U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2012, 04:36 PM

78 posts, read 162,704 times

Advertisements

Guys, what the heck is really going on in CR in terms of chicagoland crime waves hitting the fruited plains? Are we talking a body count of 10 or more every weekend? Are we talking having to triple lock your door at night? Better question: have such cultural crap like the "knock-out" game reached SE Iowa? This is where a gang of "yoots" attack one lone white person and hit them until they pass out. Have things like that started to happen?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2012, 04:46 PM

Also, what is this Iowa City incident in 2011 some have made reference to?

Old 10-13-2012, 06:00 PM

8 posts, read 8,229 times
hey Adolf Germany is ----> way

Old 10-13-2012, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog08 View Post
hey Adolf Germany is ----> way
Hey Bulldog; whatsa matter? The truth hurt? Hey, can't fault you. Back in 1996 when all I had ever seen was quiet little Iowa, my response would have been the same.

Last edited by CasketKitten; 10-13-2012 at 07:40 PM..

Old 10-13-2012, 09:31 PM

56,074 posts, read 49,646,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
Makes sense.
As it should.

Old 10-13-2012, 09:36 PM

Quote:
It makes Iowa Citians extremely uncomfortable to say so -- nobody wants to be racist, there's a serious unfamiliarity with living with these issues, and the fact is this messed-up Chicago mentality about race lives here -- but criminal after criminal in the police blotter: black. The exceptions are mostly college kids drinking underage or holding disorderly parties.

Who's hurt worst by it? Probably the black Africans here to study or as refugees, because so many locals can't tell the difference between Sudanese and still-lives-half-in-Joliet.
How do you know every Black person coming to Iowa is looking for welfare or fleeing the three strikes law? My father is African-American and he went to Iowa because he was offered a job there. He made very good money working as an engineer there. I'm still working on getting into grad school at Iowa State. It isn't just African refugees getting hurt. What about decent, hardworking African-Americans who happen to live in Iowa?

Old 10-13-2012, 10:21 PM

1,922 posts, read 1,574,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasketKitten View Post
Hey Bulldog; whatsa matter? The truth hurt? Hey, can't fault you. Back in 1996 when all I had ever seen was quiet little Iowa, my response would have been the same.
Some people just refuse to acknowledge facts if it involves minorities.

I'm guessing you wouldn't want to live around a bunch of skinhead white supremacists thugs either. You've just had enough of violent crime, and want a safe town to live in. Right?

Old 10-13-2012, 10:24 PM

1,922 posts, read 1,574,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
How do you know every Black person coming to Iowa is looking for welfare or fleeing the three strikes law? My father is African-American and he went to Iowa because he was offered a job there. He made very good money working as an engineer there. I'm still working on getting into grad school at Iowa State. It isn't just African refugees getting hurt. What about decent, hardworking African-Americans who happen to live in Iowa?
I doubt very many people have a problem with your father moving to Iowa because he was offered an engineering job. Engineers aren't a big problem with causing crime.

Good luck with grad school. I hope it works out well for you.

Old 10-13-2012, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_IA View Post
I doubt very many people have a problem with your father moving to Iowa because he was offered an engineering job. Engineers aren't a big problem with causing crime.

Good luck with grad school. I hope it works out well for you.
No one will have a problem with him being an engineer. What I was talking about was this. It was mentioned that often, some residents can't tell criminals who happened to be Black from African refugees. If that is so, then the same could be said in terms of my father being mistaken that way. Engineers are not causing the problem. My father never represented that element. However, there might be people who mistaken him for some of the criminals who happen to be Black, especially because he is Black. What I've learned is that much of how you're perceived is about how you look.

Thank for the vote of confidence. With the way things are, I'm thinking I should go to grad school. I was offered a chance to go to Iowa State many years ago as a freshman. Money was a big issue, as I would have to deal with out of state tuition. However, I think I'm willing to put up with it this time.

Old 10-14-2012, 04:16 AM

708 posts, read 788,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
My best friend lives off Sycamore south of hwy 6 in Iowa City and has taught at Wood for the past 5 years. I stay with her often and we've chatted about the area. I think it's stabilized and gotten better since a lot of the stuff went down in the spring of 2011. My mom taught at Roosevelt for 15 years up until around 2009 and saw big changes in the school. Family moved to the city 65 years ago and was based most of that time in Coralville north of Central school (my school). That area is probably one that you're talking about when you mention Coralville. That area and the area up behind Hy-Vee and east of the mall south of the interstate.

I still love the area and go back to Iowa City every two months or so. I talked to my friends and family that have been in the area for decades. They still love the city and aren't overly concerned or making harsh judgements, but it's a very interesting topic to discuss. Especially since I've been in Chicago for the past 11 years and have dealt with a lot on the west/south sides where many people have fled the city, and my best friend/old roommate who taught on the west side for 5 years before moving back to Iowa City to continue her teaching at Wood where a lot of these transplants went. She actually knew a few of the students who moved, which is CRAZY since Chicago's district has almost 500,000 students!

I wasn't saying the district is great on paper, more just how much it's changed since I went there starting 28 years ago. There are so many more issues to deal with than there were back in the mid 1980's as far as the students home life. The county has grown from 80,000 back 30 years ago to 135,000 now.
You mentioned murder in one of your posts. I don't have any stats at hand, but you do realize that white people have been involved in more than one murder over the years, but we don't look at those sort of events and extrapolate that to the rest of the white community. There's Curtis Fry, Sueppel(who murdered 5 people), Michelle Kehoe, and David Christian that come to mind.

Regarding your comments about population growth...yeah that has caused some problems in general that entities like the school district and local governments haven't kept pace with. I do think it is interesting that this thread is about transplants, and in this area we only question some of the transplants. The IC area is full of transplants. I think the all of the schools on average are getting larger, and that brings its own set of problems.

Regarding your mom teaching at Roosevelt, I think the Roosevelt is a great example of how the school district really failed the community at large..I might write a longer post about that.

I won't disagree with you that a student's home life isn't important. I'll guess that I'm older than you, and I think one difference is that we simply talk about these issues more than we once did. I think they also become a scapegoat of sorts to explain why kids aren't doing better in school. If my kid sits to someone who has a bad home life that isn't an excuse for the education professionals to act at times in a very marginal way. When I actually had kids in a school that had a higher minority school I began to see the problems weren't all about kids coming from a bad home life...sometimes the schools weren't doing what they needed to do either.

One other thing though that bothered me with this area's unique response to our changing world. In the aftermath of some of the city council meetings, events like the Mother's Day riot, there has been a contingency of people who wanted to redefine some of these events(people at UI), people who wanted to say that IC shouldn't increase police coverage, or that residents didn't have the right to be bringing some of the issues to light, or calling the police at all. I found this particular aspect to be most bizarre.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or