U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2010, 06:23 PM

4,111 posts, read 8,004,267 times

Advertisements

"Inner city" is a subjective term. People have used the term "inner city" to describe Chicago suburbs like Harvey before (and there's nothing "inner" or "city" about a suburb outside of the city). Whenever someone uses a term like "inner city" or "ghetto," I prefer if it's defined before the discussion continues.

The PROJECTS are something very specific. And the vast majority of ex-CHA residents relocated elsewhere in the city. The tearing down of the projects has nothing to do with Iowa.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 07:03 PM

55,545 posts, read 49,483,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
"Inner city" is a subjective term. People have used the term "inner city" to describe Chicago suburbs like Harvey before (and there's nothing "inner" or "city" about a suburb outside of the city). Whenever someone uses a term like "inner city" or "ghetto," I prefer if it's defined before the discussion continues.

The PROJECTS are something very specific. And the vast majority of ex-CHA residents relocated elsewhere in the city. The tearing down of the projects has nothing to do with Iowa.
Chicago isn't the only place where housing projects have been torn down. Atlanta is the first city to do public housing. In the 1990's the housing projects started getting torn down. Many of the residents relocated to Clayton County and Cobb County.

I don't know if the tearing down of housing projects has anything to do with Iowa, but I do know something about many African-Americans leaving the Chicago area. In the 1980's, many African-Americans started moving to Wisconsin and Minnesota. Like Iowa, more benefits was part of it. In Minnesota's case, many African-Americans relocated to Minnesota for other reasons, such as jobs, and a better place to live. And Chicago wasn't the only place many were coming from. Many came from other places such as Gary and Detroit. There is even a story on NPR for it:Blacks In Minneapolis : NPR
MPR also has a story:MPR: Moving Up, Part One
MPR: Moving Up, Part Two
Minnesota had other factors.

Old 09-10-2010, 08:06 AM

11,288 posts, read 23,417,886 times
Quote:
BULL****! And shame on you for spreading this misinformation.

I read in the Chicago Tribune an article about how the vast majority of CHA residents relocated elsewhere in the city. Yeah, a few headed to the 'burbs but I highly doubt ANY of them went all the way to freakin' Iowa.

Do I really have to re-post all three of my comments from earlier?
Quote:

I like how you just spout stuff and decree it "THE TRUTH". How are you disputing as BS and misinformation that Chicago tore down its highrises and a vast majority of the former residents are black?!? (your quote to my comment). Read an article or venture into the city and walk around. I'm looking out at where Cabrini use to be right now from my office window. I see one white and two reds left.

Yeah a vast majority relocated to other areas in Chicago. So say 85% of 20,000 people stayed, well then 3,000 left, and a few hundred of those moved to Iowa City.

Read a news article or research it a bit, don't just sit on your couch declaring reandom things and being all hostile with the "SHAME ON YOU" "HOW DARE YOU". LOL, like i'm trying to perpetuate some insane conspiracy.

How many times have you visited the southeast side of Iowa City, chatted with the police in that area and hung out with the teachers in those local schools in the past few years? I have quite a few times. My best friend is a teacher in the middle of that neighborhood and transfered from a school on the west side of Chicago. She actually had a former student show up in her class the year after she transferred to Iowa. She said she about fainted at the chances of that ever happening. One of her students in Chicago actually showed up in my mom's 6th grade class as well at Roosevelt in Iowa City about 3 years ago as well (before my friend transferred back to Iowa). It was pretty crazy and ironic, haha.

It's not like I'm even trash talking a group or being horribly racist about anything. It's a current event, it's real, and we're having a discussion. If you don't like it than just choose not to take part.

Old 11-11-2010, 10:22 AM

Even if there are people coming into Iowa for welfare purposes, there are still those that aren't. Maybe it's because my perspective on life is different, but I don't get scared when I hear about people on welfare. The fact still stands that most people only stay on welfare for a year. Most people who are on welfare are White. And you never know, you might need it. There are many who speak of it as if they would never need it. Is Iowa ruined? Well, in my eyes, I don't see Iowa as "ruined". Maybe it's because I live in one of the most violent states in the USA, but I would hardly call Iowa violent or getting worse. A change in the racial composition? Well, perhaps, but it doesn't bother me. Perhaps being a Black man, seeing more Black people moving to Iowa doesn't scare me, but rather, the opposite effect. And even so, as it stands, African-Americans make up about 2.5% of Iowa's total population. African-Americans make up 13% of the USA population, which is about 5.2 times higher than Iowa's state average. At 2.5%,the percentages of African-Americans in Iowa is well below the national average.That is about 75,683 African-Americans. Iowa still has among the smallest percentages of African-Americans in the USA.

