances and problems are contained to a few areas downtown.

www.dubuquepolicescanner.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 03:17 PM

4,149 posts, read 3,903,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamj812 View Post
I've been browsing around on this site and reading about what people think of Dubuque. If any of you think that crime is a real problem you can just listen to the police scanner for a few hours at night. You can see while crime is no where near as bad as some areas, there is some, but most of the disturbances and problems are contained to a few areas downtown.

www.dubuquepolicescanner.com
Dubuque does have a crime problem that city is doing it's best to cover up. Dubuque wants squeaky clean image and doesn't want to scare away any potential tourists.

Jasper

Old 09-28-2009, 11:11 PM

I'm not quite sure where Robert is from, but he obviously doesn't know much about Dubuque, or me for that matter. lol

Let's see, stabbings, assaults, muggings, large brawls (near the 19th street area especially). I don't see anything like that up in the Grandview area. I'm not saying there's no crime in the uptown area. The crime tends to be much more frequent and violent in the downtown area.

Old 10-07-2009, 04:18 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,985,404 times
werent they trying to recruit minorities to the city some yrs ago? has crime increased since that time? i wouldnt think a town of 60k would have that much of crime problem. listening to the police scanner is a good way to monitor how much crime there is in a city. another tool that could be used when thinking of relocating to a new location. thanks for the link.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
werent they trying to recruit minorities to the city some yrs ago? has crime increased since that time? i wouldnt think a town of 60k would have that much of crime problem. listening to the police scanner is a good way to monitor how much crime there is in a city. another tool that could be used when thinking of relocating to a new location. thanks for the link.
In the eighties, Dubuque wanted racial integration and went out and recruited minorities to come to Dubuque and provided them housing and kind of sort of tried to help them find a job.

Later it was discovered the motive behind it all was the city was not getting much state funding due to lack of minorities. the Mayor and CEO of a bank were in cohoots.

Dubuque has never been the same since.

Jasper

Old 10-12-2009, 02:32 PM

84 posts, read 295,482 times
I don't know many who are convinced Dubuque, Iowa has a serious crime problem... Yes we've all heard about how "racist" the place has been in the past. Honestly it's nothing big and I think nothing serious has happened since then so there is just a lack of things to talk about ... why not just exaggerate the past?

Old 10-28-2009, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persimmony View Post
I don't know many who are convinced Dubuque, Iowa has a serious crime problem... Yes we've all heard about how "racist" the place has been in the past. Honestly it's nothing big and I think nothing serious has happened since then so there is just a lack of things to talk about ... why not just exaggerate the past?
There must be more than you think that are convinced it is a problem. The city just created a new crime prevention task force to deal with all the problems.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamj812 View Post
There must be more than you think that are convinced it is a problem. The city just created a new crime prevention task force to deal with all the problems.
Don't put much stock in the crime prevention task force. I am betting some city council members brother in law needed a make believe job.

Jasper

Old 10-29-2009, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
Don't put much stock in the crime prevention task force. I am betting some city council members brother in law needed a make believe job.
I'll agree with you on that, but it does show that there must be a decent number of people concerned and the council is interested in taking a look in order for it to be organized. Of course, it is also election time. Just by looking at the list of who is involved it should be interesting their ideas. I bet by the time they are done coming up with a list, their suggestions trimmed down so much that they do nothing in fear of offending someone or some group and the final consensus will be Dubuque doesn't have a crime problem.

I think if the housing and rental laws are adjusted and enforced like many would like them to be, everything would solve itself over a year or two.

Old 11-09-2009, 07:36 AM

8 posts, read 30,445 times
crime is much worse then the 80`s as far as things that weren`t commonplace such as , muggings and drugs are really a problem. But the main reason for the diversity is federal grants. That`s why Dubuque leads the league in sec-8 housing. The fed grants will somehow bring a 4 lane hiway here. I myself don`t worry to much about crime, just put up with whatever the city wants. It doesn`t do any good to do otherwise. People in Dubuque don`t vote so once you get in power you can`t get voted out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa