U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-14-2013, 04:42 PM
 
55,521 posts, read 49,473,937 times
Reputation: 17208

Advertisements

Quote:
Statistics are everything. You can look to statistics to see why people react the way they do to "someone like you".
Statistics are not everything. Statistics only account for the group. They do not account for the individual. Those statistics cannot predict how I will behave. And why should anyone fear me based on what criminals who happen to be Black have done? And furthermore, how does anyone fearing me based on what some Black criminals have done benefit me? What do I get from it?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-14-2013, 04:47 PM
 
55,521 posts, read 49,473,937 times
Reputation: 17208
Quote:
The major disparity is in robberies and burglaries. Blacks commit 50% of such crimes, though as you said about 3% of the state is black. If you want to have an honest discussion about race you can't leave out this statistics. Until then you are just lying to yourself.
No one said leave out statistics. What I am saying is that you have to realize that those statistics don't apply to most of the Black population. Statistics apply to those who are part of those statistics. If I commit a crime, then I'm part of that statistic. However, since I am a law-abiding citizen, I am not part of those statistics, as an individual. Now answer this. If I have not committed a crime, why should I be treated like those who have committed a crime? What is in it for me? I ask because I have ME to worry about at the end of the day.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2013, 04:09 PM
 
17 posts, read 87,568 times
Reputation: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
No one said leave out statistics. What I am saying is that you have to realize that those statistics don't apply to most of the Black population. Statistics apply to those who are part of those statistics. If I commit a crime, then I'm part of that statistic. However, since I am a law-abiding citizen, I am not part of those statistics, as an individual. Now answer this. If I have not committed a crime, why should I be treated like those who have committed a crime? What is in it for me? I ask because I have ME to worry about at the end of the day.
Well how are yo carrying yourself? Are you walking down the street looking like an average guy? Or are your pants below your knees, you are wearing a do-rag, cursing, and yelling as you walk down the street? There is a major difference between the two. Being black absolutely should not be the only reason why someone should fear you. Your demeanor, attitude, and how you carry yourself speak much louder than skin color ever will. I am just as suspicious of a black guy behaving as I expressed above as I am of an unshaven white guy with bloodshot eyes talking to himself hanging loitering around a gas station. Being suspicious for someone for 'being black' is racist and inefficient policing. However, being of suspicious for someone who is black and is carrying themselves with a specific demeanor is not racism. Just as being suspicious of a white guy in a biker gang jacket is using common sense.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2013, 05:54 PM
 
25 posts, read 36,189 times
Reputation: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by seyz View Post
Well how are yo carrying yourself? Are you walking down the street looking like an average guy? Or are your pants below your knees, you are wearing a do-rag, cursing, and yelling as you walk down the street? There is a major difference between the two. Being black absolutely should not be the only reason why someone should fear you. Your demeanor, attitude, and how you carry yourself speak much louder than skin color ever will. I am just as suspicious of a black guy behaving as I expressed above as I am of an unshaven white guy with bloodshot eyes talking to himself hanging loitering around a gas station. Being suspicious for someone for 'being black' is racist and inefficient policing. However, being of suspicious for someone who is black and is carrying themselves with a specific demeanor is not racism. Just as being suspicious of a white guy in a biker gang jacket is using common sense.
Oh my. I could say so much but...I don't like where this topic invariably leads.
I will only say that anyone yelling, muttering to themselves, loitering suspiciously etc.is cause to be on the alert. But a doo rag or saggy pants or a jacket of any sort is not a reason to be apprehensive.
There are black males in this city that dress in this way because it is their expression and fashion statement. I am not the least bit worried to be near them. If I see someone walk past wearing a CRMC jacket ( the Cedar Rapids biker 'gang' ) I feel SAFE. The Chrome Horse Saloon is filled with people who look a certain way but who are among the kindest and most giving folks in the community.
You just have to eliminate appearance from your statement and limit judgment to behavior and we're on the same page : )
To make things even more interesting - my family is CRPD. I have a better idea than most what goes on in this town and by whom.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2013, 09:58 PM
 
4,778 posts, read 6,504,951 times
Reputation: 6132
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasketKitten View Post
From what I understand, the previous gov of Iowa, Villsack? Didn't court educated, middle class Blacks or Hispanics. He was after one block only; south side Chicago HUD housing residents. He had the word put out that HUD was plentiful in Iowa.

