U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2013, 12:56 PM

179 posts, read 212,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasketKitten View Post
I am glad that this is out in the open. I have seen enough. Iowa is no longer on our list of decent places to move to, especially Cedar Rapids/Iowa City.
Um, okay....where are you moving to, some gated community somewhere? I don't get the logic behind this conclusion.....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2013, 03:34 PM

518 posts, read 486,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpHawkeye View Post
There's a very interesting column by the Des Moines Register's Marc Hansen today. I'll spare you political correctness and be very blunt with its topic: are urban black transplants to our state bringing inner-city problems with them?
Pretty much I would say yes, as one who grew up in New York City I can say from first-hand experience that every single time I was mugged on the streets, robbed at knife point, had my bike stolen, been threatened etc etc it was never by Caucasions, Chinese, Italians, Jews etc., it was always by inner city black, Puerto-Rican, Dominican Republic and Hispanic youth.
In fact, I remember in Brooklyn two neighborhoods as different as night and day, one street was an unofficial "dividing" line between the two, it was totally unreal! One the one side of the street the ultra orthodox jews resided, every one on the street wore the usual black clothes, even the kids, and long curls and hats, the streets and sidewalks were clean enough to eat off, shop keepers would be outside sweeping the sidewalks. No litter found anywhere, they even had neighborhood block patrols.

You cross the street to the other side and holy cow! scores of broken beer and wine bottles littered the sidewalks and streets, burned out abandoned buildings, and burned out abandoned cars setting on milk crates stripped of all the wheels and everything else on them, people hanging around on the stoops drinking, playing cards, trash and litter all over the street and sidewalks and you could feel the charged atmosphere of being a white guy riding thru that mostly black and I guess Hispanic and Puerto Rican/Dominican Republic neighborhood.
You would see home-made signs sometimes on out of the way spots designating the place inside as such and such "social club", often in the basement of an abandoned building, and the only thing "social" going on in there was hard DRUGS and more.

Get the book "Rock Solid" by Detective Bose and Barchiesi and see what the Lower East Side was like in the 80s- controlled by a major drug cartel who executed people even seen talking to a police officer.
In the later 90s the neighborhood changed and did a 180, I don't know where all those former residents went- the crowd of them on welfare who burned out their own apartments and trashed the entire neighborhood. At one point there were over 500 abandoned buildings in that one neighborhood alone, stripped and often burned out, no one cared to even maintain their own apartment building hallways and they would trash the hallways, urinate in the stairs and toss their garbage out the window into the airshaft between the buildings.

So called "Spanish Harlem" and West Harlem which was mostly black was a little better but not by much, it might have been because it seems more mature older people lived there than youths.

That was the reality of it, make of it what you wish

Old 07-14-2013, 07:03 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,622,607 times
Sweet Jesus. Seems we have ourselves a case of Chicken Little. A couple of isolated occurrences is all it takes drive some prospective folks off? Cedar Rapids is a very, very quiet city (even compared to peer cities) and most parts of the city are virtually crime-free.

The fact of the matter is, Iowa remains one of the safest states in the nation. Yes, the lack of a truly major city is a huge reason why, but even most medium-sized cities (50K+) in even the most sparsely populated states have minor gang activity. The fact of the matter is, Iowa and the rest of the nation isn't what our parents grew up with. It's just the way things are nowadays, for better (and unfortunately, mostly) worse.

Old 07-26-2013, 10:12 PM

17 posts, read 87,522 times
I'm just wondering what the current situation of all this was. I clearly see where people are concerned, as having lived in big cities before you have a 6th sense of who to avoid and when someone is suspicious. There are definitely some individuals who give off such a vibe in Iowa City and I have heard Des Moines, Waterloo, and Davenport are particularly worse. In the last month or so I've read about a home invasion in Iowa City and two shootings in Waterloo. Again, this is probably about average for a city of these sizes, maybe a bit lower, but I expected Iowa to be a place free of urban blight and where homicides and home invasions were one in a million, though evidently I was wrong.

My question is, has the situation gotten better at all as of 2013? Also what is the situation projected for the future? Is Iowa doing something to both accommodate transplants successfully or are they increasingly designating more section 8 housing and more are coming? I am going to be here likely for two years so I guess I should be somewhat informed.

