Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 04:49 AM

116 posts, read 186,099 times

Advertisements

Recent college grad here. A couple of job prospects have popped up for me in SoCal, and now I'm looking at a position in Davenport.

Based on surface-level data, cost of living seems very reasonable and the area appears quite friendly. My question is, are there affordable and serviceable apartments in the area that wouldn't wear out a college grad's wallet? I would prefer not to have to commute far.

I'm from a fairly rural part of the PNW but crave a respectable city/urban vibe. How can I expect my transition be if I land the job and move in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2014, 06:40 AM

415 posts, read 1,738,861 times
As other people are surely going to begin posting, the Quad Cities isn't Portland, Seattle, or LA. We're not that size of a metro, with all of the good/bad differences that go along with that.

That said, the Quad Cities have a lot of good stuff going for them, and especially coming from a rural area, have a bit of an urban although midsize, city feel. There's a festival of some sort going on basically every weekend during the summer, and there's a good mix of activities available. I would argue that we've got a lot of advantages over other metro areas our size. There's also pretty easy access to truly urban Chicago, which will soon be even easier with the coming Amtrak line.

Rents aren't overly cheap, but a lot of hip new apartments are being built/renovated downtown, and its possible the coming influx will cause downtown rents to drop a little bit. The stuff available downtown now is awesome, but generally pricey unless you make under $25k a year and qualify for the low/moderate income units. For example, in the new Democrat Lofts (named after the former newspaper building they're in, not limited by affilation!) there is a smallish Efficiency unit available for $599, but the next ones available above that are over $1000 a month. But they're pretty amazing places to live..

Old 10-03-2014, 07:10 PM

459 posts, read 474,888 times
I heard they doing lofts downtown. Might want to consider that. I think a lot of people are doing the lofts downtown now days.

Old 10-04-2014, 11:44 AM

116 posts, read 186,099 times
That mid-sized feel actually might be closer to what I'd thrive in at this point in my life/career, so that's perfect.

If I were to end up living in one of the other Quad Cities, what would the commute to Davenport be like? Are there moderately heavy traffic areas/hours to avoid when possible, and how are gas prices over there?

Also, a major concern of mine when relocating is climate. I'm a lifelong eastern Washingtonian and have never been to the Midwest. I get the impression that winters are harsh and summers are super humid. Anything else to know on that front?

Old 10-04-2014, 08:52 PM

Winters, it all depends as some years it's easy and other years winter never ends and it is long, hard, cold and snowy. Traffic is hit and miss. Summer it can be humid but the last couple summers have been cool. Never know when something is going to be backed up. A lot of times I see the I-74 bridge connecting to Iowa and Illinois backed up. When it is not snowing and cold they are doing construction. I would definitely say the weather here for the most part is cloudy and cool or cold. On a positive note the airport is easy to get to usually with not a long wait typically at the QCA airport. Gas prices are fairly decent. The commute is normally decent as traffic is moving; however, once summer comes that all can change depending on what they close down to work on or narrow down to one lane. Seems like summer they always have a ton of roads they are working on.

Old 10-04-2014, 09:04 PM

389 posts, read 671,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty211 View Post
That mid-sized feel actually might be closer to what I'd thrive in at this point in my life/career, so that's perfect.
It depends on what you actually define as mid-sized.

The Quad Cities may be mid-sized on paper, but the vibe here is not what I'd call mid-sized at all. It's more of a Burlington, IA on steroids. Most people I've met who moved here from other mid-sized towns are usually looking to leave after their first year. It doesn't really offer much of anything.

Old 10-04-2014, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipkl07 View Post
On a positive note the airport is easy to get to usually with not a long wait typically at the QCA airport.
When you only have 8 flights per day on the tiniest planes available, you're typically not going to see long lines even if every flight is booked to 100% of capacity. The Quad City airport has been leaking passengers to other airports with better service for a couple years now.

Old 10-05-2014, 07:25 PM

Yeah, I have seen the planes coming and going out of that airport and they are definitely small for the most part. lol

Old 10-05-2014, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipkl07 View Post
Yeah, I have seen the planes coming and going out of that airport and they are definitely small for the most part. lol
The days of 35-50 seater regional jets are numbered. Airlines just can't make money flying those things like they used to, and this continuing trend is going to hurt the Quad City Airport even more. By the year 2020, I bet there's only a small handful of daily flights operating out of the market. In the late 1980s, QC's airport had 50 flights per day, including some on mainline DC-9s, 737s, and 727s. Those days are gone.

Meanwhile, Cedar Rapids' airport seems to be holding its own and even adding some service. Between CR and the Chicago airports proximity, I don't see much good happening for the Quad City airport. That's going to make attracting better jobs difficult, too. Companies want an airport where a decent level of airline service already exists.

Old 10-05-2014, 08:17 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,607,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funksoulbro View Post
It depends on what you actually define as mid-sized.

The Quad Cities may be mid-sized on paper, but the vibe here is not what I'd call mid-sized at all. It's more of a Burlington, IA on steroids. Most people I've met who moved here from other mid-sized towns are usually looking to leave after their first year. It doesn't really offer much of anything.

You once said you'd only 'been thru the QCA once or twice on business'.

It was always obvious that you lived there. Why would anyone, who had only passed thru once or twice, care about bashing a place as much as you do?

All those exaggerations to the point of humor and you were lying the whole time. lol. Turd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa