U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2012, 01:24 PM

55,293 posts, read 49,411,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
I somtimes think they try to move away from each other.
1) I don't think every Black person tries to get away from each other.

2) If you really believe that Black people are trying to get away from each other, then I pose more questions.
a) Why do believe Black people want to get away from each other? What do you base your opinion on?
b) If you believe as such, what do you think of it?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 06:17 PM

11,288 posts, read 23,401,588 times
^ who said "every"? People jump to conclusions about stereotypes and trends people say and attack it like they're saying EVERY SINGLE person does this. Of course not, but you can't deny some trends.

I think the point was there are certainly some black people, many with children, who try to get away from some of the cultrual aspects that flow through many of the communities. It's not skin color people would try to avoid.

Old 10-21-2012, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
^ who said "every"? People jump to conclusions about stereotypes and trends people say and attack it like they're saying EVERY SINGLE person does this. Of course not, but you can't deny some trends.

I think the point was there are certainly some black people, many with children, who try to get away from some of the cultrual aspects that flow through many of the communities. It's not skin color people would try to avoid.
What am I suppose to think when someone says "I somtimes think they try to move away from each other" ?

If cultural traits were the subject at hand, then it should have been stated more clearly.

Old 10-22-2012, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy84 View Post
1) Well yes, they were domestic...but it does prove a point that there is considerable dysfunction going on in homes of all demographics. I'm not sure how you are describing violent crime. I haven't lived in IC continuously but I do know that crimes like sexual assault against women, non-sexual assault, and things that we'd consider stalking today were often underinvestigated, when I lived here before. I think if we only rely on the newspaper, we aren't getting a true picture. Coralville and North Liberty don't even have their police blotters online. For example, I was called to jury duty in the past year. I didn't get selected, but the crime involved a Caucasian person, with charges of sexual assault and home invasion. This story received almost no news coverage.....the actual trial itself was not covered at all.

2)Roosevelt....I think at some point that IC will have to look at closing older schools. I just think the whole process that Roosevelt ended up being the school to be targeted left an incredibly bad taste in everyone's mouth, since it had one of the poorer/more diverse demographics of the older schools. Where was the school board/administration when they should have been paying attention to the maintenance needs of the school? Not sure if you were aware of this or not, but one of the issues that came out of the Roosevelt fiascos is that the attendance areas were gerrymandered in such a way that was unfavorable to kids from disadvantaged backgrounds.

So now Roosevelt has closed, and the Borlaug school has opened. Most of the Roosevelt families were led to believe they could attend Borlaug...this ended up to be untrue. In a bit of irony, play equipment purchased by the Roosevelt PTO was moved to Borlaug....with no input from the community.

I think Roosevelt is just an example how the district historically doesn't give equal weight to all groups.

3)I'm not a teacher. I'm assuming you aren't either. I do know what I see with my own eyes. Do I think some of the "Chicago" families come from dysfunctional backgrounds...yes I do. It bothers me though how quick we are to assume that a kid who doesn't perform well in school, it is all because of the background of the parents....when we aren't doing that with kids from other backgrounds. I can say with my youngest kid, who has been the target of physical aggression several times from kids who have similar backgrounds to ours, that the school seems very slow to act...when in other cases if they were a Chicago kid...they'd be hauled off to a behavior disorder classroom fairly quickly. It is no wonder that at some point this population of kids becomes pretty jaded.
I can tell you that before I had kids in school my attitude was much different. Then I had kids in school, and could see first hand the mismanagement and apathy by the people who manage the schools, and it really changed my mind.
I don't know that much about public schools, other than my own experiences. However, what I'm seeing is that there are some issues here at hand. I don't know what to make of all of it, since I've never been to Iowa. I don't know what Roosevelt or Borlaug are like.

Old 10-22-2012, 07:21 PM

5,260 posts, read 8,375,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
1) I don't think every Black person tries to get away from each other.

2) If you really believe that Black people are trying to get away from each other, then I pose more questions.
a) Why do believe Black people want to get away from each other? What do you base your opinion on?
b) If you believe as such, what do you think of it?
OK, here goes.

