U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2010, 03:35 PM

55,545 posts, read 49,483,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Sure. But I'm a lot more concerned with holding powerful people accountable than holding powerless people accountable. Like crooks in board rooms who choose higher profits over treating people with dignity. It's a lot harder to hold a powerful person accountable.
It is alot harder to hold the powerful accountable for this reason: Money talks. I think the poor are often resented for being poor and often broadly viewed as a "threat" to the rich. Why are the poor hated on more and held to more accountability than the rich? Less money. If you don't have alot of money, it is alot easier to punish you than a rich person. Example: Linsday Lohan drove drunk over and over, not to mention violating her probation. Throwing the book at her meant 90 days in prison. She also had some cocaine in her possession. If I had cocaine or was drunk driving over and over, I would be in jail for at least 5 years off of the cocaine alone. Lindsay Lohan has money, so the judge didn't sentence her the way poorer people would get sentenced. Money talks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 09:10 AM

4,111 posts, read 8,004,267 times
I mentioned Iowa City in my first post on this recent thread:

Is all the talk of "project teardown displaced residents ruin neighborhood" just discrete racism?

Old 11-30-2010, 11:35 AM

11,288 posts, read 23,417,886 times
^ I don't understand why you're so hot and bothered about this topic, being that you're hundreds of miles away, coming at this from a very Chicago-Suburban Chicago mindset, and then trying to project that onto Iowas, Iowa, and the situation in that state. You can't just project Chicago's social issues onto Iowa and assume they all function the same way. I've seen WAYYYYYY more racism in Chicago and the Suburbs there from both whites and blacks than I ever did in my 22 years in Iowa.

Not saying your thought process is wrong, but it's flawed in this discussion. You also keep professing this denial that blacks are moving to Iowa - that it's some small trickle of a few dozen. The Iowa City Community Schools had a transfer in during one school year alone (2008? 2009?) over over 300 children from the Chicago Public Schools during the course of the school year. I'm not saying that's a BAD thing and spouting racism, just that it IS a fact, and it's not just "a few random black families from Illinois" or something like that. It's a social change in the community, and that's what people are discussing. No need to be upset.

When I went to school in Iowa City back in the 1990's, the district was slowly becoming more diverse, but was still over 90% white. In 2009, the minority population had grown to 33% in the district. Of schools both my mom and my best friend taught in, or I attened:

From 1990's to 2009:

Wood:
Then: 93% white
Now: 39% white

Roosevelt:
Then: 82% white
Now: 39% white

Kirkwood:
Then: 79% white
Now: 49% white

Central:
Then: 92% white
Now: 70% white

My Junior High:
Then: 88% white
Now: 64% white

My High School:
Then: 87% white
Now: 72% white

Old 11-30-2010, 03:55 PM

89 posts, read 297,934 times
I grew up in Rock Island Illinois in the 70's. RI was a nice town to live in before they built this place called Valley Homes. "No" income Chicago scumbag gangstas moved in, lined up at the public trough and ruined the city. Before they built this slum, you could leave your bike unlocked in your front yard. After they built this slum nothing was safe. After our house was burglarized, my parents packed up and moved our family across the river to Bettendorf.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by griz134 View Post
you could leave your bike unlocked in your front yard.
Wow. Seriously? That MUST'VE been the 1970s.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I've seen WAYYYYYY more racism in Chicago and the Suburbs there from both whites and blacks than I ever did in my 22 years in Iowa.
Absolutely! I completely and 100% agree.

However, Iowa hasn't been put to the test yet. Let's see how "liberal minded" and "tolerant" white Iowans still are when they're the only white family left on their block and a group of black teenagers with gang colors is walking around outside. For now, I agree with you that Iowa is less racist than the Chicago region.

The most racist whiteboys I've ever met in my life are whiteboys who came from virtually all-black neighborhoods. It's a sad state of affairs but low-income black neighborhoods tend to breed "white power" skinheads more often than Eminems.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:11 PM

364 posts, read 668,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by griz134 View Post
I grew up in Rock Island Illinois in the 70's. RI was a nice town to live in before they built this place called Valley Homes. "No" income Chicago scumbag gangstas moved in, lined up at the public trough and ruined the city. Before they built this slum, you could leave your bike unlocked in your front yard. After they built this slum nothing was safe. After our house was burglarized, my parents packed up and moved our family across the river to Bettendorf.

I grew up in Rock Island in the 70's too. I remember Valley Homes very well. It looked like a new apartment complex for a short time, but it's condition deteriorated rapidly. We lived up the hill from Augustana College, hilltop area. It was a great place to grow up and very safe. However, I knew never to go anywhere near Valley Homes.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:35 AM

Quote:

However, Iowa hasn't been put to the test yet. Let's see how "liberal minded" and "tolerant" white Iowans still are when they're the only white family left on their block and a group of black teenagers with gang colors is walking around outside. For now, I agree with you that Iowa is less racist than the Chicago region.

The most racist whiteboys I've ever met in my life are whiteboys who came from virtually all-black neighborhoods. It's a sad state of affairs but low-income black neighborhoods tend to breed "white power" skinheads more often than Eminems.
True, but that statement almost sounds like it's a right of passage or something. A test for Iowa to go through to either take one direction or the other. No one should have to deal with groups of teenagers walking around with gang colors on intimidating their community - who cares what color you are, how poor you are, what your urban setting might be. I mean my family historically grew up in very intense poverty up until I was a little kid, and crime was never an option to any of them. Poverty might breed crime, but where I'm from it certainly didn't. I find Chicago to be quite the opposite. It's almost an excuse here to do whatever you want, and of course the other 80% of the metro really don't care as long as it stays on the other side of the tracks.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Wow. Seriously? That MUST'VE been the 1970s.
We actually grew up in town in Iowa City. All the kids in the neighborhood would always leave their bikes laying around everywhere - no one even thought for a second about it being stolen! Hell, we use to leave the front door unlocked and open from dawn to dusk, even when we'd leave. When it was nice out all the ground floor windows were wide open 24 hours a day.

Whenever we'd leave the garage door open all day on accident while at school/work, the frustration entirely had to do with the "weather" getting into the garage, snow, rain, wind, etc. Never once did we think someone might actually walk into our house or steal anything. That all started changing around the mid 1990's though. Not because of any bad influences or a change in the community, more just because the world was growing up, and Iowa City was growing much larger than the smaller town it was when my dad moved to town in the 50's and I grew up there in the 80's.

When my dad moved there in the 50's the area had a population of around 45,000. That had grown to 80,000 when I was born, and today is around 130,000.

I like that the city is growing, but I really miss the laid back, carefree and worry-free lifestyle from back 20-30 years ago.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:11 AM

55,545 posts, read 49,483,050 times
Quote:

You mentioned that some of the most racist White persons came from low income African-American neighborhoods. It brings me to ask another question. With all of the African-Americans I have met in my lifetime, the persons who had the most racist attitudes also came from low income African-American neighborhoods. It wasn't the African-Americans who grew up being the only Black kid(or one of the few) in their class. Conversely, some of the most racist White persons I have met came from predominantly White areas, particularly rural areas. Then again, I live in the South, so it might be a different situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or