U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-28-2009, 03:48 PM
 
Location: Detroit, MI
37 posts, read 133,127 times
Reputation: 18

Advertisements

I was born in Iowa and moved to Michigan at age 6. Now that I have kids I want to move back home to Iowa. I'm an african american single mother with two young kids and 10 years exp. in retail. Any advice on apartments, day care and jobs? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Looking to move Spring/ Summer of 2010.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-28-2009, 05:14 PM
 
4,778 posts, read 6,504,387 times
Reputation: 6129
Davenport is less expensive, Iowa City is more happening. I'd raise a family in either. IC prob'ly has more jobs, Davenport prob'ly has cheaper daycare.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2009, 05:21 PM
 
Location: Detroit, MI
37 posts, read 133,127 times
Reputation: 18
Thanks for responding! How far is Iowa City from Davenport? I'm from Detroit so I need alittle "happening" once in a while.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2009, 05:44 PM
 
Location: Davenport, Iowa
413 posts, read 1,586,493 times
Reputation: 522
Iowa City is more of a college town, with the stuff that comes with it. The economy is great, there's lots of culture, but its somewhat oriented towards college kids.

Davenport has a good economy compared to most places, there's still a lot to do, but its not a college town.

In my opinion, they're two of the best cities in Iowa, and either should be ok. I think the Quad Cities, which include Davenport, have a lot of amenities and events for their size. I'd say there's more of a variety of things to do here than Iowa City. As far as daycare, I can't help ya. No kids yet.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2009, 10:04 PM
 
Location: Coralville/Ames, IA
267 posts, read 1,136,759 times
Reputation: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by aw48203 View Post
Thanks for responding! How far is Iowa City from Davenport? I'm from Detroit so I need alittle "happening" once in a while.
It is about an hour from downtown Davenport to downtown Iowa City.

I live in the Iowa City area and I love it, there are plenty of things to do around here and I think it is a beautiful area. Schools are great, and it is overall extremely safe. I've never lived in Davenport so I'll leave that to QCI, but I don't think either would be a bad choice, it just depends what type of place you are looking for. You might want to consider a visit before you choose.

I think there would be plenty of opportunities for retail in either place. Davenport has plenty of large retail stores (with many more in the surrounding Quad Cities area) and Coralville (which is the largest IC suburb) is home to Iowa's second-largest mall, and is constantly building more retail stores around it.

Apartments shouldn't be hard to find in either area. If you are looking in IC, I strongly suggest staying away from anywhere south of Highway 6 and east of Gilbert, unless it is in the Saddlebrook development. There has been a rise in crime in that area, and while it is still safe enough, there are many other equally affordable, nicer areas in town. Since you have kids, you may also want to stay away from the downtown area if you are looking to avoid students, who occupy many of the rentals near campus. It may also be cheaper to rent in Coralville or North Liberty, which are both very nice.

If you have any questions about the Iowa City area, I'll try to answer them for you
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2009, 11:09 PM
 
Location: SC
20 posts, read 88,889 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by iowegian View Post
It is about an hour from downtown Davenport to downtown Iowa City.

I live in the Iowa City area and I love it, there are plenty of things to do around here and I think it is a beautiful area. Schools are great, and it is overall extremely safe. I've never lived in Davenport so I'll leave that to QCI, but I don't think either would be a bad choice, it just depends what type of place you are looking for. You might want to consider a visit before you choose.

I think there would be plenty of opportunities for retail in either place. Davenport has plenty of large retail stores (with many more in the surrounding Quad Cities area) and Coralville (which is the largest IC suburb) is home to Iowa's second-largest mall, and is constantly building more retail stores around it.

Apartments shouldn't be hard to find in either area. If you are looking in IC, I strongly suggest staying away from anywhere south of Highway 6 and east of Gilbert, unless it is in the Saddlebrook development. There has been a rise in crime in that area, and while it is still safe enough, there are many other equally affordable, nicer areas in town. Since you have kids, you may also want to stay away from the downtown area if you are looking to avoid students, who occupy many of the rentals near campus. It may also be cheaper to rent in Coralville or North Liberty, which are both very nice.

If you have any questions about the Iowa City area, I'll try to answer them for you
I don't think Coralville is really a "suburb" of Iowa City.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2009, 05:17 AM
 
Location: Davenport, Iowa
413 posts, read 1,586,493 times
Reputation: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammdy View Post
I don't think Coralville is really a "suburb" of Iowa City.
Well, it is. Even its wikipedia entry starts out:
Quote:
Coralville is a city in Johnson County, Iowa, United States. It is a suburb of Iowa City and part of the Iowa City, Iowa Metropolitan Statistical Area.
Its much smaller than Iowa City, and a large amount of Coralville's residents work in Iowa City. There's a census bureau definition of a suburb around somewhere, but I'm pretty sure Coralville meets it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2009, 08:36 AM
 
Location: Des Moines
586 posts, read 2,008,980 times
Reputation: 379
LOL, Coralville is not a suburb. There's an entirely large community in the Des Moines area that refuses to admit they're a suburb too. Because Ankeny is 7 miles up the road and has a street with big box retail, they're apparently the center of their own universe, but I'd wager that 95% of employed folk come down to Des Moines, Ames and the western burbs when it comes to making a paycheck.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2009, 09:28 AM
 
11,288 posts, read 23,415,168 times
Reputation: 11190
I grew up in Coralville. It had respect in the metro area and has a decent size with lots of retail/ammenities - but at the end of the day we all knew it was basically a suburb. It wouldn't have 20K people if Iowa City wasn't hooked on next door.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2009, 09:20 PM
 
Location: Detroit, MI
37 posts, read 133,127 times
Reputation: 18
Thanks for all the info. Is North Park Mall The Largest Mall?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top