I frequently see in my community instances where a black person or family moves into a neighborhood that is completely white. While I have no real problem with that, why do you think that is? Those of us that are white rarely choose to move onto an all black street, or an all Latino neighborhood, come to think of it. While I don't blame them one bit, the only conclusion I can come to is that they want to get away from each other, and all that great "culture" in their neighborhoods that comes with it. If "we" are so bad, why do they like living in our neighborhoods so much?

Old 10-22-2012, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
OK, here goes.

I frequently see in my community instances where a black person or family moves into a neighborhood that is completely white. While I have no real problem with that, why do you think that is? Those of us that are white rarely choose to move onto an all black street, or an all Latino neighborhood, come to think of it. While I don't blame them one bit, the only conclusion I can come to is that they want to get away from each other, and all that great "culture" in their neighborhoods that comes with it. If "we" are so bad, why do they like living in our neighborhoods so much?
Where all have you lived? I would say that not all Black people try to get away from each other, but from a certain subset of Black culture. Many Black people want to live in places where there is a sizable Black population, without the violent subculture. Many Black people settle in places that are between 20-30% Black.

Old 04-06-2013, 07:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,332 times
Default Chicago or not...

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Rhino View Post
I live by a lot of section 8 housing. I couldn't tell you if they came from Chicago but it doesn't matter. The culture and attitudes that tend to surround public housing are the problem, not the actual origin. About a block down from me there's a strip of section 8 duplexes. They're all ran down, there's trash all over the street, kid's toys in the sidewalks and strewn all over the yard, broken glass on the sidewalk and in the street and the cops are down there fairly often. I feel sorry for the handful of people who own homes on that block and have to directly put up with all of that. These people don't share the same values as the rest of us. Wherever they come from, it's brought me nothing but crime, pollution and atrocious public behavior. Go back from wince thou came.
I could not agree more. I happen to also receive section 8 in what should be a very nice complex. Low socioeconomic status does not directly equate to ignorance, substance abuse, poor hygiene, and a basic lack of respect. Try telling most of them that. Yes, the ranks have been raised by families seeking to make that grant go farther, but it is a phenomenon most definitely shared by Iowans in the same setting. Life is already hard enough without fulfilling that stereotype to a tee.

Old 04-28-2013, 11:35 AM

158 posts, read 385,968 times
I grew up in a suburb of Chicago, moved to Cedar Rapids and shortly after, Iowa city.
I have lived in an apartment complex with, I have worked with, and still work with transplants from Chicago. I have not had good acquaintances with any of them. Trashy neighbors who don't care about their own families (that I've seen), thieves (in my workplace)... I do my best to avoid thug lookin' crowds, before anyone accuses me of something I'm not, white thugs as well.

I don't quite know what to say about it all. It is really upsetting that my taxes go to people like those I have personally encountered.

Old 06-24-2013, 03:27 AM

39 posts, read 46,187 times
This isn't the first time. Many cases of it not only in Iowa but Wisconsin as well. It's really unavoidable. Chicago is going to have a lot of people some of which want to leave and have good intentions and want a better life and others leave because they have to. Chicago gives the folks in their so called problem areas incentives to get on a bus and go to places like Iowa, Wisconsin, down state Illinois. This is nothing new and has been going on for years, decades actually. New York City gave their homeless residents free one way airline ticket to anywhere they wanted to go. There was a bunch of homeless folks in Atlanta airport in the main lobby sleeping and they rounded them up and flew them right back to New York City. The better attitude to have is we are all in this together instead of saying hey these people are screwing up our area. If you see someone home all day, take action! Ask them, why are you home all day. Do you have a job? If not are you looking for a job? I heard such and such is hiring you may want to apply there. My friend needs such and such person to work for them do you have a resume I can hand them! I like this approach a lot better than saying oh well it's their problem. It's all our problems. I just believe if someone is willing to work there should be a job out there for them is all. If someone is not willing to work we all need to try to change that attitude or line of thinking and found out what's wrong and attempt to change it. Not everybody will want to be helped but a majority do want a better life I believe. The article is really quite silly as I've read about people from Alabama, Louisiana, Wisconsin, Minnesota, etc committing crime here. All I'm saying is if we as people take an active roll in our communities crime will be a lot less.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:33 PM

78 posts, read 162,218 times
I am glad that this is out in the open. I have seen enough. Iowa is no longer on our list of decent places to move to, especially Cedar Rapids/Iowa City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or