No doubt, he thought that these folks would vote for him and his cronies again and again, thus ensuring that Iowa stays blue forever more. This turning "blue" was another reason I decided against my home state. Why go all that way from one blue state only to live in another?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasketKitten View Post
When someone says "It is my understanding that", it generally means that they are basing the following comments on what they have been told. In my case, it was from people in the area, relatives.

I never, at any time, stated, "I have it as solid proof the following!"

Hope that clears things up for you.


When someone is talking about the known actions of a politician they shouldn't have a problem finding proof..That would seem clear for most folks..Did you even bother to look before making the statement?

Very simple question..How was the Govenor of Iowa courting southside Chicago Hud residents? Give one example.

And as far as Iowa "turning blue"...They voted in a republican Govenor..Do you now consider
Iowa a red state, Yes or no?

I hope you can clear these things up for me.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2013, 11:47 AM
 
25 posts, read 36,189 times
Reputation: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
Many south siders migrate to Quad Cities and Cedar Rapids when the goberment housing runs out. They bring all their baggage with them and we end up with policeman getting beat within an inch of their life.

This is nothing new though. I guess the eastern Iowa ghettos are getting full and they're migrating to Des Moines lol!
Are you referring to Officer Davis?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2013, 12:13 PM
 
55,521 posts, read 49,473,937 times
Reputation: 17208
Quote:
Originally Posted by seyz View Post
Well how are yo carrying yourself? Are you walking down the street looking like an average guy? Or are your pants below your knees, you are wearing a do-rag, cursing, and yelling as you walk down the street? There is a major difference between the two. Being black absolutely should not be the only reason why someone should fear you. Your demeanor, attitude, and how you carry yourself speak much louder than skin color ever will. I am just as suspicious of a black guy behaving as I expressed above as I am of an unshaven white guy with bloodshot eyes talking to himself hanging loitering around a gas station. Being suspicious for someone for 'being black' is racist and inefficient policing. However, being of suspicious for someone who is black and is carrying themselves with a specific demeanor is not racism. Just as being suspicious of a white guy in a biker gang jacket is using common sense.
Well, I carry myself like the average guy. I've seen White guys walk around with pants sagging and I never saw people fear them as Blacks who do the same thing are feared. Loud behavior, I avoid that no matter who does it.

I've actually walked into a bookstore wearing a suit. I got followed around the store by the store clerk, and she wouldn't quit. She followed no one else around, just me. Finally, I just left the store, and never went back I carried myself like a professional and still got treated poorly. That kind of stuff can happen. It isn't rational or logical. However, people will do illogical and prejudicial things.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2013, 09:26 AM
 
1,922 posts, read 1,572,905 times
Reputation: 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Well, I carry myself like the average guy. I've seen White guys walk around with pants sagging and I never saw people fear them as Blacks who do the same thing are feared. Loud behavior, I avoid that no matter who does it.

I've actually walked into a bookstore wearing a suit. I got followed around the store by the store clerk, and she wouldn't quit. She followed no one else around, just me. Finally, I just left the store, and never went back I carried myself like a professional and still got treated poorly. That kind of stuff can happen. It isn't rational or logical. However, people will do illogical and prejudicial things.
Everyone who is sagging should pull up their pants or stay home. What a stupid trend for any culture.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2013, 11:21 AM
 
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
2,401 posts, read 3,848,644 times
Reputation: 1444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_IA View Post
Everyone who is sagging should pull up their pants or stay home. What a stupid trend for any culture.
Pants On The Ground American Idol - YouTube
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2013, 11:44 AM
 
55,521 posts, read 49,473,937 times
Reputation: 17208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_IA View Post
Everyone who is sagging should pull up their pants or stay home. What a stupid trend for any culture.
It's stupid in any culture. However, I notice when White guys do it, it isn't treated with the same scrutiny as Blacks doing that same trend. That is at least what I see in my experiences.

And I would consider the rest of what I wrote.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:36 AM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top