U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2009, 08:32 PM

6,091 posts, read 10,277,713 times

Advertisements

Hello. Currently I live in Kansas City and I am looking for a good place to hike on unpaved trails within a 3 hour drive of Kansas City. I would rather hike in Iowa than Missouri because the heat and humidity won't be quite as bad. I'd like to find a place that offers peace and solitude and few if any other hikers. Also, I'd like to avoid park fees if possible.

Can anyone recommend any trails in any parks within a 3 hour drive of KC that meet these criteria?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2009, 06:29 AM

639 posts, read 933,666 times
My best suggestion would be the Loess Hills State Forest in western Iowa. It's very close to I-29 and a bit north of Council Bluffs. According to Mapquest, it's a bit further than 3 hours from Kansas City, but still less than 4 hours. I think it really fits what you're looking for.

Here are a couple links:

Loess Hills State Forest
Loess Hills State Forest

P.S. I'm not sure about park fees though, sorry.

Last edited by Stevie; 06-20-2009 at 06:46 AM..

Old 06-20-2009, 08:04 AM

Thanks for the links Stevie. I can probably get there in about 3 and a quarter hours. I think that is acceptable. I'll call the number listed to see if there are any fees for hiking or parking.

Old 06-20-2009, 08:40 AM

639 posts, read 933,666 times
You're welcome!

Actually, Mapquest says it's 3 hours and 45 minutes from KC to Pisgah, IA. The reason I chose Pisgah is because it's right in that area of the state forest. It would be 30 more minutes than 3 and a quarter hours, but you'll have full interstate access for almost the entire trip at least.

Here's the calculation and directions:

Driving Directions from Kansas City, MO to Pisgah, IA

Old 06-23-2009, 02:47 PM

4,822 posts, read 7,110,126 times
with the heat index, it's over 100 today. can't imagine missouri is any worse.

Old 06-25-2009, 05:49 AM

Yeah, I've been checking the weather in some areas of Iowa along with here in KC and right now the difference in the Heat Index is minimal at best. The Heat Index in the KC area has been around 107 to 110 the last few days. I'll wait until the heat breaks before taking the trek to Iowa to hike.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:39 AM

2,716 posts, read 6,634,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Yeah, I've been checking the weather in some areas of Iowa along with here in KC and right now the difference in the Heat Index is minimal at best. The Heat Index in the KC area has been around 107 to 110 the last few days. I'll wait until the heat breaks before taking the trek to Iowa to hike.
I would definitely check out Waubonsie(spelling?) State Park in Iowa. It has a lookout where you can actually see parts in Missouri, Nebraska, Iowa, and I'm not sure about Kansas.

It's in between Hamburg and Sidney, IA right off I-29. Plenty of campgrouds also if you plan to camp.

IA DNR: State Parks,Waubonsie State Park

Old 06-25-2009, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerflipper View Post
I would definitely check out Waubonsie(spelling?) State Park in Iowa. It has a lookout where you can actually see parts in Missouri, Nebraska, Iowa, and I'm not sure about Kansas.

It's in between Hamburg and Sidney, IA right off I-29. Plenty of campgrouds also if you plan to camp.

IA DNR: State Parks,Waubonsie State Park
This looks every bit as good as the park that Stevie mentioned. I will look into this as well.

I don't have my camping gear with me right now because it is in storage with most of my personal possessions i.e. furniture a good 300 miles from here. If I decide to do an overnight I'll stay in a local motel.

It looks like there are far better hiking opportunities within spitting distance of Omaha than Kansas City. Wish I had known that when I lived there.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:29 AM

2,716 posts, read 6,634,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
This looks every bit as good as the park that Stevie mentioned. I will look into this as well.

I don't have my camping gear with me right now because it is in storage with most of my personal possessions i.e. furniture a good 300 miles from here. If I decide to do an overnight I'll stay in a local motel.

It looks like there are far better hiking opportunities within spitting distance of Omaha than Kansas City. Wish I had known that when I lived there.
Yeah, there are some really nice trails at Waubonsie and I assume the park Stevie mentioned as well. Within 5 minutes from Waubonsie is the I29 exit where there are new truckstops with restaurants and hotels if you dont plan on camping. fyi

Old 06-26-2009, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerflipper View Post
Yeah, there are some really nice trails at Waubonsie and I assume the park Stevie mentioned as well. Within 5 minutes from Waubonsie is the I29 exit where there are new truckstops with restaurants and hotels if you dont plan on camping. fyi
Excellent. Thanks for the lead. After finding these places on a map I will definitely do an overnight when I go to Pisgah and may do a day trip to Waubonsie because it is only a two hour or so drive from KC. But if I wind up wiped out after hiking for several miles I'll probably do an overnight near Waubonsie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa