Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 02:06 PM

10 posts, read 82,277 times

Advertisements

I will be relocating to CR in the next few months from the south. I don't have any knowledge of the area other than a lot of statistical information. What are some good places to live? There don't seem to be a lot of areas to rent from...any advice? What are some good surrounding areas? I just need a starting point so that I can make a wise decision on my living arrangements. Any information is helpful...good and bad...I need to know. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2007, 02:19 PM

19 posts, read 79,961 times
I am from Dubuque originally, lived most of my life outside of Iowa, but I have lived in CR for a total of 6 years. We are considering moving from CR to either Huntsville or somewhere in North Carolina. Where are you from in the south?

Regarding your ???s, we also rent.....I am assuming you mean rental houses.....we had a hard time finding rental info online, as far as pictures of houses, etc. You can go to www.gazetteonline.com, which is the local newspaper site, they have classifieds online which you can view rentals......

I guess it depends on your situation....do you have children? Are schools important to you?

As far as areas to avoid-->anything from the inner city out to about 19th street in any of the quadrants (NW, SW, SE, NE). Other than that, there are spots in any of the four quadrants that are nice and low crime.

Let me know when you plan to move, maybe you can take over our lease from our rental house! We may be leaving within a month or two and our lease doesn't end until October. It is a nice house, only a few years old, 3 bedroom on a cul-de-sac. PM me for more info, if you like.

Good luck!

Old 04-26-2007, 05:15 PM

432 posts, read 1,659,998 times
Are there anything worth seeing in Cedar Rapids because I going to attend Mount Mercy college there? Or is there any place I should go to that is in cities around Cedar Rapids? Note: I'm from Eden Prairie which is a rich suburb in Minnesota!

Old 04-27-2007, 12:27 AM

2 posts, read 14,883 times
Default I'm moving to Iowa from Boulder

I'm moving to Iowa from Boulder, Co and will be working at UIOWA. I'm trying to decide where to live, IC or CR. Real estate is less in CR but from stats I've seen, CR is somewhat depressed economically and not much is going on there - and then you mentioned crime. There seems to be a big active UU church in CR which I always think is a good sign and may indicate a progressive community. What's the story on CR?

IC, on the other hand, appears to be prosperous, with many things happening - music, art, classes, restaurants, also a UU congregtion. Real estate is higher there. Is there really a big difference between the character of the 2 towns?

Old 04-27-2007, 09:42 AM

3 posts, read 29,696 times
Default iowa city is better

This is just my opinion... also keep in mind that I moved from Los Angeles to Iowa City (for school). I rented an apartment in Coralville my first year, but hated it. Not that its a bad town or anything. However if you're @ UIOWA everything is happening in Iowa City and after having spent three years living in downtown Iowa City its really nice to be either walking distance or a five minute drive from everything. When I was first moving to Iowa a 20-30 minute drive to get somewhere seemed normal but after living there that seems like too long to be in a car.

HTH

Old 04-27-2007, 09:45 AM

3 posts, read 29,696 times
I just reread your post CR=Cedar rapids?? you probably don't want to live in cedar rapids and work in Iowa City. Its a pain. And CR is economically depressed for the most part. Plus you have the awful smell from the quaker oaks factory.

Iowa City is a much nicer/cooler city (thus the higher real estate) its a really cute college town with a nice vibe from long time residents. Great school system. I miss it

Old 04-27-2007, 03:42 PM

196 posts, read 776,628 times
Iowa City is much nicer. CR is pretty industrial and the odors get to you.

Old 06-06-2007, 08:33 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,196,693 times
If either would work for you - shoot for Iowa City / Coralville / North Liberty.

I have lived in Chicago for 6 years, but grew up in Iowa City. The Iowa City / Cedar Rapids area are definitely a good place to be if you're moving to Iowa.

I wouldn't worry about crime in either place either - the entire area has around 330,000 people and combined only has 0-3 murders per year. It's extremely safe.

Cedar Rapids has a somewhat stagnant economy right now, but it's certainly not depressed. The area grew quite well in the 90's with the tech boom, and now it's in somewhat of a pause. It's not super industrial or grimy though.

Iowa City has been growing at a nice clip for the past 50 years, and isn't slowing down. Due to the slow and steady growth, it's found itself in quite a nice situation. Safe, clean, well kept, growing economy, extremely educated (well over half the population has a college degree). Most of the city is employed in education services, as opposed to Cedar Rapids which is more blue collar or telecom.

Old 06-17-2007, 03:52 AM

2 posts, read 21,442 times
Default Since you grew up in Cedar Rapids ...

... can you tell me where to go to meet nice people to spend some time on weekends? Our interests: to go for mountain hikes, other outdoor sports or even camping together? My boyfriend and I are interested in finding people with same interests. We are both global citizens, more than originally being from Europea and India, and want to find like-minded people.
Any comments welcome

Jutta

Last edited by juttagirl; 06-17-2007 at 03:53 AM.. Reason: correcting

Old 06-19-2007, 12:49 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,196,693 times
^ Iowa City would probably be a much better bet for a "global population". The University gets over 2,000 new international students every year, mostly Indian, Korean and Chinese. There are many Europeans though ( and people from everywhere really ), so you shouldn't have a problem meeting open minded worldly people. I think a lot of people who go to the U of Iowa choose to stay in Iowa City because it is a bit more progressive, liberal and open minded than other parts of the state. The more that stay, the more liberal it gets, and the more choose to stay on top of that.

Looking at stats, around 81% of residents in Iowa City have at least some college, and well over 50% have a Bachelor Degree.

That's my take after growing up there at least.

I know the Iowa City School district has over 150 international students from 25 countries, and has English Langauge programs at many of their schools. My parents currently live in a new, nice subdivision in northern Iowa City, and most of their neighbors are Asian.

You obviously won't find mountain climbing, haha, but there are lots of campgrounds, boating and nature areas at the Coralville Reservior and Lake McBryde - which are just a few miles north of downtown. (and 10 miles south of Cedar Rapids)

The Mississippi is only an hour north where you have lots of bluffs, caves and trails:

I didn't find it very difficult to meet new people in Iowa City. There are so many new people coming and going for the University - it makes it easier since there will be many other people who don't know anyone in town. The Ped Mall in downtown Iowa City has concerts every Friday night in the summer, and the University and Iowa City Public Library have dozens of different groups and events that they throw all year long. The sports aspect doesn't hurt either, as there are always tons of people at sporting events or in the bars throughout the downtown area.

Iowa City:

Living in Coralville or North Liberty (burbs hooked onto Iowa city), you can get to Cedar Rapids in 25-30 minutes for work and then back. It's all interstate, and it's never backed up or really slowed down. Thousands live in CR and work in Iowa City each day, and visa versa.

Anyway, Cedar Rapids is a very nice place, but I find that Iowa City is a very special place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa