U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2010, 08:58 AM

56,818 posts, read 49,884,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Yeah, I read about that case study in the book Freakonomics - Although not with the same detail that you read about it.
I have heard the word "Freakonomics" but I have never read the book. What did you get out of it?

It is easy for many people to think they know everything about what goes on in the housing projects or within the African-American community. I only have an idea, but I don't know everything. I am no expert. I only know what I have read. I know the things I have experienced as a middle-class African-American. What I don't know, is everything that goes on in public housing. I have never been to the projects. For that reason, I am not an authority on what goes on. Venkatesh went there and saw for himself, as an active observer. The main thing I got out of it is this: We don't know everything that goes on. What he saw was probably a fraction of what goes on in the public housing.

What is Freakonomics about?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 11:23 AM

4,527 posts, read 7,777,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I recently had to read a book for my criminology class called Gang Leader For A Day. A student from the University of Chicago went into the Robert Taylor housing projects and did his research in a way most sociologists avoid: He went there, did more than just talking with the people. He hung out with some of the people, listened. It wasn't just research from a book. It was going there and observing, talking, hanging out and made it an ongoing process. He found out alot about living in the Robert Taylor homes. One thing he found out is that nothing is as it seems. Everything is complicated. Yes, there were gangs, and yes, there were issues. The thing it, is also showed people who were down to earth, nice people, who aren't criminals. There are not the people who get the attention. It is the criminals who get the attention. I also never expected to find a gang member with a college education, who worked as a salesman. It turns out, there was a gang leader with a college degree. Why was he in a gang? According to him, he was finding that White people with less education than him got promoted faster than him, and quit his job. He later went into gang life. I also found in reading this book than many people will find ways to make money, even if its illegal, and many of persons coming up with money in "illegitimate" ways were simply people trying to survive. I also found out that some people in the projects actually worked, but never reported their wages for fear of losing their tenancy. Chicago isn't exactly the cheapest place to live, and the projects are public housing, so I can understand why some people would do that. Robert Taylor homes was basically set up to be away from everyone. It was in Chicago proper, but located in relative isolation. Visible from Dan Ryan Expressway, but sort of "over there" in isolation.

Another famous former Chicago resident wrote a book titled DREAMS FROM MY FATHER. In that book he devoted a chapter to telling the story of a friend who took advantage of the strict Chicago area gun laws about buying and selling firearms ammunition. The character in this chapter had made a bunch of money by buying ammo out of the Chicago area and bringing it back to the hood and selling it at outrageous prices. In the story eventually this guy had so much cash stashed in his apartment he was afraid he would be robbed and killed so he gave it all away. According to the author this was a true story although the names were changed... .

GL2

Old 12-15-2010, 12:09 PM

4,111 posts, read 8,034,138 times
Default I've had friends do things that didn't involve me too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post

Another famous former Chicago resident wrote a book titled DREAMS FROM MY FATHER. In that book he devoted a chapter to telling the story of a friend who took advantage of the strict Chicago area gun laws about buying and selling firearms ammunition. The character in this chapter had made a bunch of money by buying ammo out of the Chicago area and bringing it back to the hood and selling it at outrageous prices. In the story eventually this guy had so much cash stashed in his apartment he was afraid he would be robbed and killed so he gave it all away. According to the author this was a true story although the names were changed... .

GL2
It should be well noted that Obama is from the Hyde Park / Kenwood area - not the hood. His house is pretty big and has lots of security now that he's the president.

Last edited by urza216; 12-15-2010 at 12:28 PM..

Old 12-15-2010, 11:15 PM

Quote:
It should be well noted that Obama is from the Hyde Park / Kenwood area - not the hood. His house is pretty big and has lots of security now that he's the president.
That is now. When he first started his neighborhood organizing he was working in some of the less affluent parts of the City.

GL2

Old 12-16-2010, 08:47 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,863,652 times
Quote:
I have heard the word "Freakonomics" but I have never read the book. What did you get out of it?

It is easy for many people to think they know everything about what goes on in the housing projects or within the African-American community. I only have an idea, but I don't know everything. I am no expert. I only know what I have read. I know the things I have experienced as a middle-class African-American. What I don't know, is everything that goes on in public housing. I have never been to the projects. For that reason, I am not an authority on what goes on. Venkatesh went there and saw for himself, as an active observer. The main thing I got out of it is this: We don't know everything that goes on. What he saw was probably a fraction of what goes on in the public housing.

Let me google that for you

Old 12-16-2010, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
That is now. When he first started his neighborhood organizing he was working in some of the less affluent parts of the City.

GL2
Working in the hood is not the same as living in the hood.

Make NO mistake about it. Obama got to be president the same way the presidents before him did. He was born in the right place and in the right way.

Old 12-17-2010, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Working in the hood is not the same as living in the hood.

Make NO mistake about it. Obama got to be president the same way the presidents before him did. He was born in the right place and in the right way.
The only other recent Presidents that I can think of that had a similar background to Obama are LBJ, Ronald Reagen and Harry S. Truman. LBJ, RR, HST and Obama were born into lower middle class families. Eisenhower was born in similar circumstances but his career in the military propelled him on to the national political stage. Obama had/has some very powerful and influential people behind him helping him in his struggle to prominence. I don't see that any of these Men were BORN in the right place and the right time. The Roosevelt, Bush and Kennedy families are the ones born with the so called SILVER SPOON in their mouth.

GL2

Old 12-17-2010, 01:22 PM

Quote:

I apologize for just now getting back to you. I have been extremely busy the past few days. The other post was quicker than replying to this.

The term Freakonomics was coined by the two authors of the book, one of which is a professor of Economics at the University of Chicago. It's been a best seller. Each chapter is an article. I giess you could say the underlying theme is that nothing is ever what it seems. And it aims to question "convenional wisdom". The case study you referenced was heavily referenced for a lot of the chapter titled "Why do drug dealers still live with their moms?". It mostly focused on that college educated drug dealer in the housing projects you spoke of as well as his foot soldiers" in the gang. Something very interesting is that a typical crack dealer in Chicago makes about the same amount of money as a McDonalds employee. That was something I took out of it. I didn't read the case study in the same detail as you did but I just might have to look into it.

Old 01-29-2011, 06:17 AM

85 posts, read 348,877 times
Quote:
BULL****! And shame on you for spreading this misinformation.

I read in the Chicago Tribune an article about how the vast majority of CHA residents relocated elsewhere in the city. Yeah, a few headed to the 'burbs but I highly doubt ANY of them went all the way to freakin' Iowa.

Do I really have to re-post all three of my comments from earlier?
Bull**** back at you. I live in Davenport, and we have TONS of transplants from Cabrini Green. The slum lord that owned them also owns properties in Eastern Iowa. When they tore them down, a lot of residents moved to his other buildings. We have low income and section 8 apartments popping up here in Davenport every month. If you don't believe me, I'd be happy to draw you a map, and you can come and see for yourself.

Old 01-29-2011, 06:23 AM

85 posts, read 348,877 times
I was reading some of your other posts, and I agree with you on a lot of things, but you cant deny the truth of the matter. Would I mind getting educated, hard working black folks to move here, Hell No. I'd welcome them. Anyone who wants to work, and be a productive member of society, I'd love to have here. Unfortunately our welfare system is much more lenient, and easier to get than Illinois, so instead of getting middle class blacks as you were saying, we get people looking to juice the system. And to be fair I see people of every race here, that need to be cut off. Welfare was made to help people get on their feet, if they were laid off, just had a baby, single mothers going to school. It was not made to be on for generations. If you want to act like a victim, you will always be a victim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or