Old 07-27-2013, 07:08 AM

1,667 posts, read 2,394,528 times
Unfortunately, crime has increased in the IC/CR area over the years ... everyone I know seems to be commenting about it, compared to how things were a few years ago.

From my own observations, I've seen an increased police presence in downtown Iowa City. There use to be a lot of loitering in and around my workplace by the homeless/unemployed, but that has pretty much completely stopped in the past year or so (lots of complaints from businesses). Cedar Rapids has also increased their police presence in problem areas downtown and establishment of a new police station directly in that area. Otherwise, I can't really answer your specific questions, but do know the area is very aware of this issue.

Last edited by smpliving; 07-27-2013 at 08:12 AM..

Old 07-28-2013, 12:09 AM

4,776 posts, read 6,501,451 times
This thread is 4 yrs old and the sky hasn't fallen yet. When I come to town seems like things are getting better, especially compared to the 80's when downtowns had that "rusty, tired, boarded up" look.

Old 07-28-2013, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seyz View Post
I expected Iowa to be a place free of urban blight and where homicides and home invasions were one in a million, though evidently I was wrong.

People still expect that of Iowa?
Even after the crack and meth epidemics that were known to wreck small towns all across the midwest?
Even after all the outsourcing of manufacturing jobs that wrecked small towns all across the midwest?

Old 07-28-2013, 01:12 PM

17 posts, read 87,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
People still expect that of Iowa?
Even after the crack and meth epidemics that were known to wreck small towns all across the midwest?
Even after all the outsourcing of manufacturing jobs that wrecked small towns all across the midwest?
I've actually read nothing but positive things about Iowa until I got here. Never expected to see areas of poverty and crime. I do understand this is all relative though and that "bad" Iowa is nothing like "bad" Chicago. My concern as someone who is going to be here for a few years, is that it will get worse. I don't know the back story, but from what I have read it seems like Iowa's low income housing that attracted and sort of suggested to cater to these individuals did so without proper infrastructural accommodations. Almost as if they expected people to come and life as it was would just continue, that these individuals would find jobs, and all would be fine. But I think all this speculation and citizen concern comes from the fact that the police weren't ready and the overall infrastructure wasn't ready to handle such an influx of people looking for work, "transplants" who just live and do nothing, criminals, and entire families. Which why perception and reality has become blurred. But at the end of the day I think it all works towards a less peaceful "coexistence" where nobody is really satisfied with the situation

This is all just outsider speculation of course and I would love to hear what long term residents have to say.

Old 07-28-2013, 04:43 PM

Quote:
I think all this speculation and citizen concern comes from the fact that the police weren't ready and the overall infrastructure wasn't ready to handle such an influx of people looking for work, "transplants" who just live and do nothing, criminals, and entire families.

Seems to me Davenport and eastern Iowa would have been ground zero for this influx..But I've never seen it. I grew up in Davenport and live in Chicago, I come home at least twice a month and I just don't see any difference.
A thread like this begging for links to hard numbers and proof of an influx of transplants or even a rise in crime..But instead it's all opinion.

"My concern as someone who is going to be here for a few years, is that it will get worse"

Worst than what? It hasn't gotten worse in the 4 yrs since this thread started.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:03 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,845,344 times
Quote:
I'm just wondering what the current situation of all this was. I clearly see where people are concerned, as having lived in big cities before you have a 6th sense of who to avoid and when someone is suspicious. There are definitely some individuals who give off such a vibe in Iowa City and I have heard Des Moines, Waterloo, and Davenport are particularly worse. In the last month or so I've read about a home invasion in Iowa City and two shootings in Waterloo. Again, this is probably about average for a city of these sizes, maybe a bit lower, but I expected Iowa to be a place free of urban blight and where homicides and home invasions were one in a million, though evidently I was wrong.

My question is, has the situation gotten better at all as of 2013? Also what is the situation projected for the future? Is Iowa doing something to both accommodate transplants successfully or are they increasingly designating more section 8 housing and more are coming? I am going to be here likely for two years so I guess I should be somewhat informed.
Heard from whom? I've lived in DM since 1999 and this has never been an issue that has gained any media attention at all here. In fact, I haven't heard any talk of this with the exception of this single thread on this forum.

Be careful where you get your information. Consider your sources.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or