There were stories coming out of Ames, Iowa City, and Charles City. Iowa City's African-American population has dropped from 2,272 to 1,865. This is what I have found on this site. It has increased in Ames from 1,323 to 1,793. For Charles City, however, the latest data is from 2000. The Black population for Charles City(in 2000) was around 32. It has increased in Ames, Bettendorf, Cedar Rapids, Des Moines,Cedar Falls, Sioux City, Council Bluffs and Dubuque. The African-American population has decreased in Davenport, Iowa City, and Waterloo. Overall, the African-American population has increased over the years.

Old 11-11-2010, 11:59 AM

31 posts, read 95,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Even if there are people coming into Iowa for welfare purposes, there are still those that aren't. Maybe it's because my perspective on life is different, but I don't get scared when I hear about people on welfare. The fact still stands that most people only stay on welfare for a year. Most people who are on welfare are White. And you never know, you might need it. There are many who speak of it as if they would never need it. Is Iowa ruined? Well, in my eyes, I don't see Iowa as "ruined". Maybe it's because I live in one of the most violent states in the USA, but I would hardly call Iowa violent or getting worse. A change in the racial composition? Well, perhaps, but it doesn't bother me. Perhaps being a Black man, seeing more Black people moving to Iowa doesn't scare me, but rather, the opposite effect. And even so, as it stands, African-Americans make up about 2.5% of Iowa's total population. African-Americans make up 13% of the USA population, which is about 5.2 times higher than Iowa's state average. At 2.5%,the percentages of African-Americans in Iowa is well below the national average.That is about 75,683 African-Americans. Iowa still has among the smallest percentages of African-Americans in the USA.

There were stories coming out of Ames, Iowa City, and Charles City. Iowa City's African-American population has dropped from 2,272 to 1,865. This is what I have found on this site. It has increased in Ames from 1,323 to 1,793. For Charles City, however, the latest data is from 2000. The Black population for Charles City(in 2000) was around 32. It has increased in Ames, Bettendorf, Cedar Rapids, Des Moines,Cedar Falls, Sioux City, Council Bluffs and Dubuque. The African-American population has decreased in Davenport, Iowa City, and Waterloo. Overall, the African-American population has increased over the years.
Do you have some reputable references to go along with those statements. Because I have a hard time believing that CR, Davenport, Des Moines, and Iowa City's black population is decreasing. And

Old 11-11-2010, 12:01 PM

Quote:

Do you have some reputable references to go along with those statements. Because I have a hard time believing that Davenport, Des Moines, Waterloo and Iowa City's black population is decreasing.

Old 11-11-2010, 12:22 PM

They haven't. You can look up the 2009 estimates and the 2000 actuals from the census:

Census Bureau Home Page

Growth rate from 2000 to 2009 for the core counties of these metros (black population):

Iowa City: 45.5%
Cedar Rapids: 40.7%
Des Moines: 19.6%
Davenport: 16.0%
Waterloo: 1.8%
Dubuque: 55.0%
Ames: 19.7%

Not making any judgements or saying anything, just pointing this out to the person who said the black populations were FALLING.

Overall the state's black population is up by 24% from 2000.

As far as minorities though, Iowa has 76,000 blacks, but that is dwarfed by the 186,000 Asians/Hispanics. The asian population grew by 51.3% the past 9 years, with the hispanic population growing 58.5%.

I believe in 2009, Iowa cracked the 10% threshold as far as minority population.

Last edited by Chicago60614; 11-11-2010 at 12:33 PM..

Old 11-11-2010, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentleman of Leisure View Post
Do you have some reputable references to go along with those statements. Because I have a hard time believing that CR, Davenport, Des Moines, and Iowa City's black population is decreasing. And
I got all of it from city-data.com, this site specifically. By the way, I never said CR's African-American population was decreasing.

Old 11-11-2010, 01:36 PM

Quote:
I got all of it from city-data.com, this site specifically. By the way, I never said CR's African-American population was decreasing.
That is why I re-posted. My Bad LOL!

Old 11-11-2010, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I've noticed in multiple instances that city-data has some flawed data.

They show Iowa City as losing Hispanic population, although it actually grew by 54% during the past 9 years.

Last edited by Chicago60614; 11-11-2010 at 